The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buzz Essence vs. Inward Connections Brute for voice/vocals
Old 31st May 2014
Buzz Essence vs. Inward Connections Brute for voice/vocals

I have the Essence, considering swapping it out for the Brute. Not 100% sure I am diggin the slight harmonics from the Essence, perhaps a touch of vintage vibe? What I want is modern, big, and upfront. Mainly looking to use this for voice over with less vs more compression, and transparent. I love my Grace M502 but looking for a second option.

Don't get me wrong, the Buzz sounds awesome, but for my very particular need, I am considering a switch... Considering. If I were a singer instead of a VO artist, the Buzz would be my go to.
Old 1st June 2014
The Essence's cousin, the APA Leviathan is more present/airy than the Essence. I know a handful of people who have both and they find them complementary in the way you are looking for. The IGS Photon opto is also a good choice, not extremely colored either (not that the Essence is extremely colored either IME though, like you said 'just a touch'). A comp that is quite transparent and sounds excellent also is the Tonelux TX5C.
Old 2nd June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourVoiceOver View Post
I have the Essence, considering swapping it out for the Brute. Not 100% sure I am diggin the slight harmonics from the Essence, perhaps a touch of vintage vibe? What I want is modern, big, and upfront. Mainly looking to use this for voice over with less vs more compression, and transparent. I love my Grace M502 but looking for a second option.

Don't get me wrong, the Buzz sounds awesome, but for my very particular need, I am considering a switch... Considering. If I were a singer instead of a VO artist, the Buzz would be my go to.
I've owned both, sonically their both equally good, so you wont gain anything there. The brute will be easier/quicker to dial in.
Old 9th June 2014
I've decided to stick with the Essence. I realized I may have just been getting lazy with a simple plug and play mentality. It wasn't until I spent some real time getting to know the Essence, and how much each setting can really make a HUGE difference. Finding the right setting combo really gave me what I was looking for. Fastest Attack, Fastest Release, easing off the drive and kicking in the Treble Freq Boost to cut down on sibilance put my sound right where I needed it. Also, since I felt I wanted more air, and presence, I simply used my A-Designs P1 preamp to balance out what I thought I was missing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search