The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone try out a Manley Core yet? Condenser Microphones
Old 25th April 2014
Anyone try out a Manley Core yet?

Has anyone yet tried the new Manley Core? It looks to be one of the best channel strips out there with a lighter price tag.
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Nut

probably no one really has good time with it since it hasn't been released yet.
they are expecting to ship out at the end of May.
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

I'm interested to hear some reviews on this as well.
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

Been doing a bit of research on this one myself.

Seems to be a fully featured channel strip with little compromise.

For around 2 grand an affordable pedigree.

Also checked out Lindell Audio 17xs and 18 xs.

These two can do same at around 200 bucks cheaper.

Another one I stumbled across yesterday was the SafeSoundAudio Tracking Toolbox.

At this stage of my life I have a few nice outboard pieces but I intend investing in something better that I can use in the years to come.

Then again if you add a Tonebeast and a wa76 limiter you also have a pretty good front end and still have some change.

Cheers
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear
But then again you would not have a Manley if you had those other items.
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

Nah..... My heart is on the Manley Core.

I think it will have everything I need/want in a channel strip.

Cheers
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear
Go for the Manley Core. That is my point. That recommendation is coming from someone who has a lot of Manley gear.
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks Waldie,

Just waiting for those units to ship and I know I will be a happy camper.

Cheers
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear
You are most welcome Nickknack. Once get a Manley you will be in for the long haul. It is like joining the mob. You can never leave. You are a member for life. Manley make superb stuff. You will never encounter a scratchy pot with their gear. It is superbly made. I have some Manley gear that is 18 years old and it looks and sounds brand new. The Core looks fantastic. Please let me know your thoughts and I am thinking of getting one myself to add to the collection.
Old 11th July 2014
I've been drooling over the Manley Core too. I've tried the Voxbox, hoping to make the Core my first Manley gear purchase.
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear
I've spent some time tracking and mixing with the Core, let me know if you have any specific questions. Mini review - love it.
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Nah..... My heart is on the Manley Core.

I think it will have everything I need/want in a channel strip.

Cheers
Will it have individual inputs and outputs for each section of the unit if you ever decided you wanted to do things such as use the limiter on another source and bypassing the preamp? How about assigning the EQ to side chain the comp? What about selecting different frequencies for the high and low shelves?

As much as I love Manley gear this seems like a very limited feature set compared to other boxes out there in the same price range. When you start looking at used channel strips that can save you a ton of money off of what they cost new, I would think that for the $2K price of the new Core you could find something with a much broader feature set....

I would think looking at features things like an API channel strip ($1600 used) look better. An Avalon 737 ($1100-$1500 used) has more features and is still Class A preamp etc. A Focusrite ISA430 Mk2 ($1000 used). SSL SuperAnalogue Channel Strip ($1600 used)

Still, it is a Manley so it will most likely sound good as they don't make junk. My point is that for $2K there are a lot of other options out there that could blow it away for features.
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still, it is a Manley so it will most likely sound good as they don't make junk. My point is that for $2K there are a lot of other options out there that could blow it away for features.
Then hows about the Drawmer 1969 ME for size.

2 channels and stereo option and lots of tubes????

Got me thinking.

Cheers
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

Love the Drawmer stuff and while I have not used the 1969 I did own a Drawmer 1960 for about 10 years Much like Manley, Drawmer has the tube thing really sorted out and all of their tube stuff is fantastic. The 1960 is probably one of the closer boxes feature wise to the Manley Core except that it is a two channel unit. One thing I always found with the 1960 was that about 80% of the time I was blown away by how active even the most basic of its controls were and how I rarely ever felt myself wanting for more attack settings on the comp, more character from the DI, or anything. It is a great box that just works awesome. I would own another one in a heartbeat if I wasn't already spending tens of thousands of dollars right now on building my new facility! The usually sell for about $900-$1100 used on Ebay.
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
Love the Drawmer stuff and while I have not used the 1969 I did own a Drawmer 1960 for about 10 years Much like Manley, Drawmer has the tube thing really sorted out and all of their tube stuff is fantastic. The 1960 is probably one of the closer boxes feature wise to the Manley Core except that it is a two channel unit. One thing I always found with the 1960 was that about 80% of the time I was blown away by how active even the most basic of its controls were and how I rarely ever felt myself wanting for more attack settings on the comp, more character from the DI, or anything. It is a great box that just works awesome. I would own another one in a heartbeat if I wasn't already spending tens of thousands of dollars right now on building my new facility! The usually sell for about $900-$1100 used on Ebay.
Interesting you say that about the Drawmer 1960!

