The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone own the Grace Design M906 Surround Controller? Monitor Controllers
Old 10th November 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone own the Grace Design M906 Surround Controller?

I have been researching pretty much every brand of Surround Controller and this beast just has everything feature for feature..It is pricey, but it will be a piece I will have forever. So I ask does anyone have one that can comment on it? Would love to hear some feedback. Cheers.

Rob
Old 10th November 2006
Here for the gear

I have known Mike Grace for years, and was just up at Grace Design last week. While I don't own one, I can tell you that his stuff is awesome and seeing the build quality first-hand, you know it's going to be around for a long time...
Old 10th November 2006
Lives for gear

we have the grace stereo monitor controller and Multimax for surround. Grace is very well built and sound very good. The Multimax has a lot of features that come in handy for surround, particularly for movie/games etc.

The other really great unit is the Meitner, but with that you get few features while the sound is the best out there.
Old 10th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Grace M906

I am using the 906. it's kind of utilitarian in a way in that its basicall flawless. Does exactly as advertised... lots of inputs, .5 DB gain separate gain control for both headphone outs and monitors, configurable etc.

Audio path is extremely clean, the DAC's are as good as it get's in my opinion. I have just recently brought the mytek 8x192 ADDA after comparing against the Lynx Aurora and using my cranesong and Grace as references. For what goes in comes out honesty, the Grace sits at the top of this heap together with the mytek.

I love the avocet but if you are looking at surround, then the Grace does this more elegantly and for less financial pain.

Dangerous and SPL options are just not in this league.
Old 11th November 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

The Grace is an excellent sounding well designed unit. The only thing it doesn't do is bass management. The headphone amp is sick, converters great, and maybe it's just me, but I do like hearing relays a-clicking.
Old 12th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcause View Post
I am using the 906.........

I love the avocet but if you are looking at surround, then the Grace does this more elegantly and for less financial pain.

Dangerous and SPL options are just not in this league.

Yeah, after looking at ALL these + the Studiocomm, Audient, and MartinSound stuff, the Grace just has every feature..granted it is about $2K more than everything else. For me I need dual 5.1 Inputs, dual Stereo and Digital inputs and Downmix...It is the only unit that has it all and importantly, simple configuration and excellent sound. My MOnitors already have Bass Management, so it is not an issue for me at all. Thanks for the comments guys...I believe I know what My next purchase will be.
Old 12th November 2006
Lives for gear

Owning & using the 906 for quite some time I must say I´m still VERY happy with it.

I wrote a little review about it here

Excellent centerpiece for a "mixerless" DAW studio like mine.

I LOVE the headphones preamp when tracking - makes me feel good as a singer.

Some members on this board reported that it sounds less "natural" than the Avocet which to me personally is b........but as allways - whatever works.
Old 13th November 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
It is pricey, but it will be a piece I will have forever.
Forever? Not sure.

But I'm also very happy with it - everything under control with a very compact remote. Inputs, headphone amp, all the features mentioned before are great - plus, I really like the cue & talkback section.

The only thing I would like to see: selecting a third set of speakers. Right now you can only realize that via the "mon to cue" function. Not too comfortable.

Although the Avocet is truly a great sounding unit, I didn't like the handling too much - far better with the m906 IMO.
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

Are people still happy with their m906's ?
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

2006 thread - nice !
Have sold mine since I went for a d-command
and the current HD converter generation easily surpasses the old grace.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search