The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Got (Telefunken 251E / Sony C800g) what pre for vocals ?? Condenser Microphones
Old 8th June 2014
I love a c800 straight into an 1176 for vocals. Don't need to engage the gain reduction. Just use the output stage for extra gain. Clean, tight, and punchy. Sometimes I throw it through the Tube-Tech MEC1A, but I find it can be too big sometimes. Makes the low mids super pillow-y and round.
Old 8th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronmaster View Post
I love a c800 straight into an 1176 for vocals. Don't need to engage the gain reduction. Just use the output stage for extra gain. Clean, tight, and punchy. Sometimes I throw it through the Tube-Tech MEC1A, but I find it can be too big sometimes. Makes the low mids super pillow-y and round.
Sounds great

I tried this with Retro 176 using M149 I like the result no need for preamp
Old 8th June 2014
Just received an email that Sony C800G arrived

I have to wait 2 days till I back to town.
Old 8th June 2014
Gear Nut

I'd put my money in my room, then either something Neveish or go API. The mic's you mentioned are most commonly paired with a Neve 1073 for Pop and several other genre's! With that being said, I personally like the Avedis MA5's for the Neve flavor and I really like the API 3124/512c. It's all up to the engineer really. Just demo a few pieces, find the one you like and run with it!
Old 8th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryk1989 View Post
I'd put my money in my room, then either something Neveish or go API. The mic's you mentioned are most commonly paired with a Neve 1073 for Pop and several other genre's! With that being said, I personally like the Avedis MA5's for the Neve flavor and I really like the API 3124/512c. It's all up to the engineer really. Just demo a few pieces, find the one you like and run with it!
Never tried original Neve interesting to have a chance to put hand on it. I had MA5 & API 512c & sold both. Love mid of API best mid ever heard but dark & thin. Like Avedis but find it harsh little not what I am looking for.
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Nut

Neve 1058 haha,

Chris be nice he's just looking for people like u to share what they like
Old 13th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmss View Post
Sounds great

I tried this with Retro 176 using M149 I like the result no need for preamp
Ya man, the m149 sounds so flipping huge anyway. I feel pushing it through the 1176 tightens up the phat tube bass and brings it into clean focus. Try it with the c800, it's pretty magical.
Old 30th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I just tried this (c800g > 1176 > converters) after reading this thread and I must say... wow! I'm still testing, but on first, and after continual listening this sound is huge and balanced. I didn't know the c800g could sound THIS good across the board! It was like listening to a new mic. So far this 1176 (no pre, no comp) chain beats my MA5, pacifica, 737, AD2022, neve 1272, etc... Really an eye opener that conventional wisdom is overated, this little technique is my new secret weapon. Thanks @chronmaster!
Old 30th September 2014

Quote:
No more Tele USA 251e / Sony C800G owners suggestion ?

Some specials colors Pres meaty beefy
Re tube pre choices: You:ve got clean and smooth covered... Maybe something thicker like a V76 style pre.

Manley Slam is great; big smooth sound.

Alternatively for big 3D and clean... D.W. Fearn? (going by what descriptions I have read)

Thermionic Early bird is fantastic; clear and detailed.
Old 1st October 2014
I spend some time now

I can tell Tube Tech such an amazing, Avalon defferent beadt like it for BV, TG great but changing the highs kind of enhanceer you loose some but sounds good.
Old 1st October 2014
Gear Addict

I'd sugest Greg Hanks BA660 and NPNG
Old 1st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ya man, the m149 sounds so flipping huge anyway. I feel pushing it through the 1176 tightens up the phat tube bass and brings it into clean focus. Try it with the c800, it's pretty magical.
I'm running my M149 directly into my CL1B and it sounds much cleaner and more open than running it through my bae 1073 first.

Running it through the pre first and then into the compressor it sounds a bit harsh when pushed. I've heard someone say the m149 might distort the input transformer of many pres because the output is so hot?

