The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler TG1 vs API 2500 for guitar buss Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th May 2014
Gear Head

Chandler TG1 vs API 2500 for guitar buss

Narrowed my search down to
A TG1 or API 2500 for my electric guitar buss.
Anyone have experience using both units for this purpose?
Know both are great.
Old 12th May 2014
Unless you already have a TG-2 or TG channel that the guitar is tracked with, then get the TG-1. The API is more versatile in terms of function, but the TG-1 is THE TONE for electric guitars. Guitars are super simple to limit or gently level if needed anyhow, that's why even a simple two knob opto will work. In other words, the TG-1 will give you more flexibility than you need in this application IME.
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

Having both, I'd definitely advise the API. The Chandler does have a great tone but unless you're operating in THD mode you can't ignore it's compression characteristics and the API has it beat in spades (and it's tone sure don't suck, either) - obviously it has handy features like ratio, attack and release times that the Chandler doesn't have but also has new and old modes. The handiest feature, however, is the ability to choose how linked the two channels are instead of just linked or independent.

This, I find, is extremely handy on the guitar buss because you can control how much the guitars play of of each other in a stereo mix of 2 or more guitars. Don't get me wrong, I love the TG1 but it's simply too limited for guitar buss compression (especially with hard panned guitars playing off of each other rhythmically) - I'd rather use it on the drum buss, 2 mono sources or a true stereo instrument and save the API for guitars.
Old 12th May 2014
Gear Addict

Agreed with whats been said before.

The TG1 does give you a great guitar sound, but should you want to use it on other busses as well, the API will be of more value to you.
Old 12th May 2014
If you buy a TG1 for guitar bus you'd pretty quickly find you'd need another for drum bus. Just buy both now and save yourself the time.
Old 12th May 2014
Gear Head

Yes I am using a tg2
And sometimes a 1073's. To record electric guitars. Also would the tg1 and API 2500
Be good for acoustic guitar stereo buss?
I use a rnd master buss compressor also.
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

IMO, the TG comp tends to soften guitars too much for me making them feel distant. If you're adding it in parallel to the signal it could be fine, but otherwise I'd go with the API which has a bity-er upper-mid presence which helps define the playing. It's also waaaay more versatile than the TG which is kinda a one-trick (..two tricks...) pony. The TG2 is a whole other story though.
Old 6th June 2014
Here for the gear

Tg-1 is great on guitars. acoustic and electric
Old 8th June 2014
Once you've tried it, you'd be hard-pressed to rip the TG1 from your drums for use on a guitar buss.

How are you folks who dig TG1 on guitars setting it? What kind of guitar work are running through it?

Random fun fact: TG1 is an outstanding piano compressor. Just narrowly beats out my other favorite, which happens to be the 2500.
Old 8th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Once you've tried it, you'd be hard-pressed to rip the TG1 from your drums for use on a guitar buss.
AMEN!!! I have the Zener - and in limit mode it is so freakkin' awesome on drums and mainbus! All time favorite!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search