The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing Headroom Premaster Analog Processors (HW)
Old 30th June 2014
Here for the gear

Mixing Headroom Premaster

Just wondering where all you Hi End guys stand these days on how much room to leave for mastering on your final mixes...i feel like 32 bit recording has changed the way we might do it a little.

Thoughts...
Old 30th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArsehole View Post
Just wondering where all you Hi End guys stand these days on how much room to leave for mastering on your final mixes...i feel like 32 bit recording has changed the way we might do it a little.

Thoughts...
I honestly don't think about it at all.

Like most people, when I'm mixing on my desk, I'm usually hovering around 0VU, which ends up with peaks between -6 and -3dbfs on print back.

When I'm ITB, levels range from -10 to -0.1. As long as I'm not lighting up any red lights in the DAW or somewhere on my DAC, I'm happy.

The only reason I even know those peak values is because I usually Audiosuite 2 or 3db of limiting on refs I send to clients, so I check my peak values before typing in settings on the limiter. Otherwise, I don't think I'd know (or, frankly, care to know) where those peaks are hitting.
Old 1st July 2014
Here for the gear

Hey why audio suite?...curious
Old 1st July 2014
Here for the gear

also...isn't leaving room for mastering playback important...gaining 24 bit files down at mastering is not ideal...is it?
Old 1st July 2014
Quote:
Hey why audio suite?...curious
So I can apply it after the mix is printed quickly before sending out client refs. The limiting isn't present on the actual mix; it's simply added for the clients' listening pleasure.

Quote:
also...isn't leaving room for mastering playback important...gaining 24 bit files down at mastering is not ideal...is it?
If you're not clipping, you're fine. Turning down a 24 bit file is not a problem in any way.
Old 2nd July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
So I can apply it after the mix is printed quickly before sending out client refs. The limiting isn't present on the actual mix; it's simply added for the clients' listening pleasure.
Right...never done that...good idea as opposed to a plug on the master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
If you're not clipping, you're fine. Turning down a 24 bit file is not a problem in any way.

I completely disagree. If a mastering engineer has to turn down a 24 bit file at all, there will be an instant affect to the depth of field that the ME will have to work to get back.

A 32 bit file is completely different ... I'm still learning what recording 32 bit files is al about...it is definitely something I like.
Old 2nd July 2014
Quote:
Right...never done that...good idea as opposed to a plug on the master

I completely disagree. If a mastering engineer has to turn down a 24 bit file at all, there will be an instant affect to the depth of field that the ME will have to work to get back.

A 32 bit file is completely different ... I'm still learning what recording 32 bit files is al about...it is definitely something I like.
It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. What I said wasn't my opinion.
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear
The noise floor of 24 bit is -144 dBFS. The noise floor of a chip is around -115 dBFS. The noise floor of the best analog chain knocks that down another 5-10 dB. The buzz of your guitar amp, when nothing is playing through it, knocks that down another 10-20 dB probably.

So that's the reason you can turn a 24 bit file down a little without any worry about it being an issue. All the other noises in your chain significantly outpace the noise floor of 24 bit.
Old 3rd July 2014
Here for the gear

Back on topic though...nobody's noticing a difference with 32 bit files...sonically I mean? How about delivering 32 files to mastering?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search