The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C57 Condenser Microphones
Old 4th June 2014
Gear Addict

Sony C57

Anyone used one of these,
how does it compare to the Sony C37A?

Looks to have a similar capsule and power supply
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

I've owned a C57 for about 4-5 years. Great mic. I really like it as a mono mid-rm mic for drums, but have also used it on ac string inst. I've heard its what Scruggs used to track banjo, but can't confirm.

Comparing it to a C37A is tough since I've never had both up on the same session. In general, I love the older Sony mics because they all (or at least the ones I've used) have a great midrange, thick but somehow clear. Lots of vibe too. The C37p is also one of the best mics on many sources I've ever used and it really shines on gtr cabs.

I think you had another post asking for a comparison to the C37A? If you want a C37A, then you'll have to buy one or go to a studio that has one. IMHO, if you've never heard one, I'd start there. There are very few mics, if any, that I can't use a substitute for given there are a few options at the studio of similar type and quality.
Old 4th June 2014
Gear Addict

Thanks for your input,
and yes I have heard the C37A, and really like it. Especially on vocals for the warm yet clear midrange that you discribed.
That's why I'm asking how these compare sound wise.
I would like to just get a C37A, but they seem to be very expensive and not in the best condition lots of the time. So Im looking into alternatives with a similar sound.
I've heard the newer Sony C800 is pretty much the same mic as the C37A, but those are now discontinued and seem to be very rare on the used market.
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've heard the newer Sony C800 is pretty much the same mic as the C37A
I've only used the 800 a handful of times, but I recall it being quite different. There's a Josephson mic that shares the same capsule design as the C37 which may be an option? Anyway, thank Lanois for skyrocketing the prices on old Sony mics.

Better to just bite the bullet and get a great one now since the prices will never go down. I'd like to know more about the early ones that used the AC701, and of course throw it up on a session!
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

C800g (that's the current one, and it's completely different from the previous C800) is the same lineage as the C37A, as far as I know, but I wouldn't say they're similar microphones.

I've read that sony wanted to build mics to compete with Neumann, so the bought up a bunch of AC701k and built their own capsules. After it worked out they realized that they couldn't rely on the supply of AC701k, so they changed tubes. I've seen ones with the tele tube marked CU2 rather than C37A, but I've also seen one that didn't have model number on the body.

Josephson capsules are based on the Sony C-series design and are supposed to sound fantastic. I'd love to check out some of their mics one day.
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
C800g (that's the current one, and it's completely different from the previous C800) is the same lineage as the C37A, as far as I know, but I wouldn't say they're similar microphones.
I second this. I own a pair of C37A's and to my ears they are very different from the C800g.
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Bill View Post
I second this. I own a pair of C37A's and to my ears they are very different from the C800g.
I was referring to the C800 not the G version, which I believe is a very different mic then the C800g

I definitely want to try out the Josephson C715 as well, which I've heard very good things about.
Old 8th June 2014
Old 8th June 2014
Lives for gear

C800G has a K67 style capsule.

C800 has a 37 capsule.

The only Josephson mic that has a "similar" 37 style capsule is the 715.
All other Josephson 700 series capsules use their own designed "CK12" style capsule -
which is also used by Manley in the Gold Ref mic.
(If Kelly, or David, want to chime in & add or detract from this, please do.)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search