The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tape half speed shoot out
Old 9th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Tape half speed shoot out

I want to start working with a tape machine to record sounds from my DAW on tape, play them back at half speed and send them back to my DAW.
To confirm that the results sound different than using a sampler, I would like tape machine users to post examples at normal and half speed.

Anybody?

Looking forward to hear the results!
Old 10th May 2014
Gear Nut

Respect. I started on tape and won't be doing this - but I salute your efforts.

You are my audio Don Quixote. You charge that Windmill.

Again, respect to you over there from up here in Tall Tree Country.
Old 10th May 2014
Lives for gear

they results do sound different..we know that since the day the first samplers appeared.. it sounds nicer on tape.. but samplers have other neat features that are difficult to achieve with tape.. playing melodies and chords on a keyboard for example..
Old 10th May 2014
Gear Maniac

I know, I want to use it for creative sound design, not for melodies.
Old 10th May 2014
Gear Nut

@Viruslabs I agree - I'm just not going back there.

I no longer lust for a well maintained Studer.

It'd be a crystal champagne flute that won't stack in the dishwasher when the clients are drinking cooking lager from the can.

@LiquidChild - I've subscribed. I'm going to listen to anything that's posted - and am looking forward to it.
Old 10th May 2014
Lives for gear

actually minidisks slow down allmost as nice as tapes because the samplrate reduction happes before the ATRAC codec works...
Old 10th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goz211 View Post
Respect. I started on tape and won't be doing this - but I salute your efforts.

You are my audio Don Quixote. You charge that Windmill.

Again, respect to you over there from up here in Tall Tree Country.
Thanks!!
Old 10th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viruslabs View Post
actually minidisks slow down allmost as nice as tapes because the samplrate reduction happes before the ATRAC codec works...
Good idea.

I would also like to hear half speed sound results from different tape machines to get a feeling if I just need a 50 dollar tape deck or a 1000 dollar tape machine.

I'll post a few samples later today in original and half speed (done by software samplers) to get a starting point for the shoot out.

Old 10th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Here is a Drone I designed and would like to hear how it would sound recorded on a tape machine and played back with half or quarter speed.
Attached Files
File Type: aif Drone 1 Original.aif (1.10 MB, 142 views)
Old 10th May 2014
Gear Maniac

This is the same sample pitched down in the software sampler Kontakt by 12 and 24 semitones. I assume playing back the original file with half/quarter speed on a tape machine sounds different.
Attached Files
File Type: aif Drone 1 Kontakt -12.aif (1.10 MB, 122 views) File Type: aif Drone 1 Kontakt -24.aif (1.10 MB, 103 views)
Old 10th May 2014
Lives for gear

I am not clear if the tape equalization being set for any speed will be different when played back at different.

Unless the corrected equalization is applied, the sounds will different, so far as to be wrong, if any resemblance to high fidelity is a goal.

Andre
Old 11th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Here is a 2nd Drone I designed and would like to hear how it would sound recorded on a tape machine and played back with half or quarter speed.
Software based pitched versions attached as well.
Attached Files
File Type: aif Drone 2 Original.aif (1.10 MB, 111 views) File Type: aif Drone 2 Kontakt -12.aif (1.10 MB, 122 views) File Type: aif Drone 2 Kontakt -24.aif (1.10 MB, 106 views)
Old 12th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Here is a sound effect, I would like to hear how it would sound recorded on a tape machine and played back with half or quarter speed.
Attached Files
File Type: aif Gun Original.aif (1.10 MB, 78 views)
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Anybody who would do me a big favour by recording the shared sounds with tape, playing them back on half speed and posting them here again??

