The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Tone Control - Stereo matched pair? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 24th April 2014
  #1
Lives for gear
 
akai612's Avatar
 

Chandler Tone Control - Stereo matched pair?

I'm about to buy 2 Chandler Tone Control EQ's for masterbus work. Do they need to be specially calibrated for that purpose? I'm planning to buy 2nd hand units.

Thanks for advice!
CarL
Old 24th April 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
AllBread's Avatar
 

I'd make a quick call or send a quick email to the fine folks at Chandler who are extremely helpful. My feeling is that with Chandler's build quality and the components used any two are going to sound pretty much the same so it depends on how close you really need them to be - if you want them to be exactly the same then you probably will have to send them to them so that they can find caps and resistors of the exact same values (if +/- a few percent isn't good enough for you). They're solid state so you don't have to worry about finding two tubes with the exact same response which is often (I assume) the harder part about matching two pieces of gear.

Basically, if it was me, I'd just use them in stereo and not worry about them being perfectly matched. If you don't hear any difference then neither will anyone else (I know that my two ears don't share the same frequency response)!
Old 25th April 2014
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Helge's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
I'd make a quick call or send a quick email to the fine folks at Chandler who are extremely helpful.
+1

but if it helps - my two units are 324 Serialnumbers apart and are spot on.
My hammer stereo eq is way more off....
Old 25th April 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
akai612's Avatar
 

Thank you guys...very helpful...
Old 25th April 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Hi
The pots will be the source of the largest 'differences' between the 2 units and the effect of these would be greater at higher levels of cut or boost. Levels you can 'trim' yourself by putting a constant tone through the units and adjust the pots to suit. You could also do 'spot checks' at various frequencies if you wish to ensure both units are doing the same thing. It may take a couple of minutes to do but then you would know how they respond.
I was asked to 'match' a twin comp (I think) and it required buying about 10 pots and hand measuring all of them to find a couple that were as close as possible, bearing in mind that these components are typically 20 percent tolerance.
Matt S
Old 25th April 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 
akai612's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
The pots will be the source of the largest 'differences' between the 2 units and the effect of these would be greater at higher levels of cut or boost. Levels you can 'trim' yourself by putting a constant tone through the units and adjust the pots to suit. You could also do 'spot checks' at various frequencies if you wish to ensure both units are doing the same thing. It may take a couple of minutes to do but then you would know how they respond.
I was asked to 'match' a twin comp (I think) and it required buying about 10 pots and hand measuring all of them to find a couple that were as close as possible, bearing in mind that these components are typically 20 percent tolerance.
Matt S
Thank you Sir, much appreciated!
Old 8th May 2014
  #7
Gear Nut
 

What are your thoughts on/motivation for running these on the master bus?
Old 27th August 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 
akai612's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwdd View Post
What are your thoughts on/motivation for running these on the master bus?
just to add that kind of color before the print...
Old 2nd May 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 
matskull's Avatar
 

Did you get them?
I'm thinking of buying a second one eventually to use on a bus.
Old 2nd May 2015
  #10
Lives for gear
 
akai612's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Did you get them?
I'm thinking of buying a second one eventually to use on a bus.
nope, got 2 Purple TAV for that purpose and convinced I made the right choice...
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump