The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Gates STA Level output problem
Old 29th June 2014
Here for the gear

Gates STA Level output problem

Hello,

I have a question about my old Gates STA Level:

Is it normal, that the compressed signal is louder (without using the output knob) than before (not compressed)? Even if have the output knob at zero, the signal is to hot for my console.

Has anybody got any experience using this old compressor?

Thanks for your help.
Old 29th June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942Banner View Post
Hello,

I have a question about my old Gates STA Level:

Is it normal, that the compressed signal is louder (without using the output knob) than before (not compressed)? Even if have the output knob at zero, the signal is to hot for my console.

Has anybody got any experience using this old compressor?

Thanks for your help.
The STA Level has a 600 Ohm output impedance and also expects a 600 Ohm load. Your console most likely has an input impedance in the tens of kOhm range. So you'll have to use a 600 Ohm termination resistor between Hot and Cold of the output of your Sta Level to terminate it correctly and attenuate the signal down to a usable level.
Old 29th June 2014
Here for the gear

Hey Markus, ich danke dir! :-) Gruss Severin
Old 29th June 2014
Here for the gear

Markus, kann ich dafür eine DI-Box verwenden?
Old 29th June 2014
Gear Nut

Nein, das geht damit nicht. Ein Dämpferpad klappt aber prinzipiell auch.
Old 29th June 2014
Here for the gear

Welche Hersteller bieten solche Dämpferpads an?
Old 29th June 2014
Old 29th June 2014
Gear Nut

Ja, könnte funktionieren. Ich hab bei meinem Sta Level wirklich einfach nur einen 580 Ohm Widerstand zwischen Hot und Cold geklemmt, das ist supereinfach und passt vom Pegel her danach optimal.
Old 29th June 2014
Here for the gear

Wie meinst du "eingeklemmt"?
Old 29th June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Wie meinst du "eingeklemmt"?

Hat dein STA Level hinten so eine Schraubleiste für die In- und Outputs ?
Wenn ja, dann einfach zwischen Hot und Cold zusätzllch einen 580 Ohm Widerstand, zusammen mit den Anschlussleitungen einschrauben. Oder sich einfach ein XLR Adapterkabel löten, bei dem bei einem Stecker der Widerstand zusätzlich zwischen Hot und Cold (Pin 2 und 3) eingelötet ist.
Old 29th June 2014
Here for the gear

Ja, es hat eine Schraubleiste beim Output, wo drei Käbelchen eingeklemmt sind. Ein XLR-Adapter ist bereits dran. Der Widerstand muss einfach nur zusammen mit dem blauen und roten Käbelchen eingeklemmt werden? Klingt wirklich einfach. Muss ich beim Vorgehen etwas Wichtiges beachten?
Old 29th June 2014
Gear Nut

Ja genau, einfach ein Bein vom Widerstand zusammen mit dem Roten, das andere Bein mit dem Blauen Kabel festschrauben. Der absolute Widerstandswert ist relativ unkritisch, du kannst einfach einen 560 Ohm, 0,5W Widerstand nehmen (das ist ein Standardteil was du auf jeden Fall bei Conrad oder Reichelt bekommst)
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

It all sounds normal to me. You need an additional output pad. The output control does not give a lot of range, and additional padding was the expected method of control if outside of the available range.
Old 29th June 2014
Here for the gear

Ok, ich werd's ausprobieren und dich wissen lassen, ob's funktioniert hat :-) Vielen Dank schon mal!
Old 29th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
It all sounds normal to me. You need an additional output pad. The output control does not give a lot of range, and additional padding was the expected method of control if outside of the available range.
Thanks for your post!
Old 29th June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Ok, ich werd's ausprobieren und dich wissen lassen, ob's funktioniert hat :-) Vielen Dank schon mal!
Please write all your posts in english language in the future. This is an international forum and the topic could also be interesting for people who can't speak German
Old 4th July 2014
Here for the gear

Hallo Markus, hat bestens funktioniert, danke!
Old 6th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusSamper View Post
Please write all your posts in english language in the future. This is an international forum and the topic could also be interesting for people who can't speak German

https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search