The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old Ribbons: Altec 639 vs RCA 74b
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Nut

Old Ribbons: Altec 639 vs RCA 74b

Hi gang

I´m curious about this vintage ribbons: Altec 639 and RCA 74B.

Any of you had the chance to compare them side by side? How about reliability?

I´m between this two models. I need for the habitual tasks ribbon mics (vocals, acoustic instruments, drum room, maybe small guitar combos) I would like something that sounds really great and retro.

Thanks!
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Nut

the 74b is more balanced both are darker side

they don't sound alike get a 74 then 77 then 4038 then BK5
And buy a 639 when its under $400
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks!
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

re the 74B, just don't expect it to sound great in the full and rich way. imo it sounds pretty bad in a cool/retro way, quite thin/middy. i would not use it for vocals. 44B and 77 much nicer. also check out the varacoustic (MI6203). all dark/retro sounding.
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Nut

much prefer a 639 over a 74b...

Make sure you get the yoke and the special cable for the 639.
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Nut

Old 10th June 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks. And how about the SPL that this two mics can handle? Maybe they would be interesting on guitar combos or 4X12 stacks (at certain distance, of course)
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Nut

i disagree about 74 sounding less than great, you Beed an Api 550b with it and its awesome.. lead vox gtrs room etc
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Nut

A 74b can most definitly sound great.... Heres a worthless compare of a 639,77dx,74b,neumann 193 (in that order) . Vocal/guitar about 24" out - string bass about 5' on the other side of mic...through an ati8mx2 - which i later determined to be a horrible pre for ribbons -

https://soundcloud.com/rbarnrecording/mic-check-1234

4x12 stacks - damn..... shouldnt be a problem however
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Nut

Amazing shootout ;-) Thanks for sharing it.
Every mic has his own character. Seems that the 639 have a little more low end than the others, and the RCAs have a vibey midrange. Very interesting.
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear

The 639 has both a dynamic element as well as a ribbon and you can select which to use or both
Old 14th June 2014
Gear Nut

Today i checked the Altec 639a. Great sounding mic but needs tons of preamp gain... around 70 or 80 dB. There was some strange noise/ring (similar of a noise when you have a guitar not very well shielded) any idea??
Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search