The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bbc calrec s-series console configuration?
Old 27th June 2014
Here for the gear

Bbc calrec s-series console configuration?

Hi All, I've got the chance to buy the below BBC Calrec console for quite cheap but from the picture i'm struggling to see where the bus and master sections are.
Does anyone know how they normally use these desks? What configuration as it's doesn't look obvious to me… Or indeed how this desk could be used?

Thanks in Advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Bbc calrec s-series console configuration?-bbc-calrec.jpg  
Old 27th June 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
You have to remember that most of these desks are custom AND broadcast oriented so they may well not CURRENTLY have the facilities you wish.
The ONLY way to find out what any particular desk has available is to read the 'block schematic' for THAT desk
as although other desks using the same modules (or some of them) will be similar they may well not be the same.
Talk to the seller and get the information you need.
I have been 'reconfiguring' various Calrecs for quite a while and usually many 'alterations' are possible. I even have some useful boards to extend the capabilities of some desks, most recently was a 'S' type.
Matt S
Old 27th June 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply and the info Matt. This console is in an online auction that doesn't work like ebay for example, i don't have a contact for the seller or access to any paperwork that might (or might not even) come with it. It's a bit of a risky buy so i'm not sure if it's worth it ultimately other than the fact that it's very cheap for a Calrec console of that size.
Old 27th June 2014
Lives for gear

Hi

Just a wild guess as what I know about Calrec you could write in foot high letters on a postage stamp..... that said, it uses stereo PPMs so is a stereo console, it has 8 clusters of buttons at the top of the channel modules and there are four faders to the right of the console. A wild guess might pre-suppose it mixes down to four separate stereo busses... often a master and a clean feed. I have no idea what it does for auxes.
Old 27th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbankato View Post
Hi All, I've got the chance to buy the below BBC Calrec console for quite cheap but from the picture i'm struggling to see where the bus and master sections are.
Does anyone know how they normally use these desks? What configuration as it's doesn't look obvious to me… Or indeed how this desk could be used?

Thanks in Advance!
Ah so you were the reason it got bumped up only joking......but seriously you were.

Old 27th June 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
The 'S' desk I have here has 6 auxes, 5 mono and a stereo.
Some of the panels that appear 'blank' may well have the mix amps in them, or not!
There are some modules in the meterhood, These could well be Aux master modules (the one here has this) or they could be comp/lim modules.
There would appear to be a selection of mono and stereo channels in the desk.
An 'all singing and dancing' version has quite a few buses available but you can't tell what THIS one actually has without decent pictures.
Matt S
Old 28th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy drage View Post
Ah so you were the reason it got bumped up only joking......but seriously you were.

Ha. I didn't actually bid in the end. was kicking myself all last night until this morning i noticed it eventually went for £4.5k which wasn't so much a bargain to me and could well have been a bigger headache than was worth. who knows though (apart from the winning bidder of course)

Thank you for the input though everyone!
Old 28th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
The 'S' desk I have here has 6 auxes, 5 mono and a stereo.
Some of the panels that appear 'blank' may well have the mix amps in them, or not!
There are some modules in the meterhood, These could well be Aux master modules (the one here has this) or they could be comp/lim modules.
There would appear to be a selection of mono and stereo channels in the desk.
An 'all singing and dancing' version has quite a few buses available but you can't tell what THIS one actually has without decent pictures.
Matt S
Yeah after quite a bit of looking around online i'd figured out that those 6 modules in the meterhood are 4x compressor/limiters and 2x gates.

But the bus and master sections were confusing me and i'd heard that the BBC calrecs were all configured completely bespoke.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search