The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avalon 2055 vs. 2077?
Old 30th September 2002
Here for the gear

Avalon 2055 vs. 2077?

Was perusing the archives here and noticed some positive chatter re: the Avalon 2077 EQ.

Can anyone expand on the sonic diff's I might expect comparing a 2077 to my Avalon 2055? I've had my 2055 for about 6 months now and frankly I am wishing I'd popped for the Manley Massive Passive instead. The Avalon sounds pretty good on most things and very good on a few things........but it just doesn't have the Manley "sweetness" to it, especially on the top. (I am comparing it not to the Massivo, but to the EQ sections in my two VoxBoxes.) There is just something about the Avalon that sounds "smaller" than the Manley, more surgical and less musical. The Manley sounds much more forgiving especially with more extreme boost/cut.... it really begs you to turn those knobs. The other thing is that the build quality on the Avalon isn't knocking me out, it had a couple of wiggly knobs on it out of the box and the whole front panel felt less solid and "pro" than my other high-end stuff..... not a good sign for a $3500 box.

So now I'm reading nice comments here about the 2077 and wondering if it's worth checking out, or if it's gonna be more of the same as the 2055. I did some digging on the Avalon website and the 2077 does LOOK substantially different...... but who really knows?

Thoughts?
Old 30th September 2002
The Avalon 2077 is bigger sounding than the 2055. It is also a mastering EQ and hence forth its double the price(repeatable settings, better electronics). If I were you i would keep the 2055(it is good on vocals and bass) and save the extra dough and buy a Massive Passive. While the Massive is great, it is still not the "be all EQ". It has its pluses and its minuses. I've seen them used lately for around $2500-$3000. I would never sell mine(I use it all the time), but a friend bought one and hated it. He thought he was getting a Pultec, but what he got in return was something more transparent. He sold it in a couple of weeks. Like they say, let your ears be the guide not just people's opinions. Every one here leans more to a certain line. Some guys like color(Wiggy), while others like transparency(Eldred). You have to figure out where you lean the most. You might buy the Massive and it still might not be enough of what you are looking for.
Old 30th September 2002
member no 666

We have a client, a mastering house, that has a 2077. I had a project mastered there, and was overall liking the outcome. At one point I made a comment on the how the bottom sounded, one thing led to another and I sent down a "massive passive" for the project.

It never came back. Seems there were enough positive differences that this particular mastering house felt they were warranted in keeping both units.

The last time I was down there, both equalizers came up on the patchbay, both were in the racks, and according to the mastering engineer, both were in constant use.

As for the difference between the 2055 and the 2077... it's much like the difference between the GML 8200 and the GML 9500. The 8200 sounds great, the 9500 unbelievable. The 9500 has an extended frequency range, the ability to be fully reset, overall it's like taking a very fine automobile, and making it a racing version.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of the units I've mentioned above, it's only a question of your tastes, your requirements, and your budget limitations.

Best of luck
Old 30th September 2002
Gear Addict

well, i have an avalon ad 2077 and i just love it. i also have a massivo and a gml 8200 and i love them both too. they do sound different and compliment each other very good. i had also used ad 2055 quite extensively for mixing. to me, comparing an ad 2077 to ad 2055 is, just like what fletcher said, "taking a very fine automobile, and making it a racing version."

get a test drive on a massivo, it is a totally different sounding eq than an ad 2055.
Old 30th September 2002
Lives for gear

Keep the 2055...add the Manley Massive...and check out the NSEQ-2...weve deliverd 3 2077's...and all added both the massive & NSEQ to their racks.
Old 1st October 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by MIKEHARRIS
Keep the 2055...add the Manley Massive....
Ahhh, the endless mantra of the true Gear Slut: must.....get.....MORE!!!!!

Thx 4 the comments guys. I do find the 2055 quite useful, I was just hoping for a bit more 'magic' for $3500, ya know? If the 2077 is truly DOUBLE the dosh, then it better be friggin' spectacular.

So what's the big deal with the NSEQ-2? I had an Origin in here for awhile and was seriously underwhelmed by the EQ section (same flavor as the NSEQ right?). Maybe 'neutral' is a positive term for some people... for me 'neutral' means bland and boring, and that's how I would describe the sound of the Millennia. Maybe it's just me.

At this point I think the Massivo will probably be the next thing I investigate.

Gracias a todos por todo!
Old 1st October 2002
Lives for gear

The 2077 is three times the price!!! & dont know why thee NSEQ-2 was added...but the customers bought the 2077 first..Massive second...and NSEQ after hearing it..and last. It surprised me also to learn that it was NOT preferred in the tube mode!!
Old 1st October 2002
Gear Addict

i had also used origin...and was very disappointed about it...well, may be it's just personal preference. for me, i would rather spend the money on other things. i haven't tried the nseq2, so can't say anything on that. but i would say that massivo + ad2055 is killer combination for your eq need.
Old 15th June 2008
OJS
Gear Maniac

I'd go for an IBIS. It beats both the MP and the AD2055 IMHO.
Old 15th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJS View Post
I'd go for an IBIS. It beats both the MP and the AD2055 IMHO.
Hopefully the poster decided. This thread is from 6 years ago.
Old 15th June 2008
OJS
Gear Maniac

heh

Missed that.......

And yes I hope he has decided by now.........
Old 14th March 2010
Lives for gear

2008 > 2010

I picked an Ibis EQ and now I am considering picking an Avalon 2055 or the Millenia Nseq2, which asks for the FForsell Mod Board.
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

I will probably buy a second IBIS EQ for M-S mastering or the new Millenis NSeq IV. But I still prefer the Ibis. I like the sound, the way it works, the colour buttons.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search