I'm also thinking about getting the Sony C800g and Telefunken Elam 251. I'm a bit worried they are not as high output as the M149 and that my CL1B doesn't have enough juice to drive them directly?

But then again if they have a lower output they might work better with the 1073/cl1b combo?

With the m149 i have to turn the cl1b all the way up to +30 db or above to get a low but decent level into pro tools.
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I'm running my M149 directly into my CL1B and it sounds much cleaner and more open than running it through my bae 1073 first.

Running it through the pre first and then into the compressor it sounds a bit harsh when pushed. I've heard someone say the m149 might distort the input transformer of many pres because the output is so hot?

I'm also thinking about getting the Sony C800g and Telefunken Elam 251. I'm a bit worried they are not as high output as the M149 and that my CL1B doesn't have enough juice to drive them directly?

But then again if they have a lower output they might work better with the 1073/cl1b combo?

With the m149 i have to turn the cl1b all the way up to +30 db or above to get a low but decent level into pro tools.
The CL1B has more than enough gain to drive both c800g and the 251.
Old 11th November 2014
Ya, the cl1b has a ton of gain. It can get noisy when pushed though, but you have one and I'm sure you use it well. I just finished a record where we cut all the vocals with a c800 and a m149. In almost every instance I ran either mic straight into a cl1b or an 1176.

Chrisdee, definitely try running any of those tube mics straight into an 1176. Super tight bass.
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can't wait to hear it & most of artist & engineers used 251E more than non E I don't know the reason behind that even Telefunken them self defind E version as best vocal mic that what make me go for it for sure None E speacial to make it for that price not just for the AC701 (I think they try to save tubes as they can).

Regarding Tube-Tech the same here I was using Avalon most the time even when I bought Tube-tech with an amazing deal from shut down studio, in the beginning I just use it for it comp, I thought it will be as CL1B but disappointed (not bad at all but I was looking for CL1B sound) so it seat in the rack for several month not used untill that day for an interview with a singer I was lazy so just try to mix it as fast as I can so went with that channel strip with little Eq & comp. when I went back for final mix its blow my mind how sweet sound comes through it, it was with M149. Then found it wasn't that good with Neumann M149 or Blue bottle if you compare it to The result with U78 such an amazing combination.

Thank you for sharing you experience

Bruh, whet?!
Old 5th February 2015

@ KennaOkoye - did you choose your mic in the end, or still searching?
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
@ KennaOkoye - did you choose your mic in the end, or still searching?
Yes. I have the serial number 2005 ela m 251e

Last edited by KennaOkoye; 5th February 2015 at 09:48 PM..
Old 5th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
Bruh, whet?!
What waht ?!
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Wow no preamp for the c800g? That is very interesting, can you link to some clips of vocals you have recorded directly into the 1176 without a preamp?
Old 25th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
I'd sugest Greg Hanks BA660 and NPNG
I got these here in the studio and they are always blowing my mind, for what they are good at doing......
The soft limiting AD converter on the BA-AD-660 is absolutely insane. More headroom than I know what to do with. I got a UM25C [elam251 type custom] with a Tim Campbell CT12 in it. That mic puts out some JUICE in Cardioid. Its a louder outputting mic. The BA-AD-660 just laughs at me and lets me contain any loud singer with this mic. The Mic Preamp is about the best I have ever heard in any gear, anywhere.

Even when they get really loud it manages to sound so smooth and delightful. So much information coming through that box, I feel like I am transferring a human through the wires.

Last edited by Doc Mixwell; 25th February 2015 at 03:40 PM..
Old 26th February 2015
I have the 251 E and run it through a D.W. Fearn VT-2
My favorite sounds come from this combo-
Old 26th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I suggest you get an Aurora GTQC, I use it everyday with my c800g and it sounds fantastic.
+1 same experience here with the C800G and GTQC combo¡¡¡
Old 26th February 2015
Gear Head

Given that what you have you may want to consider NPNG.
Steven

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search