The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Questions about the SSL AWS 948??? - please ask DAW Software
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Any Questions about the SSL AWS 948??? - please ask

OK,

I thought in true Gearslutz tradition I would share my experience of this desk which I have now been using for a couple of years.

I have pushed it, tested it, BLIND tested it and even on occasion got the scope out.

I have had every component out of the chassis, a few times, replaced the power supply. And like a good woman I have both HATED and LOVED this desk at different points.

I thought I'd write some long winded review, but I really don't have time.

To get started - If you want HI-FI ……. DON'T engage the channel EQ's - these are not Millennia's. They are however firkin great for certain things, one being a 10/15bdb boost in E mode peking filter option on the low end at 60HTZ

The centre section is BEYOND AMAZING - want me to elaborate, please ask….

You always hear people say how good the DAW control is, but never really saying why…. I'll elaborate. Yes it is a standard HUI situation, BUT! the rotary controllers bellow the screen (used for internal computer / DAW plug in control )
are not only the smoothest, but also seem to have the best data interpolation going - I genuinely LOVE using them for EQ plug in control.
Also, being able to switch banks of 8 in and out is great……. for tracking, depending on the session, I can keep the left bank of 8 in analogue when I hit the blue "DAW" button…. or 16 ifI want… so, If Im doing headphone mixes in PT HD I have my 16 faders on the right in DAW mode with 8 inputs on the left ( it can be the other way.. e.g. 16 analogue inputs with 8 DAW faders to the right.

AUX's smauxses - in reality I never need a channel to go to more than a few FX at the same time, in this day and age that is what Pro tools HD is for - it's so easy to double a channel, or just print a few things back to the session - making solid decisions is the best option in my mind.

On mix down, 48 MDAC controlled faders, plus around 36 stationary inputs

As to the "sound" well….. it's….. BEAUTIFUL.

When it first arrived I thought it was an analogue version of PT…. BLAND and flat - ( I love PT, but as we all know it is a flat system)… now by no means is it a Neve or a 4000, but it has it's sweet spots. The channel input, the fader - the mix busses….. all have areas where you can manipulate for the positive.

A final note….. the pre amps are AWSOME - I'd LOVE a quad 8 as a side car though

Please ask any questions….

( The main desks I have worked on over the last 10 years have been….
Neve 88RS, VR
SSL 4000G, 9000K
the odd 80b
Old 26th April 2014
Lives for gear

Can you sum all the stereo external inputs to the main stereo buss and print a mix of all those sources at the same time?.
Old 29th April 2014
Lives for gear

Hey,

Thanks for starting this thread. Is it possible to automate an aux or EFX send level using the fader 2 path on each channel?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 31st May 2014
Here for the gear

Hi, i've read the manual but cant seem to find an answer for this anywhere,

Can you send channels in stereo mode to the tracking busses in stereo, or do they get summed to mono?

Can you do the same using the efx system ( to the tracking busses) ?

Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014
Here for the gear

Do you use a patchbay with your AWS 924? If so, how is it setup (pics?). I'm about to install one in a new studio and I'm looking for ideas on the patchbay setup, also I found in the manual that the "factory patchbay" has something called "6 Track Replay In" and they are numbered 1 through 4 and and I cant figure out what are those for (there are no connections on back of the console labeled with that)

Thank you,
Ignacio
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachosband View Post
Do you use a patchbay with your AWS 924? If so, how is it setup (pics?). I'm about to install one in a new studio and I'm looking for ideas on the patchbay setup, also I found in the manual that the "factory patchbay" has something called "6 Track Replay In" and they are numbered 1 through 4 and and I cant figure out what are those for (there are no connections on back of the console labeled with that)

Thank you,
Ignacio
Sounds like a "Surround Sound 5.1" reply System bringing back the outputs by utilizing the Eight Aux Busses or 8 Channel Busses inputs etc. Seeing as though these are usually were either Analog Encoded or AES-3 encoded, they might come back through the DAW/HUI type protocol, and then level out on the Main as 6 Track Reply Metering!

TLB
Old 5th June 2014
Solid State Logic

carlheinz - Can you sum all the stereo external inputs to the main stereo buss and print a mix of all those sources at the same time?.

Yes - You can do this by clever use of the Monitor Insert Send. Start by summing all the EXT B stereo inputs together with the SUM button. Next, engage the INS (Insert) button in the MONITOR OPTIONS function key menu. Then, taking a pair of patch cables, go to the patchbay and patch the Left and Right Monitor Insert Sends (which is now carrying the summed EXT B sources) into the Insert Return of the Mix Bus and engage the SUM function. Usefully, your EXT B sources are returned pre bus compressor, for one nicely compressed composite signal.

staudio - Thanks for starting this thread. Is it possible to automate an aux or EFX send level using the fader 2 path on each channel?

