The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fearn Vt7 Vs Chandler Zenor on the mix buss
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Fearn Vt7 Vs Chandler Zenor on the mix buss

Fearn Vt7 Vs Chandler Zener on the mix buss

mainly for some light mastering and to turn a recording into a record ? ...

should i be considering any others and does anyone know how these 2 fair against each other ?
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

The Fearn VT7 is far more transparent than the Chandler Zener, though... exactly this is what I love on it - the colour. Kept the Zener. Some love it some hate it... If you can, try both and see what fits your needs better then. It may depend on what you already have in your rack. Also, the Chandler can be a THD monster if you run the unit hotter. IMO it absolutely excels on drum-driven stuff (full programm), or drums only, vox only, git, synths... The Comp1, Comp2 and the Limit-mode combined with the SC Filter up to 300Hz make it really versatile. Amazing glue, I am a fan heh
Old 13th June 2014
I've used both, many times...The Chandler Zener is a dense/punchy aggressively colored compressor with radical "action" to it. Very grabby and beefy in a good way. Has a tonal approach and heavy amount of color that reminds of listening to Dark Side of the Moon. Thick and Sweet. Big sounding box, and again -it adds nice density. But its more similar to the TG1, [than a VT7] just more insane overall. With the Side-Chain Switch, you can shape the compression more than you can with a TG1. I love the Enveloping you can get with Electric GTRS, because it really adds excitement to the players by ramping them up and down in the mix. This thing is really awesome at aggressively sculpting and shaping.

The DW Fearn VT7 is not at all like that. More Round and Fluid/Smooth. It doesn't add weight but it has super tone. The Compressor has tune-able Knee Shape so you can customize the Compression Severity to your liking but it NEVER gets as aggressive or as "hard" as the Chandler. I think it sounds Super Clear and Glossy. Somewhat Softer, and more glowing. The Sound of Glass. Full Frequency and Very Transparent "Smoothing" Compression. It doesn't "explode" on things. Unless you have it set incorrectly. Its not loudness machine, and doesn't try to be all things to all people.

It has the Fluidness of a Tube Compressor with the Depth and Clarity of the best Solid-State Compression Circuits out there. Its not another Fairchild or LA2A, its something different and new. To my ears, very musical and warm without being overbearing. Perfect for the Mix and blissful for tracking/mixing elements. It has custom Jensen Transformers, so the tone is unique to Doug's other units. The VT7's compressor uses a solid State Pulse-Width-Modulation Cell, so you are less likely to hear it "working" other than gluing and evening out program. It is a smooth machine with a lotta glue.

Good luck,
Old 14th June 2014
Gear Addict

Hi Doc, can you compare the VT7 vs GH BA660?
Old 14th June 2014
The Greg Hanks box has 5 compression emulations on it, Fairchild, LA2a, SSL quad, Neve2254, and RCA BA6A. Then A "GH" Mode with No Emulators.

If you want to discuss things with greater detail,
You can email me directly,
[email protected]
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

I absolutely agree with Doc Mixwell, but let me add one thing: aggressive compression is NOT the only thing the Zener is capable of. Comp1 and Comp2 work with a 2:1 ratio and can do gentle compression as well.
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
I absolutely agree with Doc Mixwell, but let me add one thing: aggressive compression is NOT the only thing the Zener is capable of. Comp1 and Comp2 work with a 2:1 ratio and can do gentle compression as well.
thanks again for the info , both sound amazing in some respect !
Old 13th July 2014
Gear Guru

I've had a zener for years and its never ever won a shootout on mix bus.messed w the stereo image a bit..shrinkage?
love it for other stuff though.parallel drums/gtrs/vocals is good.
different strokes though.maybe you will like it.
the Fearn is nice for some mix buss duties although i tend to use the shadow hills mc mostly.ime fearn seemed a bit too gentle slow for faster more aggressive stuff ..but then again ymmv.
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Fearn VT-7 is a dream on the mix buss. You can solder that sucker on to the mix bus. By far the best choice of the two for the application.
Old 17th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Fearn VT-7 is a dream on the mix buss. You can solder that sucker on to the mix bus. By far the best choice of the two for the application.
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Addict
Requisite audio l2m mark 3, I feel like a broken record.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search