The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar Amp Switcher
Old 23rd June 2014
Guitar Amp Switcher

Hi sluts!

Need some advice/help. I have 6 amps in my studio that I am continually switching between, however using just one cab.

Is there any amp switchers you can recommend? Or could this be something I could potentially make myself.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Just bumped this old thread and added pics to it de Lisle Amp/Cabinet Selector

The Ampeg System Selector will allow you to switch between your six amps and one cabinet however you will still need to physically plug your instrument into the six amps one at a time or get another device to do that (radial makes one). One tip with the Ampeg unit is that with tube amps, you should put them into standby BEFORE doing any switching as an added safety.
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Making an amp switcher is really an easy project if you are handy with a soldering iron, and are confident in your abilities to avoid accidentally screwing something up.
I have way too many amps laying around being used all the time and ended up just putting together a very basic amp switcher for ease sake. I basically just got several big switches (one for each amp), speaker wire, several hefty 1/4" plugs (one for each amp input and one for the single output), a dummy load for each amp (I just grabbed a 100w/8ohm resistor for each amp - pretty expensive and a safer rating would be 200w), and a small chassis. Build time was maybe an hour or so.
Now there is always the possibility that a resistor could short out at some point (rare), or I could engage multiple amps at once and not realize it (not likely), but in about 5 or more years of using it it has never been an issue. I always make sure that whatever amps I am not using are either on standby or off. But if worst ever came to worst and I blew up something....I'd just have to take the amp out and fix it...not a huge deal for me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search