The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Some exciting news from Custom Series 75 Consoles.
Old 5th March 2019
Here for the gear

IIRC, THD Labs has their Ultimation version of the TAI either ready or very close to production, and their current VCA system is really quite nice to use. They'd probably be a good contender if a console manufacturer was looking for a bespoke automation system.

It is a "Neve" though... why not Flying Faders?
Old 5th March 2019
MGA
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenhouseNH View Post

It is a "Neve" though... why not Flying Faders?
Thinking the same thing, can Martin Sound Flying Faders II be retro fitted?....
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

Wonder if DAWtomation is happening? Created by Classic API (CAPI):
DAWtomation Systems LLC
– dawtomationsystems
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Nut

There's also Malcolm Toft's Fadermate

Fadermate

Lots of choices is good.
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

At that price no AUTO is a deal breaker
Old 7th March 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxplayerz View Post
At that price no AUTO is a deal breaker
At the price of the console?

IMO it is worth every penny as a front end alone. Having automation on the backend is a luxury at this point.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

The Capi Dawtomation looks great, even has led scribble strips which is a bonus. Can someone educate me on the difference between VCA and motorized faders? or are they the same thing?
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
The Capi Dawtomation looks great, even has led scribble strips which is a bonus. Can someone educate me on the difference between VCA and motorized faders? or are they the same thing?
Hello

VCA (voltage controlled amplifier) is an active circuit which is used as a level element in this case, "electronic fader", in general you can use different things to set the control voltage, a fader, DAC, or a modulated DC from a side chain like in VCA compressor

Motorised fader is same as a fader, except the mechanical movement can be controlled via the motor and the driver coming with. Audio still passive through the resistive element of the fader

Now...you can also set the CV of a VCA via a motorised fader

Best
Zam
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamproject View Post
Hello

VCA (voltage controlled amplifier) is an active circuit which is used as a level element in this case, "electronic fader", in general you can use different things to set the control voltage, a fader, DAC, or a modulated DC from a side chain like in VCA compressor

Motorised fader is same as a fader, except the mechanical movement can be controlled via the motor and the driver coming with. Audio still passive through the resistive element of the fader

Now...you can also set the CV of a VCA via a motorised fader

Best
Zam
Great thanks for the info, Now it seems that a motorized fader would be more preferable seeing as it is passive and have less effect on the sound.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Great thanks for the info, Now it seems that a motorized fader would be more preferable seeing as it is passive and have less effect on the sound.
Yes, but qualitative motor fader for analogue audio use (with audio track) is not cheap...

Best
Zam
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, but qualitative motor fader for analogue audio use (with audio track) is not cheap...

Best
Zam
It sure ain't.

But looking at that Capi Dawtomation online, I'm coming up with about $11k for a 24 fader system...as they are showing the 12 ch sets on sale--which I assume means they're available to order (site says 'made to order').

$11k for a 24 moving fader system seems the cheapest I've ever seen?
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
It sure ain't.

But looking at that Capi Dawtomation online, I'm coming up with about $11k for a 24 fader system...as they are showing the 12 ch sets on sale--which I assume means they're available to order (site says 'made to order').

Just over 200 bucks per fader would certainly make it the cheapest! That’s an amazing price.
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
It sure ain't.

I'm more about 12.5K for the "mid" version with all remote available at faders (make no sense to not be able to set auto read/write at the fader front panel...)

Also for what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) they install the system, you can't purchase and install by yourself, don't know what the tech hours rate is, nor the travel expense (like outside US...)

For sure modern embedded electronic make this easier to design and cheaper than before... I'm still interested to have the spec published, fader brand, time response, static accuracy, dynamic noise (sliding at both acoustic and electronic side) etc... but none do this unfortunately

the cheapest is the "fadermate" but I personally won't load a 15bucks ALPS cheap carbon track with poor mechanical design in a highend console.

Best
Zam
Old 8th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
At the price of the console?

IMO it is worth every penny as a front end alone. Having automation on the backend is a luxury at this point.
Agreed.

Once I establish levels on the console, I set my automation within the DAW. It makes recall a hell of a lot simpler, and the desire for fader or VCA automation all but moot.

But in talking with Bruce, the bucket is deep enough and there's enough space to handle any type of fader automation out there.
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

What about the trident guys automation setup.
Forget the company name
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
What about the trident guys automation setup.
Forget the company name
For what I can tell it's the same as Swiftmix used in the 5088.

Best
Zam
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
For what I can tell it's the same as Swiftmix used in the 5088.

Best
Zam
FaderMate found it
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
FaderMate found it
Ha !

