The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chandler germanium madness
Old 12th June 2014
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Chandler germanium madness

considering a Chandler Germanium compressor or 2 for some mastering and tracking duties but i was also looking for a nice fat coloured pre and the germanium pre comes up as a lovely device for richness but then i also need a nice coloured eq and the Chandler Tone control jumps out !

The thing is will i end up with to much germanium tone here , i liuke some smear and a vintage sound but would those 3 be over the top or lead me a bit down a 1 way sonic street ? or can these 3 really compliment each other ? or does the Tone control negate the need for germanium pre to some degree ? the idea of a pre is to add some weigh and gain boost on sampled and synth tracks and its all about extreme tone shaping here of electronic and sampled material and i have read the Chander stuff is superb for this .
Old 13th June 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdn View Post
considering a Chandler Germanium compressor or 2 for some mastering and tracking duties but i was also looking for a nice fat coloured pre and the germanium pre comes up as a lovely device for richness but then i also need a nice coloured eq and the Chandler Tone control jumps out !

The thing is will i end up with to much germanium tone here , i liuke some smear and a vintage sound but would those 3 be over the top or lead me a bit down a 1 way sonic street ? or can these 3 really compliment each other ? or does the Tone control negate the need for germanium pre to some degree ? the idea of a pre is to add some weigh and gain boost on sampled and synth tracks and its all about extreme tone shaping here of electronic and sampled material and i have read the Chander stuff is superb for this .
They are chameleons with a wonderful character and it depends how you drive them. The more I play with them, the more I love the whole chain.
Old 13th June 2014
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridelica View Post
I like that: 'one way sonic street.' Beware of over-dependance on colorful outboard. If one continually immerses oneself in a 'phat' or smeary sound, one learns just how fresh and musical clean outboard can sound. I have found that out the hard way. In other words, if your tracks don't sound good when recorded cleanly, they probably would sound even worse when recorded with 'mojo.'
good point , its a drug ' coloured outboard ' and like them all they can just become to much !

i was wondering if the Tone control and mimik the Germanium pre's colour at all here . With these its really about a tracking chain that can push and pull sounds into extremes and add weight and depth for me or thats why i zoned in on them in particular but also as i love that more vintage sound and for definition i have very good clean defined eq's with zero vibe which i love but ....its never enough
Old 13th June 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdn View Post
good point , its a drug ' coloured outboard ' and like them all they can just become to much !

i was wondering if the Tone control and mimik the Germanium pre's colour at all here . With these its really about a tracking chain that can push and pull sounds into extremes and add weight and depth for me or thats why i zoned in on them in particular but also as i love that more vintage sound and for definition i have very good clean defined eq's with zero vibe which i love but ....its never enough
The units have the same amplifiers; so you'll have that color.
Old 13th June 2014
  #5
Love germanium stuff. It's coloured but you can control amount of it.
Old 13th June 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 

I own a bunch of Chandler stuff, including the Germ pre, 2 Germ eq's and a Germ comp. The pre I use most is the TL Channel Mk11. It's a little less colored, a little more versatile. Worth considering…

That said, Germ is first choice for electric guitar.

Best…H
Old 14th June 2014
  #7
181483
Guest
I often have my Germs in M/S and unlinked for a really wide sound while processing the 2-bus. One trick I like to do is have the mid channel set to 'Dirty Compression' and the side channel to 'Clean Compression'. The 'Clean Compression' mode is a little brighter and a hair louder and creates a really cool width effect and makes some mixes pop. I love these compressors, but having a pair of all three boxes might be cool for tracking but perhaps a little too much Germ vibe and noise for the 2-bus and too heavy handed for mastering.
Old 15th June 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

I did a video a couple months ago demoing the Chandler Germanium. Not the greatest video really but at least it gives a good overview of the controls and what they do. I have two Germ comps here and love them on instruments. Not so much on vocals really as I have others I use for that most of the time. But on instruments there is hardly a better tone shaping compressor out there.

Here is the link to the thread: New Chandler Germanium video
Old 16th June 2014
  #9
Gear Nut
 
LRhodes's Avatar
 

I have two germ pre's, tone controls, and comps. The units are in a six space rack, and often used for overheads. It's definitely not for the set it and forget it mindset. There are so many things to tweak that can be beneficial: gain staging, warmth mode, interactive/normal bass, clean/dirty comp, side chain, germ-Zener modes, mix etc.
I love the rack - no regrets. If you like options, and the germ color, they won't let you down. It can get noisy if you don't balance the gain between the pre, comp, and eq when using them all on the same signal. But the noise is not an issue if it's all dialed in right. The feedback knob and the other gain knob can add bass or treble, so getting them tweaked right can be worth it. Once I figured out how they interact with each other, I was hooked on the germs.
Old 16th June 2014
  #10
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Chandler comps

I have the chandler compressors, they are thick and gooey,

I have owned them for 6 months so far I have used them on kik & Snr, heavy distorted guitars, clean guitars, drum buss, and stereo buss, I am never disappointed. They are amazing and have a lot of good color and sound very thick. I would start with the comps, and then decide if you want to go further because you can run any pre through them while tracking and get that germ sound, I have not used them much for tracking yet, but I do know what they do.

