The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
which telefunken pre amp is the right one for me? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 1st June 2014
Gear Addict
which telefunken pre amp is the right one for me?

hi, i am looking for a good pre amp and leaning towards the telefunken area. i did a bit of reading but i am still not sure for what i should go. i mainly wanna use it for vocals, mainly soft female. i have a harrison desk full of harrisin pre amps but when testing against other pres i e.g. found that the tone i get with a BAE 1073 was more natural and what i like. thus my search for a pre amp

i also have many synths and keyboards which i am recording all the time. so these are my options:

v76 - mono but top notch. i might get one for around 2000 euro (good price?)

2 racked v72 - line pre amp, lot less gain, but stereo so i could record my (stereo) keyboards with it. is it enough gain to record vocals with? i have a neumann tlm 193. could get them for 2000 euro (good price?)

2 racked v376 - solid state version which seems to be great sounding as well, close to the rolls royce v76 - not sure what they will go for but probably for around 1000 euro (nice - would leave budget for a tape machine!)

thanks for your help!!
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

A v76 for 2000€ is hard to find these days fyi

The best tube pre ever is the maihak v41b from 1947 and a 47 large badge is the best mic to go with it

Good luck finding one
They go for heaaaps of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
hi, i am looking for a good pre amp and leaning towards the telefunken area. i did a bit of reading but i am still not sure for what i should go. i mainly wanna use it for vocals, mainly soft female. i have a harrison desk full of harrisin pre amps but when testing against other pres i e.g. found that the tone i get with a BAE 1073 was more natural and what i like. thus my search for a pre amp

i also have many synths and keyboards which i am recording all the time. so these are my options:

2 racked v72 - line pre amp, lot less gain, but stereo so i could record my (stereo) keyboards with it. is it enough gain to record vocals with? i have a neumann tlm 193. could get them for 2000 euro (good price?)

2 racked v376 - solid state version which seems to be great sounding as well, close to the rolls royce v76 - not sure what they will go for but probably for around 1000 euro (nice - would leave budget for a tape machine!)

thanks for your help!!
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Your search may be over with this...hopefully they shop overseas...

Marquette Audio Labs
Old 3rd June 2014
Pentode Tube pre's

Quality pentode tube pre amp designs? if I were you I would be looking for an Old RCA pre amp if possible an OP-6:
RCA OP-6 Tube Microphone Pre-Amplifier from the 1940's Drum tracking and V/O - YouTube
Caution!, original Telefunken V series pre's have been known to have transformer insulation problems so I would be tempted to go for an EMI Redd variant of the Telefunken circuit which has a different transformer and a few extra dB's of gain over and above a V72's.
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

If I were you I'd forget about the other pre's and fix what you already have.

Change the op-amps of your Harrison pre's (to discrete op-amps like API 2520) and you'll have one of the most natural sounding pres ever. Also use your Harrison in Return Mix mode, that way you'll have nothing but the pre in your signal chain.

V76 is a great pre and so is V376. Although V376 is more versatile.
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

thanks for your help!!
personally i would not buy any of those without listening/trying them in my own studio first. the telefunken tube stuff has a very special sound. lots of people hate it when compared to modern preamps (talking about my clients).
90% of them choose the gml before the telefunken stuff (before eq that is).

i love their sound. but in order to fit them into a modern context one needs serious amount of proper hardware eq as well.
they are extremely slow. so all transients get rounded off to an extend. this is amazing for some music. totally wrong for other genres. also they are very "flat" (dark) compared to most other preamps i have.
if you own the right hardware eqs (say a quality desk) this is amzing and needs just some high end/presens boost. but no point in spilling lots of money on them and then using some itb eqs to "brighten" them up. it doesnt work. i tried. this is my experience from using v72s for many years. the v376 is a different beast all together.

also i do not know of any company racking v72s properly. most of the time (well every unit i saw) the pads are done wrong. this messes up the impedance. basically one has to know that it is not possible to get less than 15db of attenuation on a v72 without major drawbacks. so if a company offers like 3db steps just walk away.....
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

the amount of misinformation/panic over vintage gear in this thread is astonishing. indeed if you got no tech or knowledge about vintage designs, buy clones.
Old 3rd June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
the amount of misinformation/panic over vintage gear in this thread is astonishing. indeed if you got no tech or knowledge about vintage designs, buy clones.
Bang on target there, Mr. Metal! Everyone I know is raving about the Mercury recreations and stating they are just like the Telefunkens were back in the day. Wouldn't you rather have something new that is reliable and comes with a warranty and has the same sound?

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with Mercury in any way shape or form... but they are welcome to make me an offer! LMAO
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

are you talking about my post? all my v72s are perfectly serviced and calibrated. i just tried to give the op some honest advice.
Old 4th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
are you talking about my post? all my v72s are perfectly serviced and calibrated. i just tried to give the op some honest advice.
If you're directing your question at me, the answer is a definitive 'no'. I responded to NickelIronSteel (Mr. Metal) 's post.
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

Mr. Metal?
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunk View Post
If I were you I'd forget about the other pre's and fix what you already have.

Change the op-amps of your Harrison pre's (to discrete op-amps like API 2520) and you'll have one of the most natural sounding pres ever. Also use your Harrison in Return Mix mode, that way you'll have nothing but the pre in your signal chain.

V76 is a great pre and so is V376. Although V376 is more versatile.
something like this?

which telefunken pre amp is the right one for me?API Vintage 2520 Op Amp | eBay
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
something like this?

which telefunken pre amp is the right one for me?API Vintage 2520 Op Amp | eBay
Yes. But that price is just ridiculous. It's not rocket science, just build your own or buy the clones:

ML2520 [ML2520-DOA] - $60.00 : Whistle Rock Audio Online Store

2520 DOA comparisons
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Addict
yeah i found also some other clones - will get some and try that out. thanks for the tip!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search