The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AWS 900 + SE questions
Old 28th April 2014
Gear Nut

AWS 900 + SE questions

Hi
I've just bought a used AWS 900 + SE console and have a couple of questions.
I'm on Mac Pro, OSX Mavericks, DAW - Logic X.

1. Internet connection.
I connect to the internet via Wifi and the console via Ethernet.
While the console connected to the computer I can't manage to get online.
It's either the Ethernet or Wifi. When the wifi is on the console disconnect itself.
is there a way to make them work together?

2. Metering on DAW Mode.
On the meter bridge, I can only see the left side of each channel, even on Stereo channels.
is there a way to meter a stereo channel coming from the DAW?

Thanks guys !
Old 28th April 2014
Gear Nut

Anyone??
Old 29th April 2014
Gear Nut

Hi

At the SSL FAQ ( Solid State Logic | Support | AWS ) there is advice on having internet and DAW control. Do some searches on Internet and you will see something.

Hope this helps

George
Old 29th April 2014
Lives for gear

You can't have internet and the console working on the same computer at the same time without an additional router From SSL.
Old 30th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
You can't have internet and the console working on the same computer at the same time without an additional router From SSL.
The question is why.
I never got that. And I'm a Cisco certified network engineer.
I own an AWS900 myself.

As for the stereo metering, it just works on my desk. Not sure what might be the problem there.
Old 30th April 2014
Gear Nut

@Kosmokrator do you work in Logic?
I spoke to someone from SSL and he told me that stereo metering only works in protools.
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davideo View Post
@Kosmokrator do you work in Logic?
I spoke to someone from SSL and he told me that stereo metering only works in protools.
Ah, sorry, missed the part that you're on Logic. Yes, I'm using PTHD.
Old 2nd May 2014
H89
Gear Nut

The default IP address for the AWS is 192.168.1.2. If you are using that address on your wifi network then it will conflict when you try to connect both networks at the same time and will kill the AWS connection to your Mac. Make sure no other device is using the 192.168.1.2 ip on your wifi network and or setup a dhcp exclusion for it not to be assigned etc. or go into AWS console terminal login (requires a serial null modem connection I believe) and change the ip addressing there to something that is open.

Or You could change the private ip addressing scheme of your wifi network to say 10.10.10.x and then set up static routes and gateway addresses so that both can be used at the same time. It's a pain, but it does work with AWS 948. I doubt there is any difference.
Old 2nd May 2014
I don't have my AWS anymore, but I had no issues with this. I just used a gigabit hub/switch to connect my computer and console to the network. There weren't really any special settings to use. It just worked. Router address was 192.168.1.1, and I think I set the ssl to 192.168.1.100. I had internet for the computer, and the console worked perfectly.
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks guys! I'll try these options

Edit:
I've just bought a simple network switch and the problem is solved!
Old 16th April 2015
Here for the gear

HEY BRO! i own a AWS and it took me forever to figure out but, what happens i the wifi and the ethernet conflicts and the computer doesn't know which one to choose. Keep wifi off, get an ethernet cable from your internet and buy a ethernet switch, the put the console into the ethernet switch then plug from the switch to the computer. It will automatically switch between AWS and internet. Only way to get both working flawless with the HUI. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davideo View Post
Hi
I've just bought a used AWS 900 + SE console and have a couple of questions.
I'm on Mac Pro, OSX Mavericks, DAW - Logic X.

1. Internet connection.
I connect to the internet via Wifi and the console via Ethernet.
While the console connected to the computer I can't manage to get online.
It's either the Ethernet or Wifi. When the wifi is on the console disconnect itself.
is there a way to make them work together?

2. Metering on DAW Mode.
On the meter bridge, I can only see the left side of each channel, even on Stereo channels.
is there a way to meter a stereo channel coming from the DAW?

Thanks guys !
Old 16th April 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17hertzceo View Post
HEY BRO! i own a AWS and it took me forever to figure out but, what happens i the wifi and the ethernet conflicts and the computer doesn't know which one to choose. Keep wifi off, get an ethernet cable from your internet and buy a ethernet switch, the put the console into the ethernet switch then plug from the switch to the computer. It will automatically switch between AWS and internet. Only way to get both working flawless with the HUI. Hope this helps!
Thanks, that's exactly what I've done a few month ago
Old 17th April 2015
Lives for gear

actually you can- you just have to use an assigned TCP/IP and set it up in your 'Locations' prefs.

It is easier if you use the SSL switch too. I did and it's easier to deal with.
Old 12th January 2017
HI!!! AWS owner here.....I'm having some issue with my AWS and Sonar.....
The strange thing is that the delta browser communicate without problem, the pc and the aws ping smoothly but Sonar can't connect to the aws...(I did the correct settings because before the change of the router they works very well)
another question is: is it normal that my router can't see the AWS in the clients list???
let me know if you have advice for my situation...
many thanks
Old 9th March 2017
Here for the gear

(Aws 948 + mac pro )= connection querks

As soon as the ethernet cable is popped in
It says another device is usin your computers ip(192.168.1.2)
This happens even when there are no other network services and everything else other than ethernet (with manual ip and subnet) is deleted from the network services.
Sometimes the console remote app displays that the console is online
But "disk" remains blank
Its only rarely and for lack of understanding that sometimes its online and solid n runs like a dream with pt11

Some one here suggested a network switch
And someone said something about dhcp exclusions .
Is there a surefire way
I dont wanna use wifi/internet on my mac pro. Only network conn is ethernet to ssl.

How do i get rid of the annoying "other device usin comp ip" message so that the console comes online.

Please help
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Put the console into fixed ip address mode, then get out the user manual and follow the instructions to the letter. Reboot the console and computer and you should be fine, if not the one thing I have noticed is that most people with this problem have the wrong version of Java os runtime installed. And this causes IPmidi to fail.

Have you downgraded your Java runtime, and installed IPmidi ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search