Old 20th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Anybody??????
Old 20th May 2014
Gear Guru

do you have an old Cassette machine that will run at 1 7/8 and 3 3/4 ? or anyone ? that might give you some "Dirty" Fun results ..
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

If you're not looking for the tape affect specifically, you could also just hit shift and spacebar in Pro Tools and it will play your audio back half speed. I use this as a clever effect in bridges and interludes more often than I'd like to admit!
Old 20th May 2014
Gear Guru

Estock - do you record while in that mode ? if so, how ? i have not tried it but may … i used to have an HD system and tried the Varispeed using Sync I/O a couple times … interesting .. can't remember how it sounded … but i think it was good … thx john
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
Estock - do you record while in that mode ? if so, how ? i have not tried it but may … i used to have an HD system and tried the Varispeed using Sync I/O a couple times … interesting .. can't remember how it sounded … but i think it was good … thx john
You can't record in that mode, since it's actually playing at half speed and; therefore, you're recording would actually record at normal speed (hopefully that makes sense!). I patch those outputs to my Masterlink and then re-import them. Slightly inconvenient, but still WAY cheaper and more time effective than servicing a tape deck. I'd kill for an ATR102 though!
Old 20th May 2014
Gear Guru

thats what i figured … you need to use a separate recorder to get that speed on "Tape" … does not surprise me that it will not record in that mode and if you did it would be at Normal speed .. thx man ..
Old 21st May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstockAudio View Post
If you're not looking for the tape affect specifically, you could also just hit shift and spacebar in Pro Tools and it will play your audio back half speed. I use this as a clever effect in bridges and interludes more often than I'd like to admit!
Thanks for the advice, but I know all the software pitching tricks and also use a few hardware pitch shifter and sampler. I want to hear the specific sound of tape at half and quarter speed.
Old 9th February 2016
Here for the gear

TASCAM 246 cassette tape processing

Hi guys, first post here on gearslutz. Hope this isn't too late to respond, but thought I could make a valuable contribution to this thread.

LiquidChild, I ran your Drone 1, Drone 2 and Gun sounds through my Tascam 246 onto tdk sa high bias tape.

I recorded it at 3 3/4 ips, then halved the speed playing back at 1 7/8 and then added two more variations at that speed (pitch control way down, and pitch control way up).

I didn't add any eq but had dbx nr on. So this test was not so much for trad reel tape sound, but for the Tascam 246 4 track cassette sound.

Hope it helps or is at least fun to check out.

Audio-->Tascam 246-->TDK SA tape-->motu ultrilite mk3 @ 48khz 24 bit
Attached Files
File Type: zip Drone 1 Tascam 246.zip (8.15 MB, 15 views) File Type: zip Drone 2 Tascam 246.zip (9.48 MB, 7 views)
Old 9th February 2016
Here for the gear

Tascam 246 gun fx

Thanks
-Arpi
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gun fx Tascam 246.zip (7.15 MB, 8 views)
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpiseaq View Post
Hi guys, first post here on gearslutz. Hope this isn't too late to respond, but thought I could make a valuable contribution to this thread.

LiquidChild, I ran your Drone 1, Drone 2 and Gun sounds through my Tascam 246 onto tdk sa high bias tape.

I recorded it at 3 3/4 ips, then halved the speed playing back at 1 7/8 and then added two more variations at that speed (pitch control way down, and pitch control way up).

I didn't add any eq but had dbx nr on. So this test was not so much for trad reel tape sound, but for the Tascam 246 4 track cassette sound.

Hope it helps or is at least fun to check out.

Audio-->Tascam 246-->TDK SA tape-->motu ultrilite mk3 @ 48khz 24 bit
Thanks for creating the demos, I'll listen to them later today!
Cheers, Tobias
Old 10th February 2016
Here for the gear

No problem.

- Ny name's Ruslan. Nice to meet ya man.
Old 11th February 2016
t_d
Lives for gear

shift-play in PT is a great, quick way to audition half speed.. and, no, you can't record a track thru like that, as already stated..

but.. it's just as easy to VARISPEED the track at 50% and it's non-destructively slowed down.. i do that all the time. in fact, it's one of the features that made me switch to pro tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstockAudio View Post
You can't record in that mode, since it's actually playing at half speed and; therefore, you're recording would actually record at normal speed (hopefully that makes sense!). I patch those outputs to my Masterlink and then re-import them. Slightly inconvenient, but still WAY cheaper and more time effective than servicing a tape deck. I'd kill for an ATR102 though!
Old 11th February 2016
Here for the gear

Logic x 10.2 has vari speed (and pitch) as well. For real time stretching though, nothing beats paulstretch in my book.
Old 11th February 2016
Here for the gear

By "real time stretching" I mean long stretches.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search