The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who uses 2 Consoles in their studio?
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

Who uses 2 Consoles in their studio?

Engineers/Producers...

I am curious to find out who uses 2 Consoles in their studio during composing/tracking and then mixing.

Also, for conversations sake, let's assume you have one room, 1x 16 ch API and 1x8 Tree Audio.

A typical example of uses could be that one is primarily used for tracking and the other for tracking/mixing. However, I would like to know if you interchange between the two, use both simultaneously during these processes and if so, how that is possible.

I may start to get some bullets fired at me and I understand that, but it's just a curiosity.
Old 4th June 2014
Gear Nut

I work a decent amout at jungle city studios an they have a duality and a EMI console in their penthouse studio. I usually use the duality for most tracking and mixing, but have certain things like drums, synths, and whatever else I feel works going through the EMI using those EQs and limiters for tone. Everything is route through the patch bay so accessing ins and outs of either console is very easy.
Old 4th June 2014
We've recently added a Neve sidecar by AML to our 32 channel API desk. the new configuration means we have two very different sounds in one desk but still have all the functions of one desk (aux routing system, talkback etc). Read about it over here:

Neve/API hybrid console (custom made)
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks. Interesting replies. Totally makes sense with the use of an 'Analog' console or sidecar to be used for tracking and possibly a modern console with automation for mixing.
I am curious to find out about the usage during mixing and the use of two consoles concurrently. Does this happen or are the mostly used independently of each other?
Is there anyone using perhaps a console to send perhaps instruments like drums, guitars or synths through, do a nice full mix in that and send that stereo signal back into the main console as a stem etc. ?
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

Submixers for keyboards used to be common in tape days to control track counts however their utility is still helpful today with hardware synths. With multiple busses or insert patching on the submixer they allow setup next to racks of hardware keyboards where the player can set EQ and effects with having many things already dialed in for quick creative tracking use. This concept is also useful for software synths given you proabably have older computers you can put to use as dumb sound modules with multiple outputs via soundcard interface and feed it's analog out to an analog submixer for the player to set.

Yes mixers are a useful studio tool today.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search