The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
B stock, factory repackaged, refurbished
Old 8th May 2014
B stock, factory repackaged, refurbished

I spotted some great speakers, by a well known manufacturer at a steal price from a reputable dealer recently. when I enquired about the reason for the price I was told that they were factory repackaged! I pushed a little more and it turns out that they were basically B stock, refurbished. that seems to mean that they had some problem and were returned by the customer, repaired and were being sold again at a discount.

I know lots of companies do this, Apple for one, and that many times there are no issues. they come with a full manufacturers new warranty, so I guess I shouldn't really worry, right?

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurances about doing this. Any thoughts?
Old 8th May 2014
Lives for gear

I have done this many times with zero problems.
Old 8th May 2014
Gear Guru

Often it's just a physical blemish that they can't pass off as "new", and so it becomes B stock. You can always ASK if they have been refurbed or if there are blemishes and see what they say...
Old 8th May 2014
Lives for gear

It depends on the dealer and the manufacturer,
For the most part When I was selling gear I found you were more likely in most cases to get Bad A stock as B Stock, but there were at the time some manufacturers That I would test B stock myself before sending it out!
Old 8th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
It depends on the dealer and the manufacturer,
For the most part When I was selling gear I found you were more likely in most cases to get Bad A stock as B Stock, but there were at the time some manufacturers That I would test B stock myself before sending it out!
When I was selling gear, there were some manufacturers where I had to test the A stock before sending it out.

I wouldn't have any problem buying b-stock gear. I prefer buying quality stuff second-hand anyways.
Old 8th May 2014
So that's about what I figured...

ThnX guys
Old 8th May 2014
Lives for gear

My personal feeling is the word "demo" gets used rather fast and loose these days. It used to mean something handled by a salesperson/technician and carefully repackaged after a demonstration or period of self-education. Within that generally accepted definition, buying demo can actually be a bonus because someone else has carefully tested the unit and deemed it working properly. Value add! I've been very satisfied with the demo gear I've bought, and saved a lot of money along the way.

That said, recently it seems, upon drill-down one sometimes discovers a redefinition of "demo" that includes riskier gear such as customer returns, b-stock or repaired repacks, often without manufacturer warranty. I'm still batting 1,000 on demo gear purchases but I've grown a little more hesitant unless it explicitly assures me it achieved it's "demo" status through careful and limited use of an a-stock product.
Old 8th May 2014
In this case the dealer has clearly bought a group of speakers from the manufacturer and were selling them off. As they have a full mfg. warranty I figure they are likely OK.
Old 8th May 2014
Gear Guru

Speakers are classic B stock items. They're big, heavy and easily damaged during production, packaging, unpackaging or moving them around. I know when JBL released the LSR series, they had carbon fibre front baffles that were EXTREMELY difficult to get unblemished. Although they were great, and made a really rigid front baffle, they abandoned the CF and moved to a new model without CFibre - mainly due to the problem of blemishes. They sold more B stock of those than A stock.
Old 8th May 2014
I seldom buy 'new'. B-stock, used, demos... all #1 with me.
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

I've rarely had a problem with something I purchased refurbished. Can't say the same about things I've paid full price for
Old 9th May 2014
Bought a pair of Focal Solos today. I guess I'll find out. ;-)
Old 9th May 2014
No problems with any B stock / refurb items here (so far).

I figured it'll get scuffed the first time it leaves the house, so why not?
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatar View Post
When I was selling gear, there were some manufacturers where I had to test the A stock before sending it out.

I wouldn't have any problem buying b-stock gear. I prefer buying quality stuff second-hand anyways.
True, lets see every Cheap DJ piece ! There was a guy who quit full co and started a local DJ shop, we sent him business, not worth the time for returns!

Wife's boss was worried about a refurb IMAC, hey at least someone in the US checked it !
Old 9th May 2014
Gear Guru

I've bought, and back in the day, sold a lot of B-stock. Its great when you can find it!
Old 9th May 2014
I just want to say Focal has always been really great to deal with on service/resurrecting their speakers.

For me, at least.
That's all...

