The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AES cable quality, importance?
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

The advice is much appreciated, but "Raising an eyebrow"... means expressing suspicion.

Or, in that case, calling horse****, but I do enjoy understatement.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

that graph obviously is hugely exaggerated, the principle holds true however. a long cable might contribute to blurred edges at zero crossings. this is the high end forum and the discussion should be about high end audio, jitter is one of high end audio's archenemies.

it's not universally agreed upon that balanced audio connectors offer the highest fidelity.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver800W View Post
that graph obviously is hugely exaggerated, the principle holds true however. a long cable might contribute to blurred edges at zero crossings. this is the high end forum and the discussion should be about high end audio, jitter is one of high end audio's archenemies.

it's not universally agreed upon that balanced audio connectors offer the highest fidelity.
As is typical, it' a hand drawn impression on an enthusiast's site rather than a graphic derived from actual measurements by people who know what they are doing.

Audio quackery. 99% of which revolves around people misconstruing the significance, scale and relevance (and implications) of principles they didn't take time to study or fully comprehend - yet deciding they are skilled enough to be lecturing on them.

"it's not universally agreed upon that balanced audio connectors offer the highest fidelity."

No. Nor that the earth is over 10,000 years old, or even, spherical (OK, Oblate then).
(Although I know the balanced CMR cable/system question IS actually more complex than the digital AES one.)
But the people who are (recognised to be) qualified, skilled and experienced in the field are not arguing about the science or results they are seeing/achieving.
It certainly helps to eliminate the uncertainty to have a look at actual AES information like that posted by londonengineer.
And, to make sure any personal tests are done with enough care that they aren't broken or misinterpreted in a way that simply confirms one's biases.
Old 16th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Wow, you guys are awesome. So much information. Great stuff. I went with the recommendation and bought 1 meter of AES 110 Ohm cable – made in Sweden. I have Neutrik connectors around. Is there anything in particular I need to think about before soldering? Thanks!
Old 16th June 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
No, you just solder it neatly and away you go!
Matt S
Old 16th June 2014
Lives for gear

That waveform chart is wildly inaccurate. In fact I would say it is 100% fictional. I've looked at both AES and analog signals on scopes at the far end of cables of a wide variety of types and lengths, in many different situations, and this amount of degradation is simply not seen at these lengths. Not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Ransom View Post
I was just raising an eyebrow over this:

Home Theater Network’s Cables Page

And this, in which the writer, who seems canny and privy to some hitherto "surprising" info, expresses amplitude... in miliseconds.
And: "So even though 7.6 billionths of a second sounds like a very small value, its impact in distorting our audio signal is quite significant."

Digital Audio: The Possible and Impossible
Old 16th June 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
All this is yet another way of attempting to get people to be 'worried' about things that probably won't happen.
Many highly respected engineers, with references back into related industries worked out a practical 'medium' for the transmission over moderate distances of reliable digital signals. While it may not be up to the highly reliable systems used for computer networks worldwide it is a 'practical' solution for distances of several hundred metres.for this work to be 'trashed' by a 'salesman' attempting to prey on insecurities is of course 'rubbish'.
Proper mic placement and attention to detail like getting performers who can actually perform is FAR more important.
Matt S
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Right. This seems to be mostly about raising anxiety.

Slightly OT, but:

Regarding that "article" link, Digital Audio: The Possible and Impossible:

"Invariably, by the time I get to this point of the argument with someone, the conversation turns into “yes but… is it audible?” As unfair as it might be, I am going to punt that question."

The writer has decided that the issue of actual audibility in an audio system is... not relevant.

"We have to stop making arguments against cable effects and such because “digital is digital.” The cable may not make an audible difference but that is no excuse for describing the system operation incorrectly in that way."

It's a digital cable, being described as a... digital cable. Again, the audibility question seems to be a non-issue.

"...understanding how it works is an important part of being an informed consumer."

"Interestingly enough, the more technical you are the more you are apt to think what I am telling you is wrong. "
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search