The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500s EQ for this chain?? u87+1073+LA2A+Bac500 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 29th June 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverNotAFighter View Post
Hi Baz
Did you compare it with the electrodyne?
Nope but I've heard great things about it as well as the A-Designs though. The guy I bought mine from kept a pair of Purple LilPQr's.

I wanted the PEQ's because of all the EQ points (right up to 25k) and the LPF. the LPF is one of the best features on this. Such a smooth filter.
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I wanted the PEQ's because of all the EQ points (right up to 25k) and the LPF. the LPF is one of the best features on this. Such a smooth filter.
Just to clarify. Which PEQ500 are you referring to? Thanks.
Old 29th June 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Just to clarify. Which PEQ500 are you referring to? Thanks.
Hey hasbeen..my bad.I didn't know there was more than one 500 series PEQ500

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgjgqzyj1bc534m/peq500s.jpg
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'm a bit confuse now

all the recomended models are + or - in the same price but
I can`t get a A/B comparison and listen

don`t know if i can get all the benefits of freqs. over 20k recording at 44/24
but all this EQs like E27, xFilter seems to be more complete and useful in diferent tasks
I suggest to find a dealer that let you return the units that you don't need/want and then get 2/3 candidates that you might want to check out and send back the ones that you don't like.. I believe this is the only way..

With many of the suggestions you'll have good/great results.. but in the end is your taste/goals and the songs that dictates if a piece of gear is "good" or not.. there's no real "best" (unless we speak about the quality of the components themselves, and price/value ratio, but music is not always intersted in this.. ) sometimes a less than great piece of gear "might" be preferred for reaching your goal..

Just for the sake of correct information I'd like to say that the 28k (or the freqs over 20k) (in the Avedis E27 or MA5, but this is true for all the other eq's that go over 17kHz) have a very gentle slope that starts in the audible range...
so when you boost the 28k, your frequencies start to rise from 12.5 on..(more or less), 28k is the center of the peak for the boost (or cut).
Having an higher frequency like that in practical terms means that you boost in a range where there's no harshness, leaving intact the sub 10k range that might be/is problematic sometimes.

Sometimes when I track vocals, I push the 28k boost button on the MA5, and then "tame" it to taste with the E27 at a lower frequency (like 17.5kHz or 20k..or even lower, depending what I want to achieve and what I'm recording).. in a sort of a pultec "trick"..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 3rd July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Nope but I've heard great things about it as well as the A-Designs though. The guy I bought mine from kept a pair of Purple LilPQr's.

I thought you was talking about the A-Designs PEQ,
so, you are happy with your JLM, isn't it

the difference of prices is remarcable,
anybody compares? pros and cons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I suggest to find a dealer that let you return the units that you don't need/want and then get 2/3 candidates that you might want to check out and send back the ones that you don't like.. I believe this is the only way..

With many of the suggestions you'll have good/great results.. but in the end is your taste/goals and the songs that dictates if a piece of gear is "good" or not.. there's no real "best" (unless we speak about the quality of the components themselves, and price/value ratio, but music is not always intersted in this.. ) sometimes a less than great piece of gear "might" be preferred for reaching your goal..

Just for the sake of correct information I'd like to say that the 28k (or the freqs over 20k) (in the Avedis E27 or MA5, but this is true for all the other eq's that go over 17kHz) have a very gentle slope that starts in the audible range...
so when you boost the 28k, your frequencies start to rise from 12.5 on..(more or less), 28k is the center of the peak for the boost (or cut).
Having an higher frequency like that in practical terms means that you boost in a range where there's no harshness, leaving intact the sub 10k range that might be/is problematic sometimes.

Sometimes when I track vocals, I push the 28k boost button on the MA5, and then "tame" it to taste with the E27 at a lower frequency (like 17.5kHz or 20k..or even lower, depending what I want to achieve and what I'm recording).. in a sort of a pultec "trick"..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Hi Cheu,
love your answer,
very interesting know about that,
kind of wide peak but if don't mess with the "sss"
it is a master trick

Can you buy now in Europe the E27?

I think I can`t find a dealer to do that (3 choices comparison)
and the nearest shop I can find don`t have my choices

Top choices:
-PEQ (aDesigns vs JLM, which one guys??)
-Electrodyne
-Harrison (cause the HP)

Still want to know about the Helios Type 69

cheers

h.
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Can you buy now in Europe the E27?