Carry on.....
Old 10th May 2014
Gear Head

Al please report back your experience. I have been lucky with B stock. I hope you too.
Old 10th May 2014
Lives for gear
I am going to add myself to the list of folks that have no problem purchasing "B" stock. I can only recall one time where there was a physical defect on an item (small scratch on top of rackable gear). The rest, as far as I could tell were returned items in new condition. Great way to save money. Plus you get the same "new" warranty.
Old 10th May 2014
Lives for gear

I've done it with zero problems. Questions to ask vendor: Is the item in 100% perfect working condition? What exactly is the flaw?

It's usually just some minor cosmetic issue.
Old 11th May 2014
Gear Guru

I get B-stock all the time. It's rare that I can distinguish it from new.
Old 12th May 2014
I have to be in some kind of rush if I'm going to pay full price for something when B-Stock or Refurbs are available. Of course, if a particular product has a very steady supply of refurbished stock, do your due diligence and search Google for problems with that product. Years ago, I bought M-Audio av40s because there seemed to be a good deal on them. After two years, one of the capacitors exploded spectacularly, rendering the amplifier circuit useless. I considered replacing the damaged components, but decided it was time to grow up and spend some coin on real monitors.

Which, of course, I bought used, saving a couple hundred bucks in the process.
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

My advice is "NEVER" buy new. Buy used, that way you can always sell and get your money back or more, and most importantly, you save a ton of cash.
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
True, lets see every Cheap DJ piece !
These were actually pricey boutique pieces. I honestly don't remember exactly which brands it was at this point (nor would I say even if I did), but some of the lines I dealt with had some growing pains when they first got going.

Quote:
Wife's boss was worried about a refurb IMAC, hey at least someone in the US checked it !
My Macbook Pro was a refurb and the only problems it's developed have nothing to do with it being a refurb - apparently the early 2011's were sorta lemons and had some persistent model-wide issues even if purchased new.
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatar View Post

My Macbook Pro was a refurb and the only problems it's developed have nothing to do with it being a refurb - apparently the early 2011's were sorta lemons and had some persistent model-wide issues even if purchased new.
I have been buying refurb MacBook pros for years. Never had a problem. I just got the last 15 inch release the other day and am typing this on a refurb 17 inch which has run problem free since 2011.
Old 13th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
My advice is "NEVER" buy new. Buy used, that way you can always sell and get your money back or more, and most importantly, you save a ton of cash.
When someone wants support on used gear..I gotta tell em to Call Ebay........
Old 13th May 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
I have been buying refurb MacBook pros for years. Never had a problem. I just got the last 15 inch release the other day and am typing this on a refurb 17 inch which has run problem free since 2011.
Just bought a refurb 13" airbook. Hope I have the same story....
Old 13th May 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
When someone wants support on used gear..I gotta tell em to Call Ebay........

There are a few things that I want to buy new or DIY myself, but overall, building my studios with used gear has given great bang for the buck and worked out very well for me Doc. It's all good though, because there are many things I can't find in an appropriate amount of time or am not comfortable buying used. To each their own.
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
My issues are related to the secondary graphics chip and the fan noise. The system fans are crazy loud and have been since day one. A moderate load or any sort of video is enough to send them screaming, and now the graphics chip is starting to exhibit some occasional artifacting when on batter power. After looking into these problems, they seem to be pretty common with this particular model (though others before and after it seem to be fine). From what I've seen on the interwebz, the artifacting started becoming an issue in October, with more and ore people reporting it since then. I first noticed it about a week ago.

But again, those have nothing to do with it being a refurb. The early 2011 models just had some problems.

-Dan.
Old 26th May 2014
Happy with my Focals so far. Big step up from my A7's.
Old 12th May 2019
Here for the gear

A reputable store from Germany sent me opened KRK monitor boxes as new, twice. While I specifically asked for non-costumer returns in advance. I am still wonderng why the manufacturer seal was broken each time. Do shops check items before they ship em out? Where they factorey repackaged b-stock?
The model is sold out everywhere. But Thomann guaranteed me they stilll have lots of the particular model. What could be wrong?

The helpdesk also told me they have no control. Over if I would get a opened box or not. Worthless..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search