The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Little Labs LMNOpre Microphone Preamplifier Modular Synthesizers
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Little Labs LMNOpre Microphone Preamplifier

i just listened to that interview with J. Paterno in the AES forum, and he mentioned being excited about the new Little Labs LMNOpre micpre. i had not even heard of it although i had seen the name Little Labs in posts on this website. i know there is a thread in the New Products forum on this product already, but i thought i would start a new one. does anybody know if this unit is shipping already?

it's a good-looking beast that supposedly sounds great:

~j.d.
Old 9th November 2006
Gear Maniac

It is shipping. I have one already. Got mine last week. I have not had a chance to do as much A/B'ing as I would like, but I dig it so far.

Mercenary is where I got mine.
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

thx for letting me know.... post back when you have had time to play around with it, will you? appreciated!

~j.d.
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

That unit looks really smart and has some esoteric features that might just make it stand out from the crowd. Ultimately though, it will stand or fall on the inherent sound.

Anyone know a projected price?
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

it is retailing for $1500 USD @ Mercenary. thumbsup
Old 9th November 2006
Gear interested

This Pre Rocks Hard!!!

I have had mine for about a week now, and I'm astounded by the amount of detail it reveals.So much so it's inspired me to want to post about it. I first ran it through some paces recording a solo female singer/songwriter, just her and her acoustic guitar. Her voice was a tad bit frail and thin sounding, so I used the low freq resonance control to dial in her chest resonance, and poof!! Thinness-be-gone!! You should've seen the look on her face when she came back in the control room for play-back!In anycase she was extremely pleased, which is really the most important thing. Then for the Acoustic guitar, I experimented mic-ing and using the 2 D.I.'s...all three provided great results, but in the end 2 songs were mic-ed, and 2 used the Passive D.I. "B", the variation in tones worked out well for the 4 songs we did.
The last few days I've been recording bass direct for some of my music, and the low freq control is insane on bass!! I like the fact that he included both an active and passive D.I.,that and the control of the gain stages makes it very flexable. Plugging my passive bass in the active input conjured up some great SVT like tones... very amp in a room sounding. I'll admit, I love the sound of all of Jonathan's devices... his PCP was the first device that allowed me to use my RE-201 coming out of Protools, and have it sound right...but he's really up-ed the ante with this box...I'll be exploring with it in more depth for quite awhile...haven't even got to the phase alignment feature yet!!
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

awesome, Sleeper, thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to GS!
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

bump

i want more detail about this cool-looking thing!
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Yes, it is shipping. I've used it on three different vocalists so far, and the results have been great. There is a lot of detail to the pre, without it sounding thin or bright, like some of the pres touted as 'hi fi' out there. All the singers had great mic technique, so I haven't had someone bury their face in the mic the entire time - yet. In fact, it's been the opposite. I've had at least one singer end up a bit far back on the mic, but with the low freq resonance control I was able to keep the 'size' as if they were closer up on the mic. I haven't used it tranformerless yet, but I want to check out that option, especially with the way the resonance control operates.

I'm interested to try it on kick drum and bass at some point. The resonance control is quite unique -- the low end doesn't get smeared as you dial it in. It's like the ADSR shape stays the same, only now it extends LOW. Pretty cool.

I plan on giving the tracks a more critical listen over the next few days, but my initial impression is - WOW...

Cheers,
John
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

thanks John for chiming in about this. i really look forward to trying this one out someday! that resonance control and some of the other features look great.

~j.d.
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

Limited edition?

Just curious about the "limited edition" tag... does anyone know if there's going to be a stripped down or multichannel model after the initial run? Or will they just be gone forever?
Old 24th November 2006
Lives for gear

I'll bet if the demand is there, they'll keep making them. As far as stripped down, why would you want that? The only reason I can see is to have it cheaper. The features are what makes this piece so unique and versatile. Why turn it into a Hundai when it's already something much much better???? ...

Cheers,
John
Old 19th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'm curious about this myself... I've been very happy with all my Little Labs gear, and I've heard other engineers in town rave about pre's that Johnathan has worked on in the past (pre-LMNOpre). I'd hate to see a great hardware unit turn into vaporware so hopefully the limited edition isn't too limited in amount of units they've made.
Old 19th March 2007
Gear Head

Hey John, do you know if this thing is related to that little silver pre amp that Tchad used to use on a 251?
Old 19th March 2007
Lives for gear

Apparently Jonathan will be making 250 of these, so that's 200 more than the 50 that he was originally going to build. Still, I think we should let this thread sink to the bottom so I can get my pair before they're gone!

Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Exactly. The pre sounds like it is very unique, and I'd like a pair. I don't need two more IBP's though, so the price on the pair makes it a very deliberate purchase, not just "honey, I'm buying a new pair of pre's, OK?". It's like getting a pair of Neve pre's without the EQ vs a full pair. If you don't need the EQ, you really, really need the pre's to justify it overall. Personally, I would like to see a 2 channel version without the inbuilt IBP's.

OTOH, if you don't have a bunch of IBP's, you DO NEED THEM, so these make a really cool two birds with one stone purchase... especially for drums or close/ambient micing of acoustic instruments. In that respect, since the world is dense with preamp options, adding the IBP's is a great way to set these apart and make them a default recommendation for the "Which first high-end preamp?" demographic.

I really want to try one, but I think it's gonna be a single, followed by me wishing I could have had one more channel so I could use them for dual kicks. Little Labs kicks ass though; I'm a fan.
Old 20th March 2007
member no 666

FWIW the IBP's capability is far more comprehensive than the 'phase knob' on the LMNOPre... in fact, using the phase knob with an IBP behind it can do some pretty amazing things!! [especially to a "reamped" bass!!].
Old 22nd March 2007
Lives for gear

I guess you could call it the 'next generation' version. Maybe Jonathan will chime in if I am way off the mark, but I believe the approach to the amplifier design is the same as Tchad's pre. He has refined the circuit, and added the various features on the new one -- the DI with dedicated input transformer, separate gain controls for the high and low gain settings, the resonance control, the IBP, the output gain pot. I don't remember if the silver guy had an output transformer or not, but it is switchable on this one. The input transformer is different, but he has a feature that allows a different input transformer to be selected via an alternate input transformer connector on the rear, and a switch to switch between the internal/external xformer . I'm pretty sure it is possible to get the 'silver' transformer as an option for that external spot.

Check one out if you get a chance...

Cheers,
John
Old 22nd March 2007
I want one, Lots

I loved the little labs Phase box but this is more how long has this been about
I have never seen it before.
Old 23rd March 2007
Lives for gear

really?

can you elaborate

AA
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

dman sexy unit! think of it for the last weeks! I am addicted to the brent averills because of their sweet low end! can the lmnopre give me somthing like that with a bit more control? this is what i was hoping for!!!

best regards,

andrewj

p.s.: and what about the limited edition thing!? i would hate to see that i buy one, they stop production and i have to miss a second one!

Last edited by andrewj; 24th March 2007 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: forgot one thing
Old 25th April 2007
Lives for gear

In a word this thing is versatile.

I had the chance on Friday to visit the blackened souls that inhabit Mercenary (I'll put up a post about that later... ).

After doing a bit of a mic shootout for my home VO studio, I ended up not just buying a mic, but walking away with one of the LMNOPres as well. The thing just sounded great with the Horch (ended up with both), and every other mic as well.

Only 250 being made...? Despite the gf standing over me, I might have to get another... when she's not looking

*smack*

ouch baby!!! That hurt
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

i've been looking into the LMNOPre for some time....

i was wondering is the new VOG for 500 series, just a small section taken from the design of the LMNOPre???????

because i know the pre has a bass resonator too, or is the VOG offering more options than the LMNOPre/???????
Old 2nd December 2009
Little Labs

I guess I'm subscribed to this thread because I just got an e-mail notification, but I can answer the VOG question. The LMNO resonance function did inspire and lead to the VOG, although they are very different. The LMNO LF resonance changes with gain so it needs to be set after your gain is dialed in. The amplitude for the resonance on the LMNO is fixed but also dependent on gain as to how much you get. So basically everything on the LMNO is interdependent of each other. On the LMNO for example, sometimes you need to set the gain higher, but turn down the output level in order to get the desired resonance. The VOG settings are not interdependent, they are predictably resettable, giving you a much higher degree of control. It also was designed and can be used effectively in an extreme fashion with exciting results. The LMNO LF resonance although very effective, was designed for a more subtle effect. Hope that helps.
Jonathan
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Jonathan, does the amount knob on the VOG control the amount of the overall effect or does it control the amount of resonance so that if you wanted it to only act as a straightforward HPF you could turn the amount knob to 0 and then set your high pass cutoff with the frequency knob only?
Old 18th December 2009
YES!

Insert the VOG over the insert point of the LMNO pre!!

The LMNO's Insert is;

POST MIC PRE :
PRE PHASE ALIGN :
BALANCED SEND AND RETURN XLR :

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search