I name it 5 post before
I was thinking you talked about the automation fitted with the new Trident console, not the automation that M.Toft recently put his renowned on it .

Best
Zam
Old 9th March 2019
Quote:
FaderMate found it
I haven't done any research yet, but wondering if this would work with Speck's via Faders?

That would be pretty amazing if so.

Edit: reading through the fitting guide, it's an Alps faders replacement. Guess I could easily just make my own mounting plate and have fully motorized automation from the DAW in front of the SumBus. Pretty rad.
Old 24th March 2019
Hello, I work for Bruce at TDD and BAS. To answer some of the questions I have seen on here (sorry I'm late) we are currently building a few consoles, the latest is serial number 65. We just delivered two CS75s to a high profile client that will be announced shortly. We also recently moved Sully Earner's 32Ch from New Hampshire to his new commercial facility in Nashville if anyone in the area would like to get hands on with one and have a listen.

The automation will be handled by THD as previously stated. It will be motorized faders with mute automation, and we are thinking of adding a few features in the future. Daniel from THD is working on the PCBs now. It will be automated through Pro Tools using the THD plugin, and the Pro Tools automation system we are all familiar with.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinebox Studio Services View Post
Hello, I work for Bruce at TDD and BAS. To answer some of the questions I have seen on here (sorry I'm late) we are currently building a few consoles, the latest is serial number 65. We just delivered two CS75s to a high profile client that will be announced shortly. We also recently moved Sully Earner's 32Ch from New Hampshire to his new commercial facility in Nashville if anyone in the area would like to get hands on with one and have a listen.

The automation will be handled by THD as previously stated. It will be motorized faders with mute automation, and we are thinking of adding a few features in the future. Daniel from THD is working on the PCBs now. It will be automated through Pro Tools using the THD plugin, and the Pro Tools automation system we are all familiar with.
I don't use slow tools. What about dp , reaper and reason or ableton? Also why do you not publish the consoles specs?
Old 24th March 2019
Quote:
I don't use slow tools. What about dp , reaper and reason or ableton? Also why do you not publish the consoles specs?

All automation software will be handled by THD through his interface, but considering his first Tangerine design was routed through Reaper I would say there is a strong probability of these other DAWs being included in his software. I can't comment on which will be supported day one release.

Us younger guys at the company constantly badger the older guys for a new website, and we are discussing what to include in it, what specs do you want to see? Maybe we could publish them on the site, alongside some original 1081/1073 comparisons. If you want any specifics that we have, you can talk directly to Bruce or Steve, I believe you will find we are an extremely honest and transparent company to a fault, I have personally been present to hear Bruce talk someone out of buying a CS75 because it was not the best fit for their application.

Last edited by Pinebox Studio Services; 24th March 2019 at 09:52 PM..
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
All automation software will be handled by THD through his interface, but considering his first Tangerine design was routed through Reaper I would say there is a strong probability of these other DAWs being included in his software. I can't comment on which will be supported day one release.

Us younger guys at the company constantly badger the older guys for a new website, and we are discussing what to include in it, what specs do you want to see? Maybe we could publish them on the site, alongside some real 1081/1073 comparisons. If you want any specifics that we have, you can talk directly to Bruce or Steve, I believe you will find we are an extremely honest and transparent company to a fault, I have personally been present to hear Bruce talk someone out of buying a CS75 because it was not the best fit for their application.
Specs like I see on the other console sites.
Snr , crosstalk, frq response, etc
Old 25th March 2019
Quote:

Us younger guys at the company constantly badger the older guys for a new website, and we are discussing what to include in it, what specs do you want to see? Maybe we could publish them on the site, alongside some original 1081/1073 comparisons. If you want any specifics that we have, you can talk directly to Bruce or Steve, I believe you will find we are an extremely honest and transparent company to a fault, I have personally been present to hear Bruce talk someone out of buying a CS75 because it was not the best fit for their application.
you're a stand up cat, also
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Addict

Having owned one of these consoles from the very beginning (ser#001), I can say all of the folks at CS75 are absolutely top of the game. They were completely responsive during the transition to new ownership, honored all the previous owners had committed to me, etc.

And the console continues to impress everyone who uses it. A stunning sounding box.

J
Old 26th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
you're a stand up cat, also
Thank you Adam, much respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Having owned one of these consoles from the very beginning (ser#001), I can say all of the folks at CS75 are absolutely top of the game. They were completely responsive during the transition to new ownership, honored all the previous owners had committed to me, etc.

And the console continues to impress everyone who uses it. A stunning sounding box.

J
Thank you, I will be sure to pass on the praise to Bruce and Steve!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search