The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam DA-3000 vs Sound Devices USBPre 2's conversion Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Tascam DA-3000 vs Sound Devices USBPre 2's conversion

I'm thinking about selling my USBPre 2 to get the Tascam DA-3000 standalone recorder/converter. Does anyone with experience with either devices?
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

I recently acquired the DA-3000 after selling my Korg MR-1000 last year when I moved.

At $1000, I am not expecting it to be Pyramix quality or anything, but it has certainly made my life easier. Right now I have a couple outputs of my DAW (apogee da-16x) running to a Tube Tech CL-2A and a Dangerous BAX, into the DA-3000, while I wait to set up my analog console at my new place, but primarily, I purchased it to mix down from the console.

If you plan on recording to DSD, you will need some kind of conversion software. Korg offers Audiogate, and although it is free, if you don't own a Korg DSD recorder, you have to join Twitter to use it, although there is a new crippled "player" that will work without twitter.

I ended up purchasing DSDMaster from the Mac Store. It is a drag and drop converter that will do batch conversion.

Obviously, you can also record to PCM.

Very easy to use interface, excellent metering, auto marker feature to start new tracks during silence, can hook a USB keyboard to it for track naming, takes both CF and SD cards, plus you can plug a USB stick into it for backup or playback. Solid build quality. Many i/o options, word clock i/o, can be used as a stand alone ad/da converter, can be cascaded for multitrack recording. I am definitely happy with the purchase.
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

How are the Tascam DA converters compared to your Apogee?
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marrvel View Post
How are the Tascam DA converters compared to your Apogee?
I actually can't answer that, because I read all these posts about this converter sounds more "word that tries to describe sound" and this converter sounds like "other word that tries to describe sound", but when my Apogees are hooked in to my console, I have the same capability that you had when using tape with a repro head on a console...you can set up a channel to give you the sound of the preamp directly through the console, or you can hit the "tape" button, and hear what's going in and out of the tape machine....but with my DAW, that button actually can give me the sound of the direct preamp, or that same preamp going through the Apogee ins, through the DAW, and out of the Apogee outs. The reason I've used the same AD/DA converters for the past 10 years is that I cannot tell a difference.

I am monitoring through Focal Solo6 speakers. To me, it's just not a factor....the Apogees don't change the sound. Maybe I just don't have a golden ear, but I am happy with them.

The Tascam are the same...I can monitor directly from the Apogee outs, or monitor from the Apogees through the Tascam...it sounds the same to me.

I have a well treated room, and good monitoring. I just don't think it's a big deal....For me, I got the Tascam for convenience. If you have a crazy treated perfect room and muti-thousand dollar monitors, you may hear a difference, but to me, spending more money on conversion is just not a priority. I just bought the Dangerous BAX, a Rivera Rock Crusher, and Silent Sister...I think that was way better money spent than trying to upgrade my converters, or even worry about them to get an extra 2% in audio quality that I simply cannot hear.

Sorry for the mini diatribe, but I think the whole converter thing is just not a top priority once you get into the "beyond prosumer" converter category. Sure, once you've spent the big money on the room, the monitoring, the outboard, then maybe you will hear that 2% extra from your converters, but to me, comparing the Apogee AD/DA-16X to the Tascam DA-3000 converters is like comparing apples to apples.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search