The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Must-have channel strips
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysimo View Post
Hi,

title pretty much says it all.
What are your first options?
In the High-end field, of course.
I am looking for something quite versatile, the ideal would be something useful both in tracking and mixing; thinking about API the channel strips for its incredible versatility, yet API is not my favourite color!
Thanks,

SS

You don't mention a specific Source you intend to capture , so I will assume it's an all rounder you're in search of.

2- AMS NEVE 8801'. One is very cool but 2 with expansion cards will set the bar pretty high.
It's as frugile as it is pragmatic a choice, or consideration.
It's an undeniable studio asset in pairs.
There it is.
Was I the first to chime in with the correct answer?:-)
Enjoy shopping.
Old 30th June 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
OOOPS! Missed that one!

I knew that if I threw out the 737 that would get some of the defenders going. I actually have no axe to grind against the 737 other than the comp isn't stellar until you get the Babyface mod.
There's been some confusion re the Baby Face mod around here where misinformation just seems to be regurgitated Internet hubris.While I don't know the exact commence date, 737s have come stock with this mod for quite sometime.....For eg, my 737 doesn't have the uber slow comp that people complain about

I actually found the comp on the STT-1 to be a hassle to setup and would get grabby as **** real easy
-
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
There's been some confusion re the Baby Face mod around here where misinformation just seems to be regurgitated Internet hubris.While I don't know the exact commence date, 737s have come stock with this mod for quite sometime.....For eg, my 737 doesn't have the uber slow comp that people complain about

I actually found the comp on the STT-1 to be a hassle to setup and would get grabby as **** real easy
-
Correct, all 737s after 50,550 have this mod. No complaints here with the comp in mine.
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

I love my Pendulum Audio Quartet 1

and also the sebatron thorax
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Maniac

+1 on AwTAC Awesome Channels.

They really are awesome
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Maniac
I've owned an ISA 430 for a while.
I'm sorry to say I really didn't like it; way too clean and polite.
both eq and comp didn't "give me somethin"; I didn't feel pushed to tweak it while recording or going OTB while mixing.
Just a personal thought thought.
Old 2nd July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
both eq and comp didn't "give me somethin"; I didn't feel pushed to tweak it while recording or going OTB while mixing.
Ok...so what channel gives you that "something" then?
Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Addict

Retro Powerstrip.

Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear
I keep coming back to my 6176s.
They don't get a lot of love here, but I find it really easy to hone in on the key area of the sound and make every thing fit together nicely.
Not the quietest units out there so they can get a bit noisy when recording a quiet mic on a quiet source.
Old 2nd July 2014
Here for the gear

powerstrips and 6176's...beat a 430?

OK.
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Re: 6176

If we're gonna have a collection of must haves then I'd put a 6176 in there. The 610 is a bad ass on bass and synths. Kind of picky about mics and vocals, but it's got its strengths. Changing the tubes in the pre improves headroom and drastically reduces distortion.

But it's way down the list for me. So many others channel strips that are more versatile.
Old 2nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArsehole View Post
powerstrips and 6176's...beat a 430?

OK.
'beat' = may in certain situations be preferable depending on the individual's audio aesthetic. there are no absolutes here, just preference.

oh hang on this is gearslutz. ISA 430 mk2 SUCKS!!! i know that for sure without ever having laid hands on one.
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post

-
Thanks for the clarification! I guess the only 737s I even got to play with were pre 50,000 cuz that was the thing I hated about that box...Just the comp was lame. The pre is fine and the EQ though a bit limited works well. Build quality is always top notch with the Avalon stuff.

Guess I need to change my 737 bashing ways now....heh
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you had a MK1 I would say it is not nearly as good as the MKii. It is a very polite box like you said. Still some killer tools all in one box and the individual outputs on the back for each individual section make it very useful.
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Maniac

As mentioned a few times above, the Portico II Channel does it for me....so much so, I bought a second one
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindsor View Post
As mentioned a few times above, the Portico II Channel does it for me....so much so, I bought a second one
Me to - have two of those babies, and when not either tracking or mastering with them, I run my digital music trough my Mytek DSD 192 DAC and the Porticos and they are just unbelievable as line level preamps!
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
One of my favorite channel strips is the Daking Mic Pre/EQ. Super fab on kick, bass, vocals. Class A gooey-ness!
i second this...kills on my acoustic as well
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

A unit that I've used both live and in the studio for years is the ADT TOOLKIT A single rack space unit with an impressive array of processing possibilities and an even more impressive performance.

Separate (transformer balanced) mic-pre and line inputs, high and low pass filters, an expander/gate with side chain EQ, VCA compressor with envelope and crest adjustments, a five-band parametric EQ and a brick-wall limiter. All the processing sections can be switched in or out of the audio path independently and there are two separate, independent outputs. Both outputs are always active and the second output (which has a level pot) can be sourced post mic-pre or post processing.

The unit has headroom for days and extremely low noise, is built like a tank and requires the separate Power supply unit which will power up to four channel strips. It's clean and fast but not sterile, a very balanced sound with a sweet high-end. The processing is extremely powerful and does exactly what they are supposed to and perform in a no nonsense manner, the EQ and compressor are especially impressive in operation and flexibility.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
i second this...kills on my acoustic as well
The best HPF, musical - pad.

Vocals
Acoustic anything

Always so happy to use the little green brick.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear
A big shout out for the SPL Channel 1.

Underrated.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search