The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avalon V5 (broken?)
Old 13th June 2014
Here for the gear

Avalon V5 (broken?)

Hey guys,

My preamp (Avalon V5) sounds a bit dull/muffled. Like there's laying a pillow on top of the vocals. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. But now people are telling me an Avalon needs to sound pretty clean. Well yeah.. it doesn't really. I don't know if it's broken? And how to see IF it's broken..
Been using the Avalon with a Neumann TLM 103, Avantone CK6 & AKG C214. All mics sound pretty crisp when plugged into my Focusrite pre amp and even straight in the interface but when I put 'em in the Avalon.. It just sucks.
There's no noise or hum or whatever it's just that the amp sounds like it's missing some clarity, especially from 5-6kHz and higher.

Any opinions on what can be broken? Or how to fix this?

Greets!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search