The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo channel strip for tracking and mix bus sweetening Single-Channel Preamps
Old 6th May 2014
Gear Nut

Stereo channel strip for tracking and mix bus sweetening

Is there such a beast

I am looking for a Class A/High end/Sounds very good Stereo Device that offers a pre-amp, EQ section and a Compressor.

I want to use it for tracking mainly acoustic guitar, Electric Guitar and Vocals for my own music witch i could loosely describe as "indie folk"
the second use is for Mix Bus duties, i mix entirely ITB and want to add a hardware Class A EQ and Comp on my master bus

Is There such a box? buying a comp and an eq and a pre could be very costy
if there's a good sounding box that offers all this at a lower price i'd be happy to hear. Two mono units can work as well.

Not stating a price limit since i am looking for that Pro league device

Here's my latest recording and mixing effort in Hebrew but you can get the feel i guess

www.oranzil.bandcamp.com

Thanks
Old 8th May 2014
Lives for gear

Hmmm...there are some units out there that do what you are asking for, but for your needs (tracking and bus duties) you might be better off getting separate units for each need since your compressor, EQ and preamp will all need to fit your tastes. What if you find the perfect EQ but hate the compressor in it? Or love the compressor but hate the preamp? You might be happier in the long run by getting a preamp first that can also accept line level signals, trying it out, then moving on to a compressor or EQ once you have an idea of the style you really want. Your setup will be more versatile in the long run...at least that is my thinking on the matter.
Old 9th May 2014
Gear Head

Just got two of those

http://rupertneve.com/products/portico-ii/

Using them just like you, tracking and on the twobus.
Couldn't be happier.
Old 9th May 2014
I 2nd the recommendation to go with two mono channel strips. The Buzz Audio ARC sounds amazing, and is extremely flexible also (each component can be utilized separately with its in and outs). If that's out of budget a pair of the newly Manley Cores would get you a lot of mileage for most any situation (I haven't heard them yet, but they look to be a combination of Manley tube and Langevin solid state components so I'm confident it will be great). Manley is still filling backorders on these so probably another month or so for fulfillment.
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

I'd second the Manley Core. Looks and sounds the biz with that triode vacuum tube and 300 volt power rating.

This is going to be my new front end. Got one on order.

I am expecting delivery within the next half hour of my new Drawmer 1973 stereo FET 3 band compressor which also should be good on the 2 buss.

Will let you know my thoughts after the weekend.

Cheers
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendyamps View Post
Hmmm...there are some units out there that do what you are asking for, but for your needs (tracking and bus duties) you might be better off getting separate units for each need since your compressor, EQ and preamp will all need to fit your tastes. What if you find the perfect EQ but hate the compressor in it? Or love the compressor but hate the preamp? You might be happier in the long run by getting a preamp first that can also accept line level signals, trying it out, then moving on to a compressor or EQ once you have an idea of the style you really want. Your setup will be more versatile in the long run...at least that is my thinking on the matter.
Second that - maybe a nice API 500 box with a nice selection of comp/EQ/preamps?
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

for this application the rascal audio twin v would be perfect. Tone for days - such a shaper.
Old 9th May 2014
Gear Nut

phoenix drs4 pre + eq
whatever comp flavor you like

thats my route, but fink has an interesting all in one box, but the comp might not have best uses on mix bus
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

2 Focusrite isa 430 would give you that workflow. They are out of fashion on GS but very capable units.
Old 9th May 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks for the suggestions

looking into it
that neve looks promising

thanks again
Old 23rd May 2014
Lives for gear

Sounds like you should consider this beast.

Fink Analog Audio | Classic Circuits in Modern Products
Old 23rd May 2014
Gear Head

I have a Fink Audio CS2-FA. I use it for tracking just about anything - can be nice and clean or pushed into some lovely warm saturation or even nasty distortion for guitars or bass when you push the compressor hard. Pultec EQ section sounds great for boosting lows on a bass or adding presence to vocals. I haven't yet tried it on the mix bus yet, but I've heard it does wonders there.

When you think about the cost of getting 2x 610 style pres, 2x 1176s, and 2x Pultecs, all built in the US, the price ($3500) comes out surprisingly reasonable.

I read something somewhere about a successful library music composer who built himself a whole console out of these units, which should tell you something...
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Grace M103

I have two of the Grace M103s and they have a stereo link connection on the back for the compressors. They are amazing sounding channel strips that are at home with everything from a Blumlein ribbon stereo pair recording to 2 buss duties. Super musical and transparent compressors and the eq sounds great as well. Both designed by Fred Forsell.
Old 26th May 2014
Lives for gear

Get an API 6b, 2-512's, 2-550's, 2-525's.
Old 26th May 2014
Lives for gear

BAE 1023 + BAE 10DC = fantastic sound and mojo for days (1 pwr supply will power both units)
Eventually the Dave Hill Titan or a Dramastic Obsidian could be an option for a different (also "cleaner") presentation and/or needs.

In the 500 series: Avedis MA5 (with line pads when in mixing mode), Avedis E27 eq, Crane Song Falcon (eventually you could get a Dramastic Obsidian 500 or an AML 5450 instead of the Falcon).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 2nd June 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks again

all option are considered
this purchase won't happen in the near future
but hopefully only a short while after

Cheers
Old 2nd June 2014
Gear Addict

re

Dont forget daking..
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Portico 2 was the first thing to come to my mind. Can't think of anything a pair wouldn't be fun on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search