The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
"That" 80's Snare Reverb
Old 6th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Room sound was very important to these drum sounds.
Big rooms, or stone rooms.
Since thread is specifically about a decaying snare sound, are you saying that the engineer EQ'd the Room mics to eliminate the kick and hi hat/cymbal sounds and isolate the room decay sound from the snare?
Old 7th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
I never use samples to replace drums, to the day I won't replace a snare or kick with a sample. We did use the Forat F-16 for the toms on one occasion on the Saigon Kick album. Everything was recorded in one smallish room, and the amp stacks did a number on the tom mics, so we used the F-16 with triggers. Other than that I don't use samples to replace, maybe to enhance.

On some albums I used white/pink noise through a keyed gate, to extend the snare sound and/or a 60Hz tone, gated and keyed by the kick itself to make the kick sound lower.
Pretty neat trick with the white/pink noise.
btw Michael, years ago back in late 1986 David Rochester which helped design
your studio, he worked here in Greenville at Sundown Sounds, we were friends, I worked in video and he worked at the studio and sometimes we would put audio to video etc (we did product tool videos), anyways David needed some photo work done of his band, in return he recorded a song for my band which later debut on MTV Jan 1st 1987. I miss talking to David he has really moved forward with his designs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search