The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL 4000G+ owners Consoles
Old 17th June 2014
Gear Maniac

SSL 4000G+ owners

Hi There,

Here's a couple questions for 4000G+ owners ONLY, specifically those who use it in a non commercial space, like a home studio or private one:

Ideally for a smaller cutdown system (16-24 channels with master, NO computer, NO Total Recall, No Moving Fader Automation, no plasmas or LCD only VU meters)

1. How much power does it ACTUALLY consume?? (Too many contradictory stories out there)

2. How many of you switch it on only when you want to work and then switch it off again when you're done? How safe is it, generally?

3. How many of you keep it powered up always? What kind of electricity usage and bills do you see?

4. Is it possible to modify a larger frame with blanks to be able to mount 19" rack rails (much like the patch bay) and install outboard into the console frame itself? Anyone done anything like that?

Any advice, recounting of experiences good or bad, and pics of mods done would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Old 17th June 2014
Deleted User
Many people are buying the Atomic psu for the SSL.

Sorts out most of what you've asked.

Atomic Instrument
Old 17th June 2014
We have a 4048G+ which we power down every night. I was told by a very very experienced & reliable source that G series can handle this fine and we've had no issues. Likewise it can stand to be left on permenantly if preferred.

If you can afford this desk you can afford the electric bill. I can't tell you specific power consumption, but I'm sure that info is available somewhere online. If used 8-10 hours a day everyday, budget around £250 a month extra, maximum (or equivalent in your currency). Power in the UK is very expensive right now so you'd be better finding out the actual energy consumption and applying it to your own local rates.

Larger frame consoles can be modified to house rack units in place of fader buckets, but it would be a custom job to do this and why you'd want to replace fader buckets on a desk like this I would have no idea

Although the electric usage is a consideration, another important consideration is weight. Just make sure you have a strong floor to put it on, preferably solid concrete!

Also, you need to budget for maintenance. It cost me about £600 to buy a small supply of replacement LED bulbs. After the initial installation you may require several visits from a tech to iron out niggles as the desks don't like to be moved. Once they've settled they're pretty stable though. Service fully once or twice a year and you should see reliable continuous use.

Good luck!
Old 18th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAliveHQ View Post
We have a 4048G+ which we power down every night. I was told by a very very experienced & reliable source that G series can handle this fine and we've had no issues. Likewise it can stand to be left on permenantly if preferred.

If you can afford this desk you can afford the electric bill. I can't tell you specific power consumption, but I'm sure that info is available somewhere online. If used 8-10 hours a day everyday, budget around £250 a month extra, maximum (or equivalent in your currency). Power in the UK is very expensive right now so you'd be better finding out the actual energy consumption and applying it to your own local rates.

Larger frame consoles can be modified to house rack units in place of fader buckets, but it would be a custom job to do this and why you'd want to replace fader buckets on a desk like this I would have no idea

Although the electric usage is a consideration, another important consideration is weight. Just make sure you have a strong floor to put it on, preferably solid concrete!

Also, you need to budget for maintenance. It cost me about £600 to buy a small supply of replacement LED bulbs. After the initial installation you may require several visits from a tech to iron out niggles as the desks don't like to be moved. Once they've settled they're pretty stable though. Service fully once or twice a year and you should see reliable continuous use.

Good luck!
Thanks Dave, exactly the kind of wisdom I was looking for.
Old 18th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul EQ View Post

Atomic Instrument
Paul,

Thanks for that. Very informative, glad to see a company dedicated to this.
Old 18th June 2014
Gear Nut

Attached Files
File Type: pdf physicalconsiderations.pdf (34.6 KB, 152 views)
Old 18th June 2014
Lives for gear

For power-up and down...I have always went with the approach...If it's tubed, it's gets turned on when I am using it. If it is solid state, it's always on.
Old 18th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul EQ View Post

Atomic Instrument
Very interested in this product. Would love to hear the opinions from the many people who are buying this, not just the owners of the company and beta testers.
Old 20th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Holy Grail, thanks for that.
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAliveHQ View Post

If you can afford this desk you can afford the electric bill.

Good luck!
Thanks Dave. Yup, I know that I can afford it, but I'm seriously thinking of a very small cutdown 16 channel version, which will be housed in an apartment. Its not the cost so much as the consumption that I guess I was asking about.

The weight of the console is a very good point that you've raised, my tech has even insisted that I get a floor loading capability study done for the room where it would tentatively go into, but I cannot seem to get clear cut answers on this.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me what the weight of the following would be:

1. an EMPTY 8 (or 16?) fader bucket? With or without the 8 VU meters is fine, please specify which.

2. just the "stand" (feet + cross member) for a 40 fader?

3. The entire Patchbay?

4. The producers desk (NOT the engineer's table below the 12U standard patch bay)

I would really appreciate this info, if anyone has answers.

The reason I ask is that I cannot compute the required answers from the SSL physical considerations brochure

Many Thanks!!!
Old 22nd June 2014
Deleted User
A friend of mine has a 16 channel SSL desk with meter bridge on a stand - he has an external patch bay.

He has it in a room in his house.

It was lifted into the room unloaded by two people without a sweat.
It's not as heavy as old API 1604 or Neve desk full of transformers.

Cool little desk..
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search