I've used both the 1960 and the 1968ME Edition and to me the difference is huge on the J-fet, Tube output on the 1968ME, compared to the very famous almost 1st type channel strip unit 1960 Imo sounds very dark and sludge like unless eq'd, though if your into that dark vibe and sound. They certainly have their own tone those 1960 units, though against the 1968ME....those are 2 very different units.

The 1968ME or 1968KII has a very medium type impasse on the sound and when throwing gain on certain Sub Groups or Drum busses imparting the Tube Gain really makes those tracks fly into shape, I've even used it as a Buss Comp, at lower gain and tickled the VU's and it really imparts that certain tape sound. Not too dark, not wooly or too thick though just a lovely even tone.You can't lose having a Drawmer 1968ME or MII in your Audio arsenal, though I've yet to see one go on ebay for under 1200$ bucks this last 2 years! IMO a must have type Comp.
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for those last posts from Motoxxx and the last byte.

This has fortified my thoughts and intentions even more so.

I kinda feel like a traitor if I buy the Core after much thought but as I already own the Drawmer 1973 and like it on almost everything the 1969 ME is great value for around 2500 aud which gives you more tubes and that extra channel.

I know its good to have a few flavors in the arsenal but there is a reason while some companies are revered for what they have brought to the table in the last 25-30 years.

The difference between the 1960 and the 1969 ME is the addition of the Burr-Brown op amps and added tube stages to give what they call the sweeter American tone compared to the British sound of the 1960.

True stereo linking and both inspired by the Fairchild 670 are some other features not to be laughed at.

Anyone wish to chime in on the difference between British V American sounding compressors, eq 's and channel strips please do so or perhaps I can search a similar thread.

Cheers
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

Nicknack, I can tell you that when using an MCI 28 channel 500 series and an MCI/JH 24 Analog recorder in the early 90's the 1960 was... (apart from DIY Neve Strips) Around the only commercial Channel strip you could use for just about anything, (Until Focusrite) yes it's deep and thick though the 1968ME and 1969 are kind of different in their make up gain scenario, maybe as Dave Hill, Mercenary (Fletcher) and Ivor Drawmer all had a hand in these units they might be the best to ask them, though regarding Drawmer gear, I simply can't fault it from the DS201 Gates to the Dl241 Compressors and other gear, they are built like tanks and just will not F**king die, no matter how much crap is thrown at them. The fuse Drawmer chose to run them on is weird, though apart from that some units just seem to work Live or Recording.

I've also looked at the new Manley Core - though at the moment, I can almost feel it's been built as a Prosumer Design, and somewhat dumbed down from the stuff Manley usually make. I know that the GML line has either stopped or is in trouble (most likely the straightest wire devices made) to me that is a huge shame and will make all GML gear go up 50% ASAP S/H. The Manley EQP-1A's and Tube Pre's and Langevin gear to me is actually almost crucial, though again Manley have dropped the D.I as well as the Langevin Gear (EQP-1A's) so getting the passive stuff with no tube circuitry is becoming harder - I don't know if this has something to do with 500 series passive Eq's or what, though there does seem to be a trend happening here with 500 racks being filled and 19 inch racks slowly lagging behind? Still I'll be interested to see if the Manley Core is..........All that.....though doubt it, as it even to my eyes looks built Prosumer - Guess we'll see huh? as Far as US Vs UK Sounding stuff...... Hmmm that's a pretty huge call these days. More so as new boutique designs are coming out in their hundreds per year, just look at how many SSL type compressors there are now, a friend and I counted up to 28 units, from large OEMS and Boutique, that's pretty crazy! Buss comps for everyone I guess?
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

