The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kick Drum Out Microphone
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

RE-20s are good in this application. The Violet Globe Vintage is quite good too. And if you can find an AKG D25 in good shape...
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
The Violet Globe Vintage is quite good too.
+1!
Sorry for the shameless plug.. but I have one for sale in the classifieds.. great mic indeed!
(and fwiw below my avatar there's a link to some reviews I wrote, one of them is aboht the Globe Vintage too..).

Cheu
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Agree , but do they sound right…… Not sure……...
Right is highly subjective, along with taste and context. Yes, you're right

I've used the following - U47fets, U87's, D12's, D112's, 421's, Km 84's, KU4's, Re 20's, 4038's, and DIY sub kicks. They all sound good, I prefer (this month) the RE20. I'm sure next month it will change to something else.

Good luck!!
Old 2nd May 2014
Soundelux or Bock U195 works great.
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear Addict

Do people tend to opt for condensers on FOK, or dynamics? I usually go with a dynamic in and a condenser out.
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear Maniac
if you have access to the Beyer MC840 go with that one for kick out, it works swell. While you're at it stick the M160 on HH.

edit: it might have been the mc740 that I had used, I keep getting confused with those model #s
Old 3rd May 2014
Gear Nut

I use nothing but an SM58 or SM7B on Kick Out. I do a mix of rock, pop, blues and country. It's just not something I spend a lot of time thinking about.

If I was recording a jazz kit then yes I'd probably go for a tube LDC (Rode Classic Mk1 for me) but with rock I crush the s*** out of it anyway so I don't bother.
Old 3rd May 2014
Gear Guru

Bock Ifet.
I prefer it to the fet47.
sounds huge.
sometimes I put a subkick next to it.
all the low end you'd ever want.
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
The search is over for a Kick drum Out mic.

Bock Audio IFET
+1
Old 3rd May 2014
Gear Head

I have on various projects used an AA CM48fet, 4047, M160, D12E and Mojave 201fet for the FOK position.

Of these, the ones I seem to come back to have been the AA CM48 and the 4047 with the CM48 being the most versatile.

Cheers
Glenn
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumantics View Post
I have on various projects used an AA CM48fet, 4047, M160, D12E and Mojave 201fet for the FOK position.

Of these, the ones I seem to come back to have been the AA CM48 and the 4047 with the CM48 being the most versatile.

Cheers
Glenn
What made you choose the CM48fet over the CM47Fet?
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
What made you choose the CM48fet over the CM47Fet?
Same here, cm48 is awesome for sure. I'll be honest, I'm not really a kick out guy. I personally prefer, for most situations, the combination of the Beta91 with a Beta 52, but if I need the sound of a kick in and out mic setup, the one I reach for right away is the cm48. Tough to beat.

As for the different between it and the 47fet...Dave's done a nice job of making them sound similar, however, the cm48 does actually have a k47 capsule in it where the cm47fet uses a k67 capsule an Dave just tunes it to capture like a 47 would.

Lastly, CJ1973, you had asked me which at4047 earlier. Sorry I'm just getting back to you. It was the cardioid only version. Back then when I tried it, the multi-pattern version did not even exist if I'm not mistaken.
Old 3rd May 2014
Gear Head

There almost isn't a microphone that won't work for this application. Lo-fi crystal type microphones probably not the best, and ribbons could be damaged, but pretty much any decent condenser or dynamic mic will be fine. If it's too boomy you can move it closer to the edge, too much low mids and move it back to the centre. If there's a hole in the front head you can put it in front of that for a little more attack. You seriously don't need to go out and buy a super-expensive mic for this - just use whatever you have lying around. I've used FETs, valve 47s, 87s, 414s, RE20s, 421s, RODEs and god knows what else. A poster above mentioned 57s and 58s, and I once saw a guy put a KM84 on the outside of the bass drum - it all sounds fine.

The NS10 cone is a bit of a special case - I think the resonance of the cone probably contributes more to the sound than the bass drum itself so you tend to get a very consistent sound which can be tricky to blend well with your other microphones. Modern pop/rock mixes tend to not be as focused on the kick out mic as they were, say, five or ten years ago, and as that trend's gone on, fewer and fewer engineers are using NS10 comes on the bass drum. Who knows though, that sound could come back into vogue at any time - I'm keeping mine boxed up in the back of a cupboard until that day comes!
Old 3rd May 2014
I've always found the speaker on the bass drum deal to be for lack of a better word too slow sounding
Old 3rd May 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear is cool View Post
Right is highly subjective, along with taste and context. Yes, you're right

I've used the following - U47fets, U87's, D12's, D112's, 421's, Km 84's, KU4's, Re 20's, 4038's, and DIY sub kicks. They all sound good, I prefer (this month) the RE20. I'm sure next month it will change to something else.

Good luck!!
Basically this.
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Addict

We use a Wunder 47 FET (which kicks serious ass) and a Subkick. Add a kick inside mic and you have kick options for days...

Dave/Suspect Studios
Old 6th May 2014
Gear Addict

I also have had great success with a Lundahl-modded Fathead II
Old 6th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubehead View Post
AKG 414 BULS is fantastic for this and you can find them used for less than a grand. Take tons of spl with 20db pad and has a great punchy low end.
Agreed.
I most often use FET 47, but AKG 414 BULS works well too.
Old 6th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Even an old D12 can be a great outside kick mic.
This ^ is my favourite.
Old 6th May 2014
I've been using a Yamaha Subkick now for about two months. I'm usually recording a big Ludwig kit and could never capture the low end of the kick I heard in the room. The Subkick captures that.

