The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Nucleus - using as a usb soundcard? - no joy so far! Control Surfaces
Old 30th June 2014
SSL Nucleus - using as a usb soundcard? - no joy so far!

Got my Nucleus on Friday

Got it setup with 'Tools & Logic.

NOT able to get the USB soundcard aspect working on OSX......

I've got the Nucleus Remote working, but not the usb control panel... (and yes, the driver is installed :D )

Any suggestions?

Dan
Old 30th June 2014
Gear Addict

open a support ticket to SSL.
mine works well...
Old 30th June 2014
Solid State Logic

Is it being plugged in to a USB3 port on a Mac?
Old 30th June 2014
Gear Addict
SSL support are the best
Old 30th June 2014
No Jim, plugged into a Boggs USB port on the mac.

SSL have said that it's a known issue with certain macs.

Shame there's no fix for it though. Quite an expensive controller tbh.
Old 30th June 2014
Solid State Logic

Could you PM me your incident number with the support team so I could have a quick check on it?

Just to be thorough... :-)
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Maniac

I read somewhere that the Nucleus 1 is no longer supported as an interface past older IOS.

Can anyone confirm or deny? The used prices are nice but would it work on my new iMac?
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mack View Post
I read somewhere that the Nucleus 1 is no longer supported as an interface past older IOS.

Can anyone confirm or deny? The used prices are nice but would it work on my new iMac?
Confirmed, it's no longer supported as an audio interface.
Old 11th July 2017
d3l
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Confirmed, it's no longer supported as an audio interface.

We are talking about 10.12 OSX?
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear
My Mackie Control is getting old and worn out - it lasted 10 years so not too bad really.

Would an SSL Nucleus make a decent controller for Cubase 9?

I have an RME interface system already for my Windows 7 workstation but will the USB interface part of Nucleus work with Windows 7?

They go for about £1800 which isn't much more than a Mackie Universal and extender - the Nucleus seems a more elegant solution plus one day in the future I might get a Sigma too so I'm definitely interested if it's a good match with Cubase.

Thanks
tht
Old 11th July 2017
Gear Maniac

I think I read that it cannot function as an interface past 10.9

It seems like a steal at the used price. Especially considering the analog preamps onboard. If you happen to be in the market for a 16 fader controller and could use a few more high end preamps. Even a Behringer X-Touch with extension faders is almost $1,000. So for roughly another $1,000 you get SSL quality and support with 2 bonus preamps.
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
My Mackie Control is getting old and worn out - it lasted 10 years so not too bad really.

Would an SSL Nucleus make a decent controller for Cubase 9?

I have an RME interface system already for my Windows 7 workstation but will the USB interface part of Nucleus work with Windows 7?

They go for about £1800 which isn't much more than a Mackie Universal and extender - the Nucleus seems a more elegant solution plus one day in the future I might get a Sigma too so I'm definitely interested if it's a good match with Cubase.

Thanks
tht
Yeah, it's a great match. Also with the Sigma.
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

If you want a decent controller for Cubase, get a Eucon device (artist mix, s3, etc.) They can do much, much more than any Mackie HUI emulator. Eucon is deeply integrated in Cubase/Nuendo because it was developed for it first (before Pro Tools) and is still really well supported. Even the SSL Sigma is better integrated with Eucon because it can do way more than Mackie HUI. Why anyone would want to buy an old nucleus that isn't even supported by SSL any more (at least properly) vs something that is current is a little
If you want SSL pres/dynamics, buy them separate and integrate them however you'd like.

For instance, SSL Sigma, Eucon, Cubase being shown off:

Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
If you want a decent controller for Cubase, get a Eucon device (artist mix, s3, etc.) They can do much, much more than any Mackie HUI emulator. Eucon is deeply integrated in Cubase/Nuendo because it was developed for it first (before Pro Tools) and is still really well supported. Even the SSL Sigma is better integrated with Eucon because it can do way more than Mackie HUI. Why anyone would want to buy an old nucleus that isn't even supported by SSL any more (at least properly) vs something that is current is a little
I would respectfully disagree. Nucleus is still fully supported as a controller, no issues there. It's identical to the new version in that respect. The build quality of the Nucleus is much better than any Eucon controller I've used, and I have owned the artist series and S3. I sold my S3 and bought a V1 Nucleus, and have no regrets. It's just solid.
Old 13th July 2017
Solid State Logic

I'd also point out that the MCU integration with Cubase/Nuendo is far deeper than the HUI integration. Yes, the Artist series can be a nice option but please don't assume that "not EuCon" = "HUI only".

Just ask Logic users etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search