The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lavry vs Metric Halo - anything better value?
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Nut

Lavry vs Metric Halo - anything better value?

Hi.

I use a Metric Halo ULN-8 and Lavry DA10. I've had the Lavry for about 7 years and I got the ULN-8 2 years ago and was anticipating selling the DA10 afterwards.

I expected and wanted the ULN-8 to sound as good as the Lavry but it doesn't!

My plan is to keep using the ULN-8 with it's built in pres for non-critical stuff but am looking for 4 channels of AD and 2 channels of DA to feed into the AES inputs of the ULN-8.

I'm considering the Lavry Blue for this - is there any other options I should be looking at??

I really want to get the best quality I can - the DA10 sounds great to my ears and I chose it over the Blue DA last time when I demoed them both. Have things moved on?

Thanks
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Nut
I have the LIO 8 and was curious if a better sounding DA would improve my monitoring chain. If you don't mind can you explain how you monitor through the DA10 and use the ULN-8 for your inputs? I use the LIO-8 for all my inputs and also use it's monitor output into my amp. I was thinking I could instead send the signal out of one of the AES outputs on the LIO-8 to a better sounding DAC than the LI0-8. It wouldn't change the sound of my recordings since I render them directly from my DAW but it would improve the transparency of what I am hearing through my monitoring system and possibly allow me to do better mixes, at least that is my thought.
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

While I have difficulty in thinking the uln8 is in anyway a compromise if your looking for some additional I/0 I'd be taking a very serious look at the teac PCM 4222 (uh-7000?) - uses the latest pcm4222 and is supposedly sublime. And for $600 for ad and da it'd be worth your audition
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
While I have difficulty in thinking the uln8 is in anyway a compromise if your looking for some additional I/0 I'd be taking a very serious look at the teac PCM 4222 (uh-7000?) - uses the latest pcm4222 and is supposedly sublime. And for $600 for ad and da it'd be worth your audition

I paid 453$ for ourUH7000 and I love it.

I have had music looping thru it, 24/7 for 2 weeks +.
No failures, no crashes, no issues to report.
The quality of Sound is genuinely very very good.
I voided my Warranty right out of the gate and popped open the chassis.
Well built throughout, nothing stood out as sus looking, I did notice 3 questionable manufacturing boo boo's that could have been cleaner.

I wish the VU meter would present output instead of just mic pre input.

The preamps are pretty clean but unused by me.
I prefer this Sound to the Lynx Hilo. Less buggy, less $$$, well designed. Plugged or in, updated firmware and voile'.
Have a go, truly it's a blessing in disguise.
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Nut

Has anyone compared that to the Lavry AD11?

Having experienced a lot of DA that I don't like (pretty much anything else in comparison to the DA10) I trust that Lavry can get it right, at least the sound that I like.

Comparing AD is less easy and I'm not sure if AD converters are easier to get right than DA converters anyway...? Maybe someone techy can comment on that...

Until I experienced the DA10 I didn't think there was much wrong with other stuff, but I just can't use anything else now, wonder if I need an all Lavry setup here.... only thing that bothers me is the Blue design is 15 years old now...
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

Well you sound really comfortable with the lavry so you should probably grab that - buyers remorse sucks
Old 10th June 2014
I recently bought a Ross Martin 8 Channel DAC. It took about 6 weeks to get, the communication was excellent, and I slightly prefer the conversion to my ULN8. They messed up a few things though. They made the unit specifically for my needs, and I got it with a DB25 output instead of XLRs in order to integrate into my patch bay. They put a male and not a female connector on the back. I went back through my notes and realized I hadn't specified gender on the DB25. They never asked, and since all gear comes with the female connector on the back I assumed that's what they would do (assumption is the mother of all ****ups). NBD though, I wired up a female DB25 tail for it anyway. It's a really nice sounding unit, and the price is good.
Old 12th June 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks for the replies everyone, got some more things to look at now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search