The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Well-Rounded Mic Cabinet
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Head

Well-Rounded Mic Cabinet

Hi all,

Need some guidance in assembling a well-rounded mic selection for a small project-studio I'm building.

WHAT I WANT:
While I realize I can't have everything, I would like to achieve a reasonably wide tonal palette and versatile range of configurations.

WHAT I HAVE:

* Purchased a Neumann u87 Ai for my LDC and a solid base.

* Also just purchased a Royer Labs R-121 for my ribbon.

WHAT I NEED:

* a big, fat, warm and absolutely wonderful Tube (looking at that lovely Manley Reference Cardioid. Anybody heard it?).

* An exquisite stereo-matched pair of condensers (SD or LD fine) for XY, ORTF, Blumlein, NOS, configurations. Also want to recruit my other mics to experiment with M&S and Decca Tree configurations. Single-capsule stereo mics seem not to have sufficient versatility. I'll be using Grace Designs hardware for precision stereo rigging, so front vs side address appears not to be a significant factor.

* A handheld dynamic for amplification (Looking at the Neumann KMS 104+).

* Couple good boundary mics.

* A solid set of contact mics. Alternately, I could go DIY and just build these myself if someone hasn't really nailed this.

That should afford sufficient versatility starting out.

Any and all suggestions for my remaining needs are greatly appreciated!

Would Love to hear people's favorites!

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Graphorium; 1st July 2014 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Clarification of question
Old 1st July 2014
also looking for a well-round do and re? What about fa so la and ti?
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
also looking for a well-round do and re? What about fa so la and ti?
Bwahahahaha! Sorry, I accidentally hit the send button on my ipad before I had finished the question.

Very quick wit you have, sir!
Old 1st July 2014
You made me laugh, so, I couldn't help myself. LOL
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
You made me laugh, so, I couldn't help myself. LOL
You made me laugh as well, which made my morning!

Thank you!
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphorium View Post
WHAT I NEED:

* a big, fat, warm and absolutely wonderful Tube (looking at that lovely Manley Reference Cardioid. Anybody heard it?).
...The Ref. C is more of a modern, somewhat bright tube mic with a nice top sheen, but you may want to consider either the Pearlman TM-1 or TM-47, based on your use of desireable adjectives...
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

You say project studio. What are you recording?
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winny Pooh View Post
You say project studio. What are you recording?
+1

As far as I know KMS 104 is a condenser. You need a sm57 and/or md421 for guitar cabs. Keep it simple, don't try to reinvent the wheel

As kidvybes already said, Ref c is a bright, modern sounding mic. I'd say very bright.

Decca tree in a project studio? I'm sensing a bit of over enthusiasm. My advice is to stick to basics.

Boundary mics could come handy as "overheads" if your ceiling is low. Stick them on the floor in front of the kit.

Have a nice time building the studio, don't spend too much, it's not the gear!
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Maniac

SDC... Something in the Neumann range maybe? I've got a pair of KM184s that are steller and get used on every session. The only downside is no pad.. I think the KM84 has a pad. They are a close match... AKG 451c is another solid choice.

LDC... AKG 414!! If you are eBay savvy you can find a pair of the older Austrian made version. These are the ones you want... Huge low end response. Trust me, I've used them all.

421s & 57s are staples.

You can find a pair of PZM mics on eBay pretty cheap too.

The 104 is dope!

Always feel free to hit me up via PM.
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

Here's what I use.

Quote:

I bought two tube LDC's: Peluso 2247SE and Peluso P12.

Quote:
* An exquisite stereo-matched pair of condensers (SD or LD fine):
Schoeps Collette with MK4 capsules

Quote:
Pair of AKG C414's

Last edited by Swurveman; 1st July 2014 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
Here's what I use.

I bought two tube LDC's: Peluso 2247SE and Peluso P12.

Schoeps Collette with MK4 capsules

Pair of AKG C414's
All the Peluso mics I've used have been amazing. +1.
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Nice start.

How about some nice dynamics:
MD441
RE20
M88
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Yep, some dynamics.. beyer m88 and/or m201, sennheiser 441 and/or 421, mbho 219, shure sm57.

SDC: gefell m300, km84 (or even 184), shoeps cmc5 with mk4 capsules or jz 201 with swappable capsules.

LDC: Flea 47 or 49 if you want to nail that classic sound, Brauner or Josephson for a more clean and detailed/modern presentation, Violet Design Flamingo or a Globe Vintage for a great sound, that is classic without being a clone of a specific microphone, Manley is also pretty cool if you're looking for that kind of bright pop vocal sound....I have a Beesneez Mahalia which is fantastic for many tasks and is probably going for sale soon.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 4th July 2014
For a pair of SDC's you can't go wrong with the neumann KM 184's, they really do sound great on most sources, I have struggled to get a bad sound out of them. The AKG 415c are good if you like a brighter sound, it really depends on what style you record, is it commercial? is it rock, pop, or more jazz and classical orientated, and obviously don't expect to get good results in an untreated room
Old 4th July 2014
Quote:
Hi all,

Need some guidance in assembling a well-rounded mic selection for a small project-studio I'm building.

