The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gates sta-level's larger cousin?
Old 31st October 2006
Lives for gear

Gates sta-level's larger cousin?

I am wondering about a unit that I have come across...

It was racked above an original gates sta-level, but was nearly 3 times the size in rack space. In a cursory glance, I did not see a 3686 tube in the back, but many others were present.

The meter in the front did say "dbu" compression, just as the meter in the sta-level.

The controls were just as basic as the sta-level, but no "name" was on it, other than "Gates."

Again, just as the sta-level, the front opened to reveal some other controls, but only seemed to correspond with tube circuits specified on the back with chicken-head control knobs.

What is this monster? Is it normally used in conjunction with a sta-level?
Old 31st October 2006
Lives for gear

I've seen those, it's the predicessor to the STA Level. They pop up on ebay from time to time.
Old 31st October 2006
Lives for gear

I think it may be the SA-38.

Any idea what it's worth? I am restoring a sta-level and may be able to purchase this unit, too. I'm pretty sure it "works."
Old 31st October 2006
Lives for gear

SA-39a
SA-39b

We have a "b" version.

They are kind of rare and in various states of working order...
it's hard to say what it would be worth. It depends on a lot of things.
I would guess anywhere from $500 to $2,000.
Old 31st October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumblesound View Post
SA-39a
SA-39b

We have a "b" version.

They are kind of rare and in various states of working order...
it's hard to say what it would be worth. It depends on a lot of things.
I would guess anywhere from $500 to $2,000.
Yes, yes, and yes, agreed.
Old 31st October 2006
And of course there is the Level Devil. Not the one I think you saw, but a cool piece nonetheless. Gates has some cool stuff. Too bad people are starting to realize it because they aren't as cheap as they used to be.
Old 31st October 2006
Gear Maniac

yeah, they have been getting more popular. I've got 2 Gates Solid Statesman Limiters on the way from an ebay seller. I hope i find i like them.
Old 31st October 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownjon View Post
yeah, they have been getting more popular. I've got 2 Gates Solid Statesman Limiters on the way from an ebay seller. I hope i find i like them.
They are unfortunately noticably less cool than the tube units, but they're still pretty cool for some applications, and very affordable compared to STA-Levels and Level Devils. As long as you didn't over-spend for the brand name, I think you'll find a happy place for them and enjoy having them around. I was considering picking up a couple myself just to have some extra colors available. Let us know how they turn out for you.
Old 31st October 2006
Gear Maniac

na, 100 bucks a piece. I don't think that's too much. I figured they've got to be in the range of a dbx 160 or something.
Old 1st November 2006
Lives for gear

I've ran across a couple big ol' Gates tube comps with different model numbers, (28CO, M-5263) but never pulled the trigger and got one.

Do all the tube models sound kind of similar?
Old 1st November 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Do all the tube models sound kind of similar?

Nope.
Old 1st November 2006
Lives for gear

I didn't think so, which is why I didn't go for any of them.

Are any of the Gates tube comps besides the Sta-Level any good might be a better question, and what do some of the other models sound like...?

There's practically no information about them anywhere that I can find.
Old 1st November 2006
Quote:

Are any of the Gates tube comps besides the Sta-Level any good might be a better question, and what do some of the other models sound like...?

Any good is up for conjecture.

If you mean are they worth the trouble?

That's up for debate.

Besides the Sta-Level the SA-39 which MBH has kinda made really popular is used alot for bass but other than that???

Personally i would focus more on getting pair of Sta Levels if it were me and restoring those(not that difficult) or maybe a Sta-Level and an Altec 436C.

Hey if you are handy with electronics you could build your own. There really isn't much inside and the schematic can be downloaded.

And by the way this is IMO only.
Old 1st November 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20 View Post
I think it may be the SA-38.

Any idea what it's worth? I am restoring a sta-level and may be able to purchase this unit, too. I'm pretty sure it "works."

I have just recieved a free S-38 or SA-38 maybe???? Anyway, I have to drive an hour and a half to get it and can't find any info on it. The guy giving it to me clearly stated it is an S-38 limiter. I am wondering if it is worth the drive to pick it up. The VU glass is broken and I don't think the thing has been turned on since 1970 and has been in storage in an old CBC building ever since.
Old 1st November 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher View Post
I have just recieved a free S-38 or SA-38 maybe???? Anyway, I have to drive an hour and a half to get it and can't find any info on it. The guy giving it to me clearly stated it is an S-38 limiter. I am wondering if it is worth the drive to pick it up. The VU glass is broken and I don't think the thing has been turned on since 1970 and has been in storage in an old CBC building ever since.
No, Don't do it! Give me the guy's address instead...

That's not a bad drive, and you don't mind a little restoration project, it's worth a little of your time. It's not going to change your world, but I'd go for it given the offer.
Old 1st November 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

That is what I'm thinking, but I can't find anything out about it. Not even a picture of the thing, which I assume is a big menacing looking space heater.
Old 1st November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Personally i would focus more on getting pair of Sta Levels if it were me and restoