The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1073 DPA as line in - a good thing?
Old 11th November 2006
Lives for gear

1073 DPA as line in - a good thing?

I've got a chance to buy a 1073 DPA at a low price. The quality of its mic ins goes without saying; however I do little live (mic) recording, but stacks of line-in recording (synths, etc).

What kind of 'Neve-mojo' (if any) can I expect using the line-ins? This unit is a step up from what I'm currently using, so the wonders of transformers is a mystery to me - the flyer for the unit states;

"Gain from the Line input is applied in the 2nd class A gain stage and is output through the same class A transformer coupled output stage as the Mic In"

Obviously I'm going to use my ears when I demo the thing, but some pointers from older, wiser minds would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 11th November 2006
Lives for gear

did you try to record vocals with it ?
Old 11th November 2006
Lives for gear

I know, I know - I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth here
Old 11th November 2006
Lives for gear

Its a great (!!!!) unit, if you can get a good price,i say get it - your call .

then you can just mess with it.
Old 12th November 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
I've got a chance to buy a 1073 DPA at a low price. The quality of its mic ins goes without saying; however I do little live (mic) recording, but stacks of line-in recording (synths, etc).

What kind of 'Neve-mojo' (if any) can I expect using the line-ins? This unit is a step up from what I'm currently using, so the wonders of transformers is a mystery to me - the flyer for the unit states;

"Gain from the Line input is applied in the 2nd class A gain stage and is output through the same class A transformer coupled output stage as the Mic In"

Obviously I'm going to use my ears when I demo the thing, but some pointers from older, wiser minds would be appreciated!

Thanks
Use two DI boxes and the Mic input when recording synths etc.

Compare that to the line input and make your choice.
Old 12th November 2006
Lives for gear

We have the DPD here (same analog circuitry).

If you like what this thing does at all, then you're going to like the line-ins as well as the mic inputs. It's a beautiful thing! thumbsup
Old 12th November 2006
Lives for gear

I use 2 DI Box into the micpre. Works great.
So I never bother to the line ins, but I will give a try.
This is a serious unit. If you can, don't think twice. Get it.
Old 13th November 2006
Lives for gear

to everyone who took time to reply - thanks

Never even occurred to me that a DI into the mic in was an option - you live and learn.
Cosmonauta - if you get a chance to post your thoughts on the DI > mic in versus line in sound, I'd be really grateful.

but I don't think I really need that much convincing to go for the unit....
Old 13th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrecording View Post
Use two DI boxes and the Mic input when recording synths etc.

Compare that to the line input and make your choice.
This thing has always confused me...in this way the DI box is used to turn line level into mic level. The preamp then turns the mic level into line level again

Have always thought a DI box turned high impedance electric guitar/bass outputs into mic level, which is then turned into line level by the mic pre.

Does this mean that you, in theory, also could take the output of a preamp (also line level!), feed it into a DI box and then into the mic input of a second preamp?
Old 14th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsson View Post
Does this mean that you, in theory, also could take the output of a preamp (also line level!), feed it into a DI box and then into the mic input of a second preamp?
Sure you could, but i can't imagine doing that in a recording scenario...
Old 14th November 2006
Quote:
Hah! I bet a new trend starts up: when recording mono vocals with your high end dual pre-amp you DI the output and go into the second unused pre for twice the mojo!!
Old 14th November 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
This thing has always confused me...in this way the DI box is used to turn line level into mic level. The preamp then turns the mic level into line level again

Have always thought a DI box turned high impedance electric guitar/bass outputs into mic level, which is then turned into line level by the mic pre.

Hi Mattsson
Yes you can if you want.
The point is that the mic input has the transformer based input on the DPD/DPA.
The DI box presents a signal it works best with being a mic input.
If you drive this transformer based mic amp hard it does "overload" in a very pleasing way on some audio.
Try it on a drum sub mix....
Old 14th November 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
So does this mean that the output of a preamp and the output of a electric guitar is of the same level? Doesn't make sense...

its not about level, its about impedance. i don't believe the output of a guitar and a preamp are the same impedance. i believe the guitar is a higher impedance signal, but i could be wrong.
Old 14th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
its not about level, its about impedance. i don't believe the output of a guitar and a preamp are the same impedance. i believe the guitar is a higher impedance signal, but i could be wrong.
Yes, that's correct. Guitar signals (from passive guitars, that is) are high impedance (in the vicinity of 1m ohm) and produce a signal level that is typically about -30dBu.