Yes. You can configure a given channel in 'In-line Mix' mode with the RETURN button disengaged. This allows you to use the '2nd path' on that channel to act as an automatable auxilary send. You choose if this automatable auxilary send leaves the console via your selection of track bus(ses) or the channel's direct ouput. It can be pre or post fader and it can also drive or not drive the leve into the other "dumb" auxilary sends on that channel.

recmonk - Hi, i've read the manual but cant seem to find an answer for this anywhere,
Can you send channels in stereo mode to the tracking busses in stereo, or do they get summed to mono?
Can you do the same using the efx system ( to the tracking busses) ?

Yes - on a given stereo channel, the track busses can be sent to in stereo by sending to odd/even pairs - e.g track bus 1 would be left and track bus 2 would be right etc etc...

Yes - you can use the EFX system driven from the Cue Stereo to drive the track busses in the same way - odd/even pairs

Nachosband - Do you use a patchbay with your AWS 924? If so, how is it setup (pics?). I'm about to install one in a new studio and I'm looking for ideas on the patchbay setup, also I found in the manual that the "factory patchbay" has something called "6 Track Replay In" and they are numbered 1 through 4 and and I cant figure out what are those for (there are no connections on back of the console labeled with that)

'6 Track Replay In' x 4 are normalled to the 4 x 5.1 inputs for EXT A monitor selections (which can be summed in monitoring). So outputs from DVD players or SACDs are normal suspects to feed these.
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Addict
Out of all the desks you've used, is it your favourite?
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

Can I just say I love this Jim.
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitradix View Post
Out of all the desks you've used, is it your favourite?
it's one of …….., my favourite overall is probably the 88RS - but that is in another league altogether - talk about awesome bussing
Old 10th March 2015
Here for the gear

AWS948 - beautiful mixer!
But! The power supply issue a high frequency sound (such as itching). It's annoying ((
There is a defect in my console only? Do you hear it?
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

The power supply does have a very low high pitch whine, but its so low that it only should be heard when behind the console - not in front of it.
When mine became audible from in front of the console - it was a few weeks to the analog power board failure. -was a pain, but was able to replace myself - I think had I had my GF or a small child on hand, it could have been a little quicker, but I really loved dismantling the whole thing to learn the inner workings. It's like having a great car that you do the work on yourself.

Nothing like getting to the end of putting back together and finding a couple of screws left over that you KNOW sit right in the centre of the console - open her up again.....SWEAR to yourself that you will never let that happen again.

it was kind of my own fault for using it it an old house with dodgy wiring and no power regulate in between the socket and the console. lesson learnt.
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Can I just say I love this Jim.
Is that the same Jim who posts here? Good stuff. Not how I pictured him.
Old 28th October 2017
Here for the gear

aws 916 dynamics

I recently got an aws 916 and love it. The thing that is driving me crazy is I can't the the 1 and 2 dynamics to light on any channel. I have searched the documentation and still can't figure it out. I am using the mix bus and I have assigned both dyn and comp to mix bus. What am I missing?

Thanks so much
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Head

If you assign the two Dyn to the mix or rec bus they will not be available for single channels
Old 30th October 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks! That is it. I thought they had to be assigned to the mix or rec bus to be assignable.
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Addict

Any heat issues?
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

None at all, it definitely warms up a room, but nothing unmanageable.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Addict

Does the automation work with reason?
Old 23rd May 2018
How do you get to group faders? Is there a button for this that takes away the last couple of channels and makes them into group faders?

If you have an X Rack with dynamic modules, what is the easiest way to assign the first 8 channels to the first 8 channels on the AWS? How would you switch one of them to another channel? All by your patch bay?
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
How do you get to group faders? Is there a button for this that takes away the last couple of channels and makes them into group faders?

If you have an X Rack with dynamic modules, what is the easiest way to assign the first 8 channels to the first 8 channels on the AWS? How would you switch one of them to another channel? All by your patch bay?
good question.

anyone?
Old 26th March 2019
Solid State Logic

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Patch bay.
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

Had an AWS 948 for 2 years. I love the G curves and they can be very HiFi if the fidelity exists on the tracks. Can't say enough on how much I loved that desk. I also work on the Duality which I love equally. Both desks are musical and punchy without getting in the way of the original tracks. Brilliant!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search