The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Klein & Hummel UE-100
Old 8th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Klein & Hummel UE-100

What can you tell me about these beauties ?
Do they sound as good as they look ?
Maintenance ?
How much are they going for ?

Show me the light gentleman 'cause i don't know much about it...

Thks

Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Keep away from them. The price is insane of this piece of sh.. If you want to spend your money on vintage eq's then buy a Pultec, a Neve whatever or discrete German units like the Neumann PEV, TAB W395, etc.
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

..trying to keep market price down, huh? :-)

The UE-100 is one of the best-sounding "coloured-type" EQ's I've ever worked with. We have two units in our mix/mastering studio, and even though they're very far apart regarding serial numbers, they track and match perfect. I mean absolutely perfect.

And the controls are much more versatile that the other mentioned eq's..

For maintenance, the thing is modular built, and tubes are easily changed. Only real problem is if you manage to damage the mechanical interlocking switches - those will be really hard to repair.

Yes, they're relatively expensive - but imp there's a healthy reason for that, not just ebay-hype.

Jakob E.
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Absolutely FABULOUS EQ's
I had one and it was heaven. Overpriced? Depends how much money you have! If I had enough, I'd grab a pair in a flash. I sold mine as finding another one proved difficult and I needed the money.
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post

The UE-100 is one of the best-sounding "coloured-type" EQ's I've ever worked with. We have two units in our mix/mastering studio, and even though they're very far apart regarding serial numbers, they track and match perfect. I mean absolutely perfect.

Jakob E.
I have a UE-100 and have a question regarding it.... Jakob, I was wondering if you could do me a favor and check to see if your units exhibit similar behavior? I've never met anyone else that has one so it would be a huge help to me as I'm thinking of selling mine soon and would like to know if I need to get it serviced first.

There is a certain combination of settings in the high shelf boost and high filter that cause it to pass a humming, almost oscillating noise. Specifically, it occurs when I boost the high shelf and cut the high filter at a lower setting but ONLY when it is switched to 24 db/oct. For instance, if I have the high shelf boosted at 10K and then attempt to roll off the high end at 8K it passes the humming noise and sounds really bad.
All combinations of frequencies work just fine at 12 db/oct and the 24 db/oct setting works fine when the frequencies don't overlap. It doesn't have this problem in the bass frequencies either... the low shelf and low filter can be used at any combination of settings without a problem.
I used to have a second unit and it did the exact same thing so I've always just assumed that it is inherent to the design. But now that I have the rare opportunity to ask a fellow UE-100 owner, I'm going to take it!
Thanks in advance.
---Ben
Old 11th November 2006
Lives for gear

I'll look into this the next time I'm working in-studio. Seems a bit strange to me - but it could possibly be an impedance issue combined with nearly-worn-out powersupply reservoir capacitors (the unit itself is built so it'll run alright with nearly no capacitance left)..

Btw - Service Manual scan: http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/KH_UE100_equalizer.pdf

Jakob E.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

:)

Have two of these beauties.. they've been out on a bit of maintenance and I just got them back.. I'm in eq heaven ..wohoo..
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
Yes, they're relatively expensive - but imp there's a healthy reason for that, not just ebay-hype.
What would be the price for a unit in good condition?
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

I must say, I have no idea - I haven't seen any up for sale in the recent years..

Jakob E.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

They are great EQ's. Yes... they are very expensive they will cost you somewhere between 6-8K for a pair. But they sound fantastic.
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Maniac
does anybody know anything about the UE-1000 solid state version of this eq? I have one and it sounds cool and is very versatile. I imagine it is cleaner than the tube UE-100, but does anyone have experience with both? thanks
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, we have a UE-1000 here as well - it is more or less the same eq idea as the UE-100, but made with discrete FET's instead of tubes. They're not often seen, I don't think many UE-1000's were manufactured.

The UE-1000 is a very good eq as well - and in daily use around here. It was the main reason why we got the pair of 100's...

Jakob E.
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbang View Post
Keep away from them. The price is insane of this piece of sh.. If you want to spend your money on vintage eq's then buy a Pultec, a Neve whatever or discrete German units like the Neumann PEV, TAB W395, etc.
where does this guy come from??? the kh pretty much slayes any pultec. its a totally different leguae. but they are horrible to maintain. still, they are way more high end than any freakin pultec ever build. just have a look inside my friend.....
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
where does this guy come from??? the kh pretty much slayes any pultec. its a totally different leguae. but they are horrible to maintain. still, they are way more high end than any freakin pultec ever build. just have a look inside my friend.....
slays a pultec? different league?
I think this is the ebay seller lol
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Nut

I have a pari of UE-1000's that came from vintage king. totally matched and sound incredible. i've been having to sell some gear lately and i can tell you that they are still around for a reason.

never tried the tube ones....S
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecrud View Post
(..) totally matched
Aah yes - this is the central thing about the K&H Eq design - any two units will intrinsically be matched to insane tolerances because of the design - that incorporates pairs of parallel'ed positive/negative temperature coefficient capacitors for determining all frequencies - etc. etc...

Surely designed by someone a long way out on the obsessive/compulsive scale, at a time where cost was no problem.

Jakob E.
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

I guess UE400 or EU200 is of different league too, more pedestrian... there is not much info on those though. So please don't be shy if there is something you know and share
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

I have the UE400...

I think it is a fantastic sounding Master EQ. Back in the days it was used for mastering vinyls..
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

I've had a UE-100, UE-1000, UE-200 and UE-400

The UE-100 is the daddy. No doubt. The UE-1000 I really liked too and it would probably beat most EQ's easily, but the 100 beat it.
The 200 and 400 are very good sounding but not special like the 100/1000 are

If I make some serious cash, I'd get a pair of UE-100 straight away.
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbang View Post

This guy doesn't know what f### he's talking about! dfegadHe just sells sh...He sold me a busted drum machine...

Anyway, I used those K&H tube eq's years ago. They were amazing on bass drum!! Technically they're considered graphic eq's, even though they don't look the part. Physically, they're very heavy and rather complex. But they DO sound niiiiiccccce.

Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

that's a deal. Probably went for that little because the guy had a 0% feedback rating.
Old 15th June 2011
Gear Head

He has over 300 feedback though??

edit: Ahh feedback rating. A great EQ though..
Old 17th April 2012
Here for the gear

Connector cabling schematics

Hi,

Does someone knows how the connectors of these EQs are wired?
I recently found 2 of them but I don't know how to connect them.

Thanks,

F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcotteri View Post
He has over 300 feedback though??

edit: Ahh feedback rating. A great EQ though..
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchyinmunich View Post
Hi,

Does someone knows how the connectors of these EQs are wired?
I recently found 2 of them but I don't know how to connect them.

Thanks,

F
'Found' as in outbid me on ebay?
Old 3rd May 2012
Here for the gear

Hello,

If you want to see the situation:
Klein&Hummel UE 100
I would be delighted to know from the people who have one of these if the unit is connected the ground...
I have the only feeling that the two units haven't been used for a long time...
I already changed all the electrochimic capacitors.

F
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear Head

^^^all that rsf gear is nuts haha
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear Addict

Hi all, I might consider selling one of my K&H UE-100 in mint condition. PM me if interested.
Old 3rd May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formant View Post
^^^all that rsf gear is nuts haha
??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search