The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pics of ATC SCM 150ASL PRO's anyone?
Old 28th May 2014
Here for the gear

Pics of ATC SCM 150ASL PRO's anyone?

Hi all,

I will be trying to turn a set of pa65's into scm150 asl pro's. The people over at ATC are really helpfull, i am getting a lot of info from them. The only thing i am still looking for is pictures of the inside of the cabinets, before i start building. Has anyone taken them apart, or maybe any other of the PRO models. It would be helpfull to have a peak inside before i start building the cabinets.
Please post, or PM me.
Thanks for looking,
J
Old 29th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanS View Post
Hi all,

I will be trying to turn a set of pa65's into scm150 asl pro's. The people over at ATC are really helpfull, i am getting a lot of info from them. The only thing i am still looking for is pictures of the inside of the cabinets, before i start building. Has anyone taken them apart, or maybe any other of the PRO models. It would be helpfull to have a peak inside before i start building the cabinets.
Please post, or PM me.
Thanks for looking,
J
Why not buy a set of 150 empty cabinets from ATC?

PA65's also use a different woofer than 150s, so you knew that already I am guessing.

Brad
Old 31st May 2014
Here for the gear

Hi Brad,
ATC doesn't sell empty cabinets. i would have prefered that. Regarding the woofers, i read that, but themn at ATC they say they're the same. Why would you think they're different? I will phone them again on monday. Thanks for your help.
jan
Old 31st May 2014
Here for the gear

Hey brad,
the woofers in this pair are:
sb75/375 sl
that would be the same as in the 150's, no?
jan
Old 6th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanS View Post
Hey brad,
the woofers in this pair are:
sb75/375 sl
that would be the same as in the 150's, no?
jan
Yes that is the 15 SL, I am surprised as not all PA65's have that drive unit.
Brad
Old 6th June 2014
Lives for gear

I wouldn't have thought you need to worry about the exact shape of the box so long as the front baffle width is basically the same as the SCM150 and has properly rounded edges to reduce edge diffraction.

Obviously you will have to achieve an internal volume of 150 litres, and the port tuning must be the same as used in the SCM150.
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

There is a thread on one of the HiFi DIY sites.
Not sure if the 150 is exactly 150 liters or an approximation, but using one of the many Thiele Small calculators you could get an approximate tuning.
I do remember, the box is pretty simple not much if any internal braceing. Just a very well built box with minimal damping. Plus they have a schematic of the crossover.
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

Active is definitely the way to go, far superior IMO! That is unless you really like building your own inductors and losing tonnes of power into heating them up....

I believe there is cross-bracing in the SCM150s, although I could be wrong.

There is a danger with using an off-the-shelf thieve small calculator - ATC don't use a conventional port-alignment (which is why their speakers don't really sound like ported boxes).
Old 13th June 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks all. I have the Pa65's in my control room. They sound great. I have the drawings of the SCM 150 cabinets, and all the information i need. Only thing now is, i really like the tight low end in the PA65 cabinets. The low end sort of fits in the room as it were. I am a little scared that the low end will be too much for my room (25 sq meters, 2,5 m high). I guess my question here is if anyone knows the difference between the two cabinets, especially in the low range. Will the ported cabinets go way lower? Will the low end be less tight?
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

In theory a port will give up some of that tightness, but ATCs loading is tighter than most.
If memory serves me, ATC woofers will work fine in a sealed cabinet and the crossover is straight forward so A custom 65/150 hybrid might be a better fit for you!
Talk to the guys at ATC, cabinets are pretty simple to experiment with!
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

They could also mount the amp packs in some desperate enclosures if you want. I would very very strongly recommend the active system over the passive system!
Old 9th October 2015
Here for the gear

I'm also making some ATC 150 ASL cabs...would you be willing to share the drawings you have please?
Also, I presume you meant SEPARATE enclosures for the amps, not DESPERATE? :-)
Old 18th May 2016
Here for the gear

Interesting posts, as I am doing the same, PA65s are now being put into 150l boxes, however I don't know what length the 110mm port needs to be for the SL units. Anyone got some factory made 150L they could pop a measure in and let me know? Would be helpful and save a lot of messing around once they are built. Many thanks.

Keith

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search