WHAT I WANT:
While I realize I can't have everything, I would like to achieve a reasonably wide tonal palette and versatile range of configurations.

WHAT I HAVE:

* Purchased a Neumann u87 Ai for my LDC and a solid base.

* Also just purchased a Royer Labs R-121 for my ribbon.

WHAT I NEED:

* An exquisite stereo-matched pair of condensers (SD or LD fine) for XY, ORTF, Blumlein, NOS, configurations. Also want to recruit my other mics to experiment with M&S and Decca Tree configurations. Single-capsule stereo mics seem not to have sufficient versatility. I'll be using Grace Designs hardware for precision stereo rigging, so front vs side address appears not to be a significant factor.

* A solid set of contact mics. Alternately, I could go DIY and just build these myself if someone hasn't really nailed this.

That should afford sufficient versatility starting out.

Any and all suggestions for my remaining needs are greatly appreciated!

Would Love to hear people's favorites!

Thank you so much!
The Lauten Oceanus will definitely suit your needs in the Tube Mic department! A fabulous edition to your mic locker.
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

For the tube you want a Lucas cs4. For the matched condensers it's schoeps Colette. I'm not sure what you want the handheld dynamic for, there are many good options. The dpa smk4060 makes a great set of boundary mics. For contact mics akg has a little bug called the 411 that is terrific.
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompower9 View Post
The Lauten Oceanus will definitely suit your needs in the Tube Mic department! A fabulous edition to your mic locker.
+1

I think the Oceanus gets over looked a lot because of its lower price. Soundpure has done a ton of videos with this mic.
Old 5th July 2014
Quote:

I've got a pair of Manley Gold Refs. Awesome mics, but not really what I'd call "fat and warm". A bit more of a C12/251 vibe, where the adjectives you use make me think u47.

If you've heard the Cardioid and like it, maybe you're after something a bit more present and modern-sounding? For that, I love (LOVE) the Josephson C715. Amazingly detailed, beautiful high end. Every time I hear a vocal recorded through it, I ask, "Whoa, what mic did you use on that vocal?" Great sounding mic. Gonna buy one in the next few months for sure. Bonus: it's FET, so there's no tube to worry about maintaining.

For a more decidedly "warm" vibe, I own and can vouch for the Telefunken u48 reissue. Probably more money than you wanna spend, but they're a helluva mic. In my regular day-to-day gigging, I routinely work with four different vintage 47s. One is hands-down the best mic I've ever heard, the other three are varying degrees of awesome. The Tele 48 beats all of em except the super-duper one. Really lovely-sounding.

Quote:
Geffell M300s are awesome, but cardioid-only. Their UMT70S is also pretty rockin', and those have switchable pickup.

Tough to go wrong with a good set of 451s, and they can be had for rather cheap.

My favorite SDC ever is the Neumann KM54, but those ain't cheap. KM64s are nice, too, and I think you can generally find those for a decent price. Just beware of potential tube costs!

Quote:
Audix OM5 or OM6, hands-down.

Quote:
Can't go wrong with the classic Crown PZM. But frankly, I'm not sure boundary mics really fall into the "must have" category. You'd probably be better-served spending the money elsewhere.

Quote:
Again, not sure these are really must-haves.

If you want a lot of variety (and it certainly sounds like you do!), check out the Placid Audio Coppertone. They're inexpensive, and they're really cool, and surprisingly useful.
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Addict

Gefell 930 matched pair.
Lauten Oceanus.
57 combined with your 121 for guitar cab.

Keep something in mind about the 121.
Its a ribbon for certain, but it's a Royer.

I love Royer, they make great mics but if you think that you've got ribbons covered with a 121, you are mistaken.

I would encourage you to look towards AEA. The 84 or the 840. The 840 would give you a different option for Vox as well as many other things. It's a great mic.

Between the gefell's and the AEA,you are getting somewhere.

Add an SM7,

You can fill out the rest with Audio Technica. 4050, 4051's etc...
Old 6th July 2014
Lives for gear

If you're willing to go vintage you definitely want to check of the Neumann u67 or 269.

LDC, Telefunken 251, or if you prefer that Neumann thing, Flea U47 or M49.
SDC Neumann KM84i(while this is a vintage mic they are fairly easy to find in good condition on the used market and there is less potential for issues than their pricier tube LDC brethren. The Telefunken 260 is another great SDC .
Ribbons: the Royer you have is a very nice ribbon mic check out the AEAs as they do a great interpretations of the classic RCA ribbons

Forget border or contact mics, i you have money left over get a pair of Flea M50s. These can do all that and more.
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
If you're willing to go vintage you definitely want to check of the Neumann u67 or 269.

LDC, Telefunken 251, or if you prefer that Neumann thing, Flea U47 or M49.
SDC Neumann KM84i(while this is a vintage mic they are fairly easy to find in good condition on the used market and there is less potential for issues than their pricier tube LDC brethren. The Telefunken 260 is another great SDC .
Ribbons: the Royer you have is a very nice ribbon mic check out the AEAs as they do a great interpretations of the classic RCA ribbons

Forget border or contact mics, i you have money left over get a pair of Flea M50s. These can do all that and more.
It was my impression that he was on a budget. I

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search