I have the fatso, distressors, api-2500 and the germ comps, the germs have a lot of Color compared to the rest, they ad the wet and weight you seek.
Old 17th June 2014
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I have the chandler compressors, they are thick and gooey,

I have owned them for 6 months so far I have used them on kik & Snr, heavy distorted guitars, clean guitars, drum buss, and stereo buss, I am never disappointed. They are amazing and have a lot of good color and sound very thick. I would start with the comps, and then decide if you want to go further because you can run any pre through them while tracking and get that germ sound, I have not used them much for tracking yet, but I do know what they do.

I have the fatso, distressors, api-2500 and the germ comps, the germs have a lot of Color compared to the rest, they ad the wet and weight you seek.
I agree with this 100%. I also own Distressors, the API 2500, and the Germs as well as a few others and the Germs are hands down the most versatile.
Old 19th June 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Front end!

I just tracked clean guitars with the germ comps last night, and it sounded so warm and fat, that "like a record" sound.

Signal chain below,

1978 fender strat, - 1970's fender bassman amp 4x10 silver face- vintage U87- vintage api 312- Chandler Germ comp- vintage api 550-apogee ad/16x @96k- protools 11,

Thick Warm Present Goo
Old 19th June 2014
  #13
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Forgot to mention

I will be tracking with the germ comp on a regular basis,
Old 21st June 2014
  #14
Gear Nut
 

WOuld you mind posting a sound clip? :-)
Old 22nd June 2014
  #15
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunny72 View Post
WOuld you mind posting a sound clip? :-)
Sure I don't mind posting a snipit of a before and after with the germ, what instrument would u like to hear? Overdriven guitar or more clean tone?
Old 22nd June 2014
  #16
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

Does the Chandler stuff use germanium transistors, or germanium diodes? Germanium transistors are usually associated with overheating… I've always wondered about this in relationship to the Chandler gear.
Old 22nd June 2014
  #17
Lives for gear
 
herecomesyourman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Does the Chandler stuff use germanium transistors, or germanium diodes? Germanium transistors are usually associated with overheating… I've always wondered about this in relationship to the Chandler gear.
Germanium Compressors are single best 2 Bus compressor I've tried. However I space mine out so they can be vented a bit for heat.

Dave Hill Titans in series are extremely complimentary, though completely different. I prefer to have analog EQ's in front of each EQ > Comp > EQ > Comp, in series. Usually if I've got inductor based EQ's in this role I get what I want out of things without having to agonize over dialing things in.

Don't own the Germ preamp, but I'm really digging the CAPI Heider FD12 and Great River MP-2NV's for most work here (these two seem to like each other.) I used to mainly use Vintage Neve 1272's (Still do) and also favor that kind of flavor for most rock productions. I have however heard a lot of pro guitar and vocal work cut with Chandler TG2 preamps during the past decade due to their unique extended low end on many top 40 rock and pop records.

I think the Germ Preamps are cool, but more of a color piece, however the Germ compressors are not units I'd want to be without, (I can't name a session in seven years I didn't use them in.)
Old 22nd June 2014
  #18
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Germanium Compressors are single best 2 Bus compressor I've tried. However I space mine out so they can be vented a bit for heat.

Dave Hill Titans in series are extremely complimentary, though completely different. I prefer to have analog EQ's in front of each EQ > Comp > EQ > Comp, in series. Usually if I've got inductor based EQ's in this role I get what I want out of things without having to agonize over dialing things in.

Don't own the Germ preamp, but I'm really digging the CAPI Heider FD12 and Great River MP-2NV's for most work here (these two seem to like each other.) I used to mainly use Vintage Neve 1272's (Still do) and also favor that kind of flavor for most rock productions. I have however heard a lot of pro guitar and vocal work cut with Chandler TG2 preamps during the past decade due to their unique extended low end on many top 40 rock and pop records.

I think the Germ Preamps are cool, but more of a color piece, however the Germ compressors are not units I'd want to be without, (I can't name a session in seven years I didn't use them in.)
I said nothing about tone, I'm talking about overheating and longterm stability. That's the reason why people stopped using germanium transistors to begin with.
Old 23rd June 2014
  #19
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Mp3's

In response to request above, below is a link to mp3's, with and with out germ comps, you might have to turn it up a bit to really hear what's going on but it's there, the clip with the germ is thicker in the low end with more harmonic content. I could of dialed them in way more drastically to the point of there would be no doubt what it's doing but I wanted to be somewhat realistic.

Steve Antoniazzi


Overdriven Guitars, Chandler Germanium Comp's
Old 28th June 2014
  #20
Lives for gear
 
AllBread's Avatar
 

I'd go with the TG2 (EMI preamps) over the Germanium pres and then use the Germ Tone Control and Compressors, myself. The EMI based pres are much more versatile in my opinion, sound great on anything, can still get dirty as hell but stay clean if you want them too and you'll still have two Germ amplifiers between the eq and the compressors that will like you dial in all the Germanium sound that you could ever need. That's my set up, anyway, and I also used to own the Germ Preamps but greatly prefer the TG2s for all around pres.
Old 28th June 2014
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
yes I have the TG2 with tone controls Love this setup 4 electric and acoustic
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump