The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 Series Comp Most resembling Manley ELOP
Old 19th June 2014
Gear Head

500 Series Comp Most resembling Manley ELOP

I love my Manley ELOP, but I'm in the process of increasing my rack density and reducing rack spaces via the 500 series, and am looking for a suitable replacement.

I'd like to stay under $1000 and am considering Brute or the JML Opto Comp, but would go higher if needed (Pendulum?) to retain that ELOP vibe. My ability to listen to these units in person is limited, so I would be interested in hearing from GS members who have heard these units (or others) in terms of what most resembles the ELOP.

Thoughts?
Old 19th June 2014
Gear Maniac

There are a bunch of opto comps out there, but nothing in my opinion that comes close to the ELOP, you just can't fake all those Tubes and Transformers!

Still there are some nice comps out there, I found the Grace Opto to be incredibly versitle. It's got that smooth glassy thing that I loved about the ELOP, but it just doesn't add any thickness like the ELOP does.

I'd also check out the RND 543, It's not an Opto but it is very versicle.

On the low end, I'd even look at the FMR RNLA500, I have the original stereo unit that is slow and gooey sounding, From what I've heard from clips of the 500 series version, it does seem more hifi then the original.
Old 19th June 2014
Jai guru deva om

A contender would likely be the Serpent Audio Chimera which is a 500 series optical compressor with a limit / compressor mode. It mainly goes after the classic LA3A but man does it rock.

A bare bones and very nice optical compressor in 500 series is the xqp 541. It is a one knob, very simple but predictable compressor that could easily take on vocal tracking duties, bass etc.

War
Old 19th June 2014
Gear Head

I have the great river compressor and retro double wide.....there amazing pm me if you want to know more about these units!
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Well if you don't mind a little bit of diy you could 2 x la500 from jlm audio. Incredible comps and just tell him you want them stereo matched and hell do it gratis
$800 for that type of quality for 2 chanels is such a good deal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search