Mics are low impedance (600 ohms, 1.2k ohms etc) and lower in level - sometimes as low as -60dBu.

Line level may be low impedance, but over relatively short runs is now generally terminated with impedances of 10 to 20k ohms, sometimes higher - and at a nominal operating level of +4dBu (not even going to mention the pro-sumer line levels, since we're in the High End forum ).
Old 29th February 2008
Gear Addict

did anyone ever come to a conclusion on whats better, the line in or a DI

Ive been recently running my synths through the line ins on the dpa but through the mic ins on the API 3124.

i got a overly compressed sound when running the synths direct into the mic in on the 1073dpa.

would i also get a better sound if DI ing the synths before going into 3124 mic ins?

i run a lot of drums out of my synths too.

Thanks
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

If this is hooked up to a patch bay, how would one go about using the di box into the mic in and using the MIC in when there is a need. Doesn't seem to convenient
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear
The same as most other mic preamps? How is patching a DI in any different to patching a mic tieline to it?
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Here I'm, 9 years later from my last post on this thread... and Neve 1073 DPA stills my favourite vocal mic preamp.
And I still don't bother about it's LINE INs. Though it's available via my patchbay.
Just the other day I tried to run some signal through it... not sure if there's something wrong with my patchbay connections or if my unit is defective but all I got was a VERY low unusable signal from one channel and silence on the other...So I still can't comment about it's Line Ins.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonengineer View Post
The same as most other mic preamps? How is patching a DI in any different to patching a mic tieline to it?
Uhh no.

The DI can be a separate input into the patchbay. So you can switch it on an off in the front end. To my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong. If I didn't want to use the DI with the neve dpa I would have to go behind and disconnect the DI box? That was my original question
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonauta View Post
Here I'm, 9 years later from my last post on this thread... and Neve 1073 DPA stills my favourite vocal mic preamp.
And I still don't bother about it's LINE INs. Though it's available via my patchbay.
Just the other day I tried to run some signal through it... not sure if there's something wrong with my patchbay connections or if my unit is defective but all I got was a VERY low unusable signal from one channel and silence on the other...So I still can't comment about it's Line Ins.
Lolll
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
Uhh no.
Uhh yes.
Quote:
The DI can be a separate input into the patchbay. So you can switch it on an off in the front end.
This doesn't make any sense.
Quote:
To my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong. If I didn't want to use the DI with the neve dpa I would have to go behind and disconnect the DI box? That was my original question
I think you are missing the point. A patchbay would have mic ties on the top row, and inputs to the preamp on the bottom row. How is plugging a DI into the mic input on the bottom row any different to patching a mic into it? It's literally the same operation. Why would you be going behind the unit and disconnecting cables if you have a patchbay - that's what they exist to stop?
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonengineer View Post
Uhh yes.

This doesn't make any sense.

I think you are missing the point. A patchbay would have mic ties on the top row, and inputs to the preamp on the bottom row. How is plugging a DI into the mic input on the bottom row any different to patching a mic into it? It's literally the same operation. Why would you be going behind the unit and disconnecting cables if you have a patchbay - that's what they exist to stop?
Ahhhh so If I don't want to plug into the direct box on my patchbay I can simply bypass it by going straight into mic through the patch bay front. Okay wow, cool sweet I'm so glad I got into this patchbay thing. Still so much to learn
Which di box do you use preferably rackabke
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear
Yes - keep it simple! I use the BSS AR-133* and just use an XLR to Bantam cable to plug it in to the front of the patchbay - no need to rack it or hide it away behind the rack.

* Other more audiophile-friendly DI boxes are available.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search