I combine it with an RE20 or Beyerdynamic M88 to get the snap. I have a D6 which works as well, but is so processed. Since adding the subkick I really don't add as much low end when mixing.

I got mine for under $300 and feel like it's worth it. I record mostly rock so I've used it on every session since purchasing.

I am fan. I've never used a U47fet or a U87 on kick so I can't comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
I am looking for options for a Kick Drum Out microphone. I hear the U47FET is the way to go, but that's out of my budget.
Is there a cheaper alternative?
Also, would a Yamaha Subkick do the trick or would that just pick up Sub and not the 'Room' that comes with a U47?
I use an MD421 or M88 for the inside.
Thank you!
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Goodin View Post
I've been using a Yamaha Subkick now for about two months. I'm usually recording a big Ludwig kit and could never capture the low end of the kick I heard in the room. The Subkick captures that.

I combine it with an RE20 or Beyerdynamic M88 to get the snap. I have a D6 which works as well, but is so processed. Since adding the subkick I really don't add as much low end when mixing.

I got mine for under $300 and feel like it's worth it. I record mostly rock so I've used it on every session since purchasing.

I am fan. I've never used a U47fet or a U87 on kick so I can't comment on that.

I made a DIY sub kick here, the speaker came out of a old Alesis monitor. I use a 35 db pad, it sounds perfect blended with the other kick mics. It's held by a snare stand. It cost pretty much nothing, it's about the only thing around here that cost nothing
Old 7th May 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballandbiscuit View Post
There almost isn't a microphone that won't work for this application.
There is a lot of truth to this.

I do tend to favor LDCs and my first choice is the Bock 195, but if that mic is busy elsewhere, plenty of other mics seem to fill the bill. Sometimes even an old Shure 55 "Elvis" mic.

I have a Yamaha subkick, but I don't use it as my Kick Drum Out microphone. I will use it in addition to my Kick Drum Out microphone.
Old 8th May 2014
Here for the gear

I have three suggestions:

First: the Wunder CM7 FET. It's similar to the Bock, but I prefer the sound of the Wunder. If you're after the 47FET sound, this mic will definitely deliver and it goes for less than $2k.

Second: the Avenson STO-2. If the bass drum you're tracking sounds great on its own, the STO-2 can be a great solution. Also, since it's an omni, there's no proximity effect, so you can really play with the positioning ... putting it right up next to the head will allow you to capture a ton of the head's resonance without the overwhelming "boom" you'd get from a cardioid mic; pulling it back just a little will bring down the head resonance and really allow the sound of the shell and the room to come through. Note, this mic works equally as well on the beater side—putting it right up near the beater will capture a ton of attack. Good news: their sold in pairs for less than $600.

And third is actually two mics: the Heil PR40 and the Audix i5. Get them as close as possible without actually touching (to combat phase issues), face them so the front grilles are parallel to the drum head, and align the diaphragms so they're on the same vertical plane. The PR40 bottoms out at 28Hz and the i5 bottoms out at 50Hz, so this combo captures but doesn't hype the sub-bass (lets say 20Hz to 90Hz). Furthermore, the frequency curves rise some in the low-mids (lets say 95Hz to 200Hz) to allow those to come through really clearly. As such using this setup can work really well if you're intending to mix the kick in a track with other low frequency instruments that might have a hard time competing in the sub 100Hz zone (acoustic upright bass, clean electric bass, certain synths, etc.).
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Scoop up the last Bock 195 at Sweetwater and save $800 over the ifet. I have one and seems like just the thing on kick.
Old 14th May 2014
I like to use Dynamics for outside kick rather than LDC because you get less overall kit bleed ad less issues with phase. Best mic in my locker on outside kick was Heil PR-40. It actually has some of the zing of a LDC as well. I like D6 inside and PR-40 outside. I put the PR-40 in the lower left quadrant of the BD and love the tone there better than center or near the sound hole. Try it. The closer you get to the rim the less boom you get (unless you want boom). I put it about 3" away (closer than most guys probably). My 2 cents.
Old 14th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgeorge View Post
...outside kick was Heil PR-40. ... I put it about 3" away (closer than most guys probably). My 2 cents.
Yes, that is very close. But if it works, it works! Could you share a sample recording by any chance?
Old 15th May 2014
Lives for gear

My personal faves are:

FET47
Sony C800
SE T2
Groove Tubes 6TM
D25
Ball and Biscuit
Naked Eye

All do different things and I often run T2 in, C800 out and Ball and Biscuit a little further out.
Old 16th May 2014
I use an AKG D112 on the outside and a Sennheiser E901 on the inside! Works very well for me!

Listen for yourself:
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

U47fet, always
Re20 or wsw d12 on in
Pzm
Ns10 sub

Then replace everything with a sample while mixing

Fun times
Old 17th May 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear is cool View Post
Almost every mic works for this application.
Ha.
Pretty true to my experience as well ... a lot of cool options are too easily overlooked.
Has anyone heard an old groove tube md3a outside a kick?? Yikes!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search