NickNack - you really should talk to Waldie regarding the high end Manley Gear, as he has a gigantic stash from memory a Manley Vari Mu, Manley Massive Passive (IIRC) and a few other High end units, and waldie certainly knows his stuff as well as having a great Tech!
Just a thought!
TLB
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

As much as I like the newer 500 series gear I have got this hangup about VU meters.

There is nothing sexier than seeing a VU being slammed or needle pinned while cranking that preamp or compression.

I'm staying with the 19 inch rack stuff.

Cheers
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
As much as I like the newer 500 series gear I have got this hangup about VU meters.

There is nothing sexier than seeing a VU being slammed or needle pinned while cranking that preamp or compression.

I'm staying with the 19 inch rack stuff.

Cheers
I totally agree 100 % and I also think that many numbers for 500 series stuff has been flummoxed. The Elysia 500 gear was noted by them as -5dB down in headroom on their 19 Inch rack gear.....I would say the same for a great deal of 500 stuff if it was never designed to be in a 1 x unit 500 size, why do people stuff the components that are for a 19" into a 500 size near in like a baby in a womb? Not much room to move save out fro m there!
Old 12th July 2014
Dunno about the 500 thing guys, my Obsidian and One LA sound damn good...
Old 12th July 2014
Also, a prosumer (whatever that means) piece by Manley, is going to be awfully damn good, don't you think? They're most likely going to sell as many of these as they can build!
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear
Nickknack. If you are after a great channel strip but don't mind getting one without tubes (and second hand) then one of my all time favourites is the AMEK CIB. The only issue with the CIB is that the EQ is before the compressor. That's not a big deal for me as I seldom have the compressor before EQ. Some folks out there don't like the compressor on the CIB but I think it is very useful. The preamp, filters and EQ are absolutely stellar on the CIB. You can get some very professional sounding results with the CIB. I love it.

PM me Nicknack if you have any questions about other Manley gear.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Interesting you say that about the Drawmer 1960!

I've used both the 1960 and the 1968ME Edition and to me the difference is huge on the J-fet, Tube output on the 1968ME, compared to the very famous almost 1st type channel strip unit 1960 Imo sounds very dark and sludge like unless eq'd, though if your into that dark vibe and sound. They certainly have their own tone those 1960 units, though against the 1968ME....those are 2 very different units.

The 1968ME or 1968KII has a very medium type impasse on the sound and when throwing gain on certain Sub Groups or Drum busses imparting the Tube Gain really makes those tracks fly into shape, I've even used it as a Buss Comp, at lower gain and tickled the VU's and it really imparts that certain tape sound. Not too dark, not wooly or too thick though just a lovely even tone.You can't lose having a Drawmer 1968ME or MII in your Audio arsenal, though I've yet to see one go on ebay for under 1200$ bucks this last 2 years! IMO a must have type Comp.
I have not used the 1968ME or the 1968KII but will agree with you about somewhat of a darker tone. However even with a darker tone, I found it was always a very cool flavor. Darker tone does not mean bad by any means. I mostly used my old 1960 on heavy guitars and bass and sometimes on drum bus but always found the tubiness (should be in the dictionary!) to be very nice. Now that I think about it, for vocals I did only use the 1960 mostly on slower songs. It worked awesome for that. It wasn't nearly as good on more aggressive type of vox.

Drawmer stuff is built like a tank and when I was a full time touring guy I used the DS201, and DS241 endlessly and never had a failure. I still have 3 of the DS201s in my set up.

I also agree with TheLastByte about the Core looking to be more of a Prosumer type of a box that will be good, but more geared for the Guitar Center customer I think than the full time Pro studio guys.

I also agree with the Amek CIB. Love all of the Amek stuff.

