The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What monitors with Adam S3X-H (and Avantone MixCubase) Studio Monitors
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Maniac
What monitors with Adam S3X-H (and Avantone MixCubase)

Hi!
I have Adam S3X-Hs and Avantone Mix Cubase in my control room...I'm quite happy with the setup but something bugs me with the Adams...I can't be sure about the middle information, about leadvoc and snare levels...Still I love the S3Xs as midfields and have been considering getting one more pair monitors...

There are a million monitor threads going on currently but I haven't found them very helpful here...

What would you choose? The Adams have great sound and feel, the Mix cubes have "great Lo-Fi"...Something accurate, precise...I would use these as nearfields.

Price range is about 3000e or so.

Thanks a lot!

-- Mikko
Old 9th April 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Quested V2108 would fit into your setup well.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Maniac
Can you somehow describe the Quested sound compared to Adams?

How about Spiral Grooves, would that sound like a wise move for me?

-- Mikko

Last edited by mherrane; 9th April 2014 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Writing error
Old 9th April 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane View Post
Can you somehow describe the Quested sound compared to Adams?

How about Spiral Grooves, would that sound like a wise move for me?

-- Mikko
More natural warm sounding, really clear and detailed mid range,smoother, articulate low end (clean - natural) This compared to the S3X anyway.

Not heard the Spiral Grooves so can't comment.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

I would say spend 1000 on treatment and your midrange will start to pop out nice. The combination of your two monitors should be fine.

There is always my favorite little speaker that does just a bit more range than the mix cube: Equator d5.. don't be fooled by the price.. $400

Best
Old 30th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi!
I have Adam S3X-Hs and Avantone Mix Cubase in my control room...I'm quite happy with the setup but something bugs me with the Adams...I can't be sure about the middle information, about leadvoc and snare levels...Still I love the S3Xs as midfields and have been considering getting one more pair monitors...

There are a million monitor threads going on currently but I haven't found them very helpful here...

What would you choose? The Adams have great sound and feel, the Mix cubes have "great Lo-Fi"...Something accurate, precise...I would use these as nearfields.

Price range is about 3000e or so.

Thanks a lot!

-- Mikko
I would say Amphion One15 or Pelonis model 42 would work for you
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Addict

I also have S3X-H as the main and after several tests I now use Neumann KH120 for the small monitoring.
I think my work is better since I use this combination, as it sounds good everywhere I listen to my work...
Old 1st May 2015
Gear Maniac
Solution

Wow, thanks for waking up an old thread of mine.

Actually I have since found a solution that works wonders for me...I'm now using only one monitor pair and that pair is Amphion One18+Amp500. I sold both Avantones and S3X's after some months with the One18s. I just didn't feel the need to keep them anymore.I'm waiting for Amphion to release the BaseOne25 lowend-thingies. With those I'll finally have the "perfect for me"-listening environment I've been seeking for.

--
Old 5th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Actually I have since found a solution that works wonders for me...I'm now using only one monitor pair and that pair is Amphion One18+Amp500. I sold both Avantones and S3X's after some months with the One18s. I just didn't feel the need to keep them anymore.I'm waiting for Amphion to release the BaseOne25 lowend-thingies. With those I'll finally have the "perfect for me"-listening environment I've been seeking for.

--
Do you miss the high spl or bass extension of the S3x-H?
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

What are the Amphion baseone25 thingies? What do they do?

Quote:

--
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet View Post
What are the Amphion baseone25 thingies? What do they do?
Amphion BaseOne25 press release.

dB
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

Hey David- i sure miss you over at Adam. Your customer support was always so great. Thanks.
To the OP, I don't know the difference between the newer -x models and the older S3A's which i have (w/sub), but the mids are specifically what works best for me on the S3A's. I still have ns-10, auratones and my mono studer speaker, but the ADAM's carry most of the weight. Maybe the newer models are "softer" in the mids. The older ones are completely unforgiving. Sound awful, until you get the mix right, then suddenly it sounds amazing.
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

Ahhh, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

I recently sold my S3X-H's for Amphion Two18's since I don't like having multiple monitor options. But if you are looking at adding a smaller set to tell you what the Adams won't, the Amphion One18 is your best option. I would have gone this route of I wasn't SUCH a fan of having a single monitor option. That being said, I don't miss my Adams at all and am very happy with my choice.
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Maniac
No, I don't miss the high SPLs of the Adams...I had to move to a smaller control room and the Amphions play loud enough for my needs (tracking and mixing)

Actually I heard and tested the BaseOne25s in my own place and they really are PHENOMENAL...The upgrade from S3Xs to One18s was a big step up but adding the BaseOne25s to the One18s is even a bigger step up...The first time I've had a perfect lowend listening environment...

You can mix at speaking volumes but still get the "big club PA feel" on the lowend.

I just hope they release these babies fast! <3
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, I don't miss the high SPLs of the Adams...I had to move to a smaller control room and the Amphions play loud enough for my needs (tracking and mixing)

Actually I heard and tested the BaseOne25s in my own place and they really are PHENOMENAL...The upgrade from S3Xs to One18s was a big step up but adding the BaseOne25s to the One18s is even a bigger step up...The first time I've had a perfect lowend listening environment...

You can mix at speaking volumes but still get the "big club PA feel" on the lowend.

I just hope they release these babies fast! <3
Wow! I just read your brief review of the Basone25s and I cant wait till these babies are available myself. I just heard the Two18 yesterday and they are AMAZING!!!! I knew I wanted the One15 and now I want the Two18 too smh lol

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search