The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Speaker cable
Old 29th September 2002
Lives for gear

Speaker cable

Hi all

I wonder, is there really a significant difference in soundquality between using ordinairy thick copper wires and special (expensive) hi end speaker cable?

Does anybody have something really objective to say about the subject?

Peace, Han
Old 30th September 2002
Lives for gear

From what I know .... and this is technically very limited ....; there are a lot of MYTHS travelling the world concerning speaker cable.

I can't remember where and I tried a search on google but I remember reading somewhere and stated by a respectable audio magazine that actual listening tests did not reveal "audible" differences between ordinary cheap copper wire and the expensive oxygen free nasa aproved cables they charge fortunes for.

What is very important with speaker cable though is the resistance .... or the thickness of the wire. and that is very depending on the distance the signal has to travel .... the shorter the distance ... the thinner the wire can be in other words.

another factor is of course that cheap / solid copper wire is harder to handle then the more expensive multiwires, be it in silver or gold. the thicker the solid copper gets the harder it is to handle while making connections.

That what concerns audible differences between cheap and expensive.

On the other hand .... I do think that the way the cable is shielded makes a difference .... or in an extreme comparison .... a naked copper wire versus one shielded with different substances.

Studio wiring is in most situations a complex thing and it is not allways possible to keep different types of cable doing different things appart. Which is why you need to watch out that those cables don't interfere with each other. The way a cable is shielded is a very important factor in how much it costs ... but it has little or nothing to do with the conductor itself I think.
Old 1st October 2002
Lives for gear

Hi guys. you don't have to be ashamed for using that ordinairy lampcord

C'mon, say it! What kind of speakercable do you use??
Old 1st October 2002
Lives for gear

speaker cable

12ga. zip cord, but decent quality stuff, maybe 15 cents/ft

the hard part with heavy gauge zip cord is fitting it into standard connectors. I have some gear with standard 1/4" phone plugs and even XLRs for speaker connectors. Trying to cram 12ga. wire into those connectors (and then make a decent solder connection!) ain't easy!

steve
Old 1st October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Belden 1800F with Neutrik gold plated XLRs. Same cable used for everything in my studio. Sometimes, I'll switch mic cables with Monster Pro Link because it sounds different or better than the 1800F.
Old 1st October 2002
Lives for gear

I use a thick cable between the Harman Kardon Citation 16 amp and the main studio monitors and it sounds perfect.
It's not a special expensive speaker cable, just ordinairy copper cable that's normally used for high wattage electric machines etc

I still wonder if a special speaker cable would make any significant difference.

Peace, Han

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search