I think I can`t find a dealer to do that (3 choices comparison)
and the nearest shop I can find don`t have my choices
I guess that the E27, which is shipping now, could be found at any dealer that carries Avedis Audio stuff.. Digital Audio Service and ES pro audio in Germany comes to mind, Funky Junk, in UK and other locations in Europe, have them as well (or will have them shortly). Where are you located?

VK and ZenProAudio in the US should have them, as well as Tony Belmont's High Profile Audio and many others..as said, basically everybody that is an Avedis dealer.

You might want to put down a deposit for 2/3 units, test them, and then return what you don't need.. if it's done in your country should be possible.. don't screw the units in the LB, so you won't damage them..
or eventually try to go at the dealer shop and test them out with your music/material..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 3rd July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
I guess that the E27, which is shipping now, could be found at any dealer that carries Avedis Audio stuff.. Digital Audio Service and ES pro audio in Germany comes to mind, Funky Junk, in UK and other locations in Europe, have them as well (or will have them shortly). Where are you located?

VK and ZenProAudio in the US should have them, as well as Tony Belmont's High Profile Audio and many others..as said, basically everybody that is an Avedis dealer.

You might want to put down a deposit for 2/3 units, test them, and then return what you don't need.. if it's done in your country should be possible.. don't screw the units in the LB, so you won't damage them..
or eventually try to go at the dealer shop and test them out with your music/material..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
It is not yet in the sites you named.
I got good experience with D.A.S., and nice prices

I live in Northwest spain, and we are lucky we have a store in the biggest city
but haven't all my choices
Maybe it`s better talk to them

Anyway, would like to listen to any E27 demos in the net
Now I'm sure that I need a mojo thing, more nice than exact thing
I know is better to listen in your face but
only with the internet demos I get more excited with some models

Thanks for your nice replies
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is not yet in the sites you named.
I got good experience with D.A.S., and nice prices
It's not yet in those websites only because he just started shipping them after years of being discontinued, so they didn't put it up yet.. but any dealer that carries the MA5 could get the E27 of course. Ask Arnd at DAS..he will for sure take care of that.

I don't know if the store close to your place have the MA5 or any Avedis product, if he does, he could get the E27's..

Electrodyne 511 is quite limited in the freq points and quite expensive for a 2 band eq, but sounds very sweet. The Harrison is quite different, 4 band eq with filters, complete eq..also nice..the E27 is a 3 band EQ, which is not overly coloured, but very sweet sounding and ppl also pass the signal through it because of the "benefits" you get from the circuit&xformers without eq'ing... afterall depends what do you want.. quite personal.. heh

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 5th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
It's not yet in those websites only because he just started shipping them after years of being discontinued, so they didn't put it up yet.. but any dealer that carries the MA5 could get the E27 of course. Ask Arnd at DAS..he will for sure take care of that.

I don't know if the store close to your place have the MA5 or any Avedis product, if he does, he could get the E27's..

Electrodyne 511 is quite limited in the freq points and quite expensive for a 2 band eq, but sounds very sweet. The Harrison is quite different, 4 band eq with filters, complete eq..also nice..the E27 is a 3 band EQ, which is not overly coloured, but very sweet sounding and ppl also pass the signal through it because of the "benefits" you get from the circuit&xformers without eq'ing... afterall depends what do you want.. quite personal.. heh

I hope this helps,

Cheu
thanks for your reply

no experience with the any of the PEQs?
Old 5th July 2014
Lives for gear

I played with the adesigns a bit, but never used extensively in a mix or anything serious..

Cheu
Old 5th July 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

Last I saw, A-Designs calls theirs an EM-PEQ? The only "PEQ500" I've seen is the JLM.
I read comments from Pan60 sometime back where I believe he thought the low end was tighter in the EM-PEQ.While I wouldn't know I can't say there's anything about the low end in mine I have qualms with.Plus again, more freq points and a lovely LPF
Old 5th July 2014
Gear Guru

When I want "just a little bit of bright", it's hard not to love the API 550A. It's a classic for good reason. The 10k & 12.5k bands are just magical pixie dust air for vocals IMO. Not too high like some of the air bands, and not dropping down into that sibilance range of others. Just right....
Old 5th July 2014
Lives for gear
Maag
Old 5th July 2014
Gear Addict

Has anyone had any experience with the Toft Ocean stuff for the 500 series?

Cheers
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear
Sooooo...Lover...which eq did you do with?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search