The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quested monitors lack of low end?
Old 9th April 2014
Quested monitors lack of low end?

I have heard many people speak highly of their monitors especially with many of then being updated several years ago. I started to look at their web site and noticed some disturbing news.

S6R's only go down to 75 Hz while even the Yamaha HS5's go down to 54 Hz.

S7R's go down to 65 Hz

S8R's with 8 inch speakers only go down to 50 Hz.

It seems you have to buy their sub to get enough bass. What am I missing here?
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

Well, the numbers as such do not say it all. There is physics on one hand (bigger bass = bigger size needed) but on the hand there are monitors that give you quite complex music perception in spite of theoretical bass frequency limitation. Regarding Quested: S6R may indeed sound a bit bass light and is rather meant for brodacast vans etc. or with the use of subwoofer.

S7R is already perfect standalone monitor (which you can of course enhance by a sub)

S8R has larger bass, but S7R may sound a bit more balanced.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

Specs can sometimes be misleading, but some smaller monitors do have enough bass and some, in my opinion, do not. I can't speak specifically about the SR6, SR7 and SR8, but I mix on the Mackie HR824's all time time and they have an 8.75" woofer and a ported design. They have plently of bass (1.5db down at 39HZ) and don't (in my opinion) need a subwoofer. However, the smaller H624's, in my opinion, does not have enough bass and needs a subwoofer. I DO however, even with the HR824, check my mixes on my large home stereo which is almost flat to 20HZ (and the speakers on my home system are sealed and NOT ported), to make sure there is nothing strange going on in the very low end that I can't hear on the HR824.

Your concern is important to me because I have never liked mixing on subwoofers. I know some people use them with great results, and they point out how the very low end is not that directional and using 1 common sub should not mess things up, but I have always had challenges getting a realistic (to me) stereo image using a sub woofer and prefer not to use them if possible.
Old 9th April 2014
I agree the specs only tell half of the story, but I am surprised at the lack if low end of the SR monitors.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

Your grouping all the Questeds as no low end based on one series of small nearfields , take a look at 2108s!
Since the earlier version uses a single 8 but the same cabinet volume as my 2308s I can guarantee you won't be disappointed !
The S7 is such a sweet speaker in the vocal range I wouldn't care about its lack of Lowend !
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

The S7r has better and more detailed bass then most other nearfields which often have boomy and uncontrolled lows.
Don't be fooled by the specs on paper.
Just make sure to check your sub bass with a subwoofer or headphones.
Old 15th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Your grouping all the Questeds as no low end based on one series of small nearfields , take a look at 2108s!
Since the earlier version uses a single 8 but the same cabinet volume as my 2308s I can guarantee you won't be disappointed !
The S7 is such a sweet speaker in the vocal range I wouldn't care about its lack of Lowend !
No I am only talking about their near fields. I have a hard time considering any of these monitors without using them with a sub. I am sure the mids and highs are wonderful though.o
Old 6th September 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Well, the numbers as such do not say it all. There is physics on one hand (bigger bass = bigger size needed) but on the hand there are monitors that give you quite complex music perception in spite of theoretical bass frequency limitation. Regarding Quested: S6R may indeed sound a bit bass light and is rather meant for brodacast vans etc. or with the use of subwoofer.

S7R is already perfect standalone monitor (which you can of course enhance by a sub)

S8R has larger bass, but S7R may sound a bit more balanced.
hi ISedlacek! I've read lots of your review about Quested/PSI/Sonodyne. In consideration of my application, I prefer to choose Quested for listening classical music in my small room(3.6*4m).I can afford S7R and S8R ,and the V2108 is slightly out of my budget(But I think a could buy them later if they are good enough when compare to 3-way desigh on the same price level). I want to ask you some question:
1, Are S8R or V2108 too big for my room? I am afraid the bass will be too much when I listening Mahler/bruckner.but I love the bigger bass diver that could offerring comfortable instrument shape(for example the left hand key of piano or cello).
2,Is the mid-range detail would lost on these 2-way desigh Quested monitor when comparing to the neumann KH310(or KH O300)?
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I have heard many people speak highly of their monitors especially with many of then being updated several years ago. I started to look at their web site and noticed some disturbing news.

S7R's go down to 65 Hz

"only goes down to xx Hz" is not the complete story. Is that a -3dB spec, a -10dB spec or something else? Without knowing the amount of drop at that frequency, the spec is incomplete, and not very helpful.
Old 6th September 2014
Quote:

S7R's go down to 65 Hz

Could be a large quantity of bubble gum.
If you stick about two well chewed bazooka joes to each of the woofers in the s6r's
you will probably get them to a much lower fs than the Yamaha.
NB. This may badly affect the drivers midrange performance however.:-)
The good thing is, Sub woofers are generally quite good at low frequency without having to casually add to the reciprocating mass with masticated combustibles and the like.
Yamaha loudspeakers used to be radically improved with tissue paper stuck over the tweeters.
The other modernist option, is to save energy and use some direct transducer system to introduce extremely low frequencies directly into the body.
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

S7R's go down to 65 Hz

What do you mean by 'go down to'?
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

S7R's go down to 65 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
"only goes down to xx Hz" is not the complete story. Is that a -3dB spec, a -10dB spec or something else? Without knowing the amount of drop at that frequency, the spec is incomplete, and not very helpful.
A little research can go a long way.

The Quested S6 spec of 75 Hz is at -2dB.

The Yamaha HS5 spec of 54 Hz is at -10dB.

Apples and oranges, more or less.
Old 6th September 2014
Here for the gear
Can't see any unusual frequencies here. The Quested S8R (50Hz at -2dB), for example, falls right between two popular 3-way monitors: ATC SCM25A (74Hz at -2dB) and Neumann KH310 (36Hz at -2dB).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search