The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Modidfied Dominator II Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd December 2003
Modidfied Dominator II

Has anyone here had an Aphex Dominator II modified? I have one and I am interested in getting it "cleaned up".

I was thinking Audio Upgrades but was not sure how much it would change the original sound.
Old 3rd December 2003
Lives for gear

I had Jim Williams do my Compellor and it really didn't change the sound much. Just kind of made it sound the same but better, if that makes any sense. I like it better after the mod.
Old 18th September 2005
Lives for gear

I just got my hands on a dominator II as well as a compellor, the two work very well together, curious to try it on a broadcast, for mastering mojo.

what's this jim williams mod you speak of???
Old 18th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Has anyone here had an Aphex Dominator II modified? I have one and I am interested in getting it "cleaned up".
I have one. To do it 'right' (getting all of the unnecessary stuff out of the signal path as well as upgrading the audio path) is quite a job. I don't know what Jim does, but I know what my tech did was very involved...
Old 18th September 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood
I have one. To do it 'right' (getting all of the unnecessary stuff out of the signal path as well as upgrading the audio path) is quite a job. I don't know what Jim does, but I know what my tech did was very involved...
Was it really worth it?

Quote:
I have one and I am interested in getting it "cleaned up".
Just curious, do you feel it's a bit dirty "stock" or are you referring to the artifacts when hitting it hard (DII)?

I use the compellor/dominator chain once in a while but have never really given much thought about modding them... maybe the dominator but I assumed that was a function of the source material and how hard it was being thrown at it....? Am I really missing something here?

Thanks,
dach
Old 18th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dach
Was it really worth it?
For me, yes. I don't use it much, but from some projects, it's just right...
Old 18th September 2005
Lives for gear

Brad what did your tech do?
I have one and I don't use it that much. The high end is kinda cheap to me

Jo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search