And one last thing......19" rack stuff all the way! I love big racks!
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I've also looked at the new Manley Core - though at the moment, I can almost feel it's been built as a Prosumer Design, and somewhat dumbed down from the stuff Manley usually make. I know that the GML line has either stopped or is in trouble (most likely the straightest wire devices made) to me that is a huge shame and will make all GML gear go up 50% ASAP S/H. The Manley EQP-1A's and Tube Pre's and Langevin gear to me is actually almost crucial, though again Manley have dropped the D.I as well as the Langevin Gear (EQP-1A's) so getting the passive stuff with no tube circuitry is becoming harder - I don't know if this has something to do with 500 series passive Eq's or what, though there does seem to be a trend happening here with 500 racks being filled and 19 inch racks slowly lagging behind? Still I'll be interested to see if the Manley Core is..........All that.....though doubt it, as it even to my eyes looks built Prosumer - Guess we'll see huh?
I've done quite a bit of recording with the Core and some line level processing too, there's nothing "Prosumer" about the sound. The mic pre is excellent and I say that as the owner of a GML 8304 and former owner of a Manley Dual Mono mic pre.

The simplified feature set is deliberate and a great deal of thought went into making it as intuitive a tracking machine as possible, the Opto compressor section is fantastic and almost impossible to make sound bad.

Manley haven't stopped making their classic pieces, this is an addition to the range. The pics don't quite capture how it looks in real life.
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
this is an addition to the range. The pics don't quite capture how it looks in real life.
I'm sure Pictures are supposed to do that, though sad they haven't in this case! So they have been released in the USA then? Interesting, certainly at the price point, it does seem to differ in the Manley line up - nothing wrong with that, and Manley have deleted a few older Lang and other items of late! Guess we shall see! Your a obvious Fan Boi though?

TLB
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm sure Pictures are supposed to do that, though sad they haven't in this case!
The pics online aren't bad but it's definitely prettier in real life, very much in keeping with the existing Manley stuff.

Quote:
So they have been released in the USA then?
Some units have shipped and they are ramping up production.

Quote:
Interesting, certainly at the price point, it does seem to differ in the Manley line up - nothing wrong with that, and Manley have deleted a few older Lang and other items of late!
Sure, it's designed to be more affordable. Things like inductors in the EQ and extra tube stages add to the final cost of the classic Manley stuff. I think the choices they've made work well.

Quote:
Guess we shall see! Your a obvious Fan Boi though?
Fan Boi? I liked it a lot and I've used nearly all of the classic Manley gear over the years. Give it a listen when you get a chance and make up your own mind.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
The pics online aren't bad but it's definitely prettier in real life, very much in keeping with the existing Manley stuff. Some units have shipped and they are ramping up production. Sure, it's designed to be more affordable. Things like inductors in the EQ and extra tube stages add to the final cost of the classic Manley stuff. I think the choices they've made work well Fan Boi? I liked it a lot and I've used nearly all of the classic Manley gear over the years. Give it a listen when you get a chance and make up your own mind.
Well.....This Unit is certainly on "My To Test" ASAP List. I Hope they (Manley) start shipping O.S sooner rather then Later!

TLB.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

I got an email from EveAnna Manley about 2 weeks ago and she said that about 300 were being assembled then
so I should expect them to be hitting stores within weeks.

Since then I went from wanting the Core real bad to buying the 1969 ME.

Looks like I'll have to put that purchase down to impatience and timing.

Will check out the reviews and see where my hunger goes from there.

Cheers
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

I beta tested the prototype last year, and just had the production model for a couple of weeks. It's amazing. So incredibly clean and quiet. I love the characteristics of both the compressor and the limiter. The EQ is extremely musical. I was recording Steve Vai's bass player direct through the thing, and he was freaking out, saying he's never heard a DI sound so good.

Dave Collins designed it, and totally hit it out of the park. Having him on the design team is actually making their new products even better than previous products, if you can believe it. He's not just a genius, but he has really great ears.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search