The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal Compressor 500 series 500 Series Dynamics
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

Vocal Compressor 500 series

HI guys, I need your advice!

I'm looking for a 500 series vocal compressor for male vocals,
Soul, R&B, Pop and Rap. The vocals are kind of middy, a peek in the high mids, not very deep. The chain so far is a U87 mic and an AML 1073 pre.

I want the sound to be as thick as possible yet clean.

I'm considering the Cranesong Falcon, the AML 54F50 compressor and the API 527. which one you reckon I should buy?

Any suggestions or info would be deeply appreciated!

Bless,
Pete
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

I'd consider the Serpent Chimera (LA 3A) or if you want super flexible and great sounding then the Great River PWM 501. I have both and love them.

I think all of your options are good.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Also check out the BAC 500 Comp. It's similar to the 1176, and would compliment that male vocal well. I use it all the time on similar vox.
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks! I've heard great things about the BAC 500 as well. Damnit tho, too much choice.. Thanks Dan also!
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

Anybody else wanna chime in?
Old 22nd April 2014
Am mid session right now but I'm gonna add both the AML and the BAC 500 to this thread in the next week:

500 series compressor fun
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks Trev!
Old 22nd April 2014
IGS Audio ONE LA.
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
IGS Audio ONE LA.
Haven't heard of this one before.. Looks sweet though.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Cranesong Falcon is great on vocals. The 527 is amazing on drums. Of the ones you mentioned those are the only two I have used. Go with the Falcon and you will be very happy.
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

I really want to try some of these out, most of these brands are too boutique to come by them in Amsterdam.. AML 54F50, Falcon, BAC 500, Chimera Serpent and IGS Audio One LA are all in the running at the mo. But I reeeeaaaallly wanna hear some of them.

Mind you the compressor is for "Male vocals, Soul, R&B, Pop and Rap. The vocals are kind of middy, a peek in the high mids, not very deep. The chain so far is a U87 mic and an AML 1073 pre."

I really appreciate all this feedback for a 'newbie' by the way!
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

check out the retro doublewide as well
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

I say Inward Brute
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

Damn you j2dafo, damn you Came across a vid on youtube Vintage King dude geeking out about it.. At this point I'm a dog chasing it's tail.. I need to try some of these out.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillster View Post
I really want to try some of these out, most of these brands are too boutique to come by them in Amsterdam.. AML 54F50, Falcon, BAC 500, Chimera Serpent and IGS Audio One LA are all in the running at the mo. But I reeeeaaaallly wanna hear some of them.

Mind you the compressor is for "Male vocals, Soul, R&B, Pop and Rap. The vocals are kind of middy, a peek in the high mids, not very deep. The chain so far is a U87 mic and an AML 1073 pre."

I really appreciate all this feedback for a 'newbie' by the way!
I cant imagine using a U87 on an already "middy" vocal. Ouch!

I know they're not super easy to come by, but try a C12, C800G or 251.
Much less robust midrange than a U87.
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post
I cant imagine using a U87 on an already "middy" vocal. Ouch!

I know they're not super easy to come by, but try a C12, C800G or 251.
Much less robust midrange than a U87.
I love the Telefunken C12, used it for a couple of songs. But actually maybe I'm failing in the description of the vocals. Because out of the 15 mics I tested, the U87 were best on these vocals. So maybe I should say thin vocals or twangy vocals instead.. Like Justin Timberlake thin..

Also, the 251 doesn't work as well as the U87 or the C12. The reason I prefer the U87 over the C12 is because despite the beautiful airy top you get with the C12 it doesn't have enough body. The U87 is kind of a boring mic, but a great all rounder which is needed, because it's singing as well as rapping which are both equally represented on the album.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

The Crane Song Falcon would be nice for this. But for thick vocals I would ALWAYS pick the 525 over the 527. In fact I would shoot out the falcon and the 525 and see which one suits you better.

The 525 is highly underrated. In my book it's one of the best vocal compressors out there no matter if 500 standard or not. API has really set a benchmark here comparable to the 550a.

It may be difficult to set up at times (use your ears!) but once you hit the sweet spot it sounds thick and creamy and wonderful!
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

Can't find any Chimera or Falcon demo's, though I hear great things about em. The AML audio I heard/saw demo'd on youtube is great as well as the Retro Doublewide. The BAC not so much to my ear..
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
The Crane Song Falcon would be nice for this. But for thick vocals I would ALWAYS pick the 525 over the 527. In fact I would shoot out the falcon and the 525 and see which one suits you better.

The 525 is highly underrated. In my book it's one of the best vocal compressors out there no matter if 500 standard or not. API has really set a benchmark here comparable to the 550a.

It may be difficult to set up at times (use your ears!) but once you hit the sweet spot it sounds thick and creamy and wonderful!
I'd already scratched the API's off my list, probably prematurely. Those I can demo pretty easily here..
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

The chimera is basically a La 3a in 500 series. So, if you've used a la3a then you will know the sound of the chimera. Great comp.
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

I haven't though, was trying to find samples of the LA3A couldn't fine any..

The API 525 and IGS ONE LA are lowest in cost. The Chimera, Falcon and 54F50 are still beckoning..
Old 22nd April 2014
I'm a big fan of the Rupert Neve 543. Works great after a 1073.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't though, was trying to find samples of the LA3A couldn't fine any..

The API 525 and IGS ONE LA are lowest in cost. The Chimera, Falcon and 54F50 are still beckoning..

I wonder if the Clipaltor a zen pro has samples?
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Crane Song Falcon, Retro Doublewide (and eventually the api 525, even if might be a hit or miss on vocals) gets my vote.. you should test them with your material in your place and then decide though..

Is 500 series mandatory?
If not I would try to audition a BAE 10DC if thick, creamy, polished, finished is what you're looking for.. IME really great on vocals (and also on just about anything imho).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 22nd April 2014
Gear Addict

the 525 is one of the best vocal compressor, not just in the 500 range...
in the entire compressor world.....
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

Thank you guys so much! Yes, the 500 is mandatory (the set up needs to stay mobile)
Old 22nd April 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

525 > 527 on vocals.As already stated, forget 500 series, this is one of the best vocal compressors out there.
Old 22nd April 2014
Here for the gear

I've got the 527 and tested the 525. The 527 does not really work on vocals, on drums it is magic. The 525 does work on vocals but keep in mind that it's a raw compressor which generates a hot/overdrive edge on vocals more suited for rap than soul. Some folks call that attitude, and though I liked it, I suggest that you demo it before you buy it.
Old 22nd April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post

Another vote for a 525. It's tied for my favorite with an LA2a.
Old 22nd April 2014
Quote:
Haven't heard of this one before.. Looks sweet though.
It's basically an LA-2a in 500 format (250v tube).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search