The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Do I need to buy a Telefunken power supply, or can I use any?
Old 30th June 2014
Gear Head

Do I need to buy a Telefunken power supply, or can I use any?

So I am wondering about buying a telefunken ar 51 used, without anything else. Which means I won't get the power supply, built by Telefunken themselves. So my wonders are, do I need to buy the Telefunken power supply, because its holy 600 dollars, or can I use any inexpensive power supply?

Do cheaper power supplies affect the sound at any point?

Anything I have to worry about when buying 3rd party power supplies? I mean, a power supply is a power supply, right? They are all built to do the exact same thing, right?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MountainStream; 30th June 2014 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Pressed enter by accident, so I posted a thread only containing the title.
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear

You need THAT supply...And cable...
Tube mics use a very specific made supply...
Why does it NOT have the supply?
How can you be sure it works?
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear

if a mic this "young" comes without any acessories (cable, power supply, shockmount) it screams stolen. might not be. but i'd still have the seller send you the serial number and double check with telefunken to make sure. buying stolen mics (even without knowing) means, that they legally not belong to you. which can end up in lots of frustration.

ps: the psu you can only get from telefunken. unless you pay a local tech - which ill most likely end up more expensive. good luck!
Old 1st July 2014
A new AR-51 power supply from Telefunken Elektroakustik is not $600, it's $179.00. The cable is $169.00:

M 901 Tube Microphone Power Supply(AK-47mkII, AR-51)

M 801 Tube Microphone Cable (R-F-T, ELA M 260 Series)

Methinks the mic is "hot"...
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

A few weeks ago a guy had a AT4060 mic on ebay, selling just the mic...
He had the Supply and mount listed separately...Maybe this was his way to get MORE $$ than "Complete" the way it is SOLD new...
Old 8th July 2014
Hey Tim thanks for chiming in! The $600 supply referenced by MountainStream would be our fully-loaded deluxe supply made entirely in the USA, the same supplies that come with our Diamond Series mics (C12, 251). They have some fancy build features and a cooler aesthetic but the standard RFT supply you've linked to is of course completely sufficient. Although it could be possible to use one of our RFT mics with a different mfgr's supply and/or cable we certainly don't recommend it and any warranty would be void.

To MountainStream...yes I would be concerned with stolen gear, however anything is possible and it could certainly be legit. I'd consider asking the seller if they have the accessories and if you're able to buy them. If you can get us a serial number then it's possible we can track some info for you but nothing is definitive once a mic leaves here, it could've changed hands multiple times and we'd never know.

Feel free to PM me with any details or questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
A new AR-51 power supply from Telefunken Elektroakustik is not $600, it's $179.00. The cable is $169.00:

M 901 Tube Microphone Power Supply(AK-47mkII, AR-51)

M 801 Tube Microphone Cable (R-F-T, ELA M 260 Series)

Methinks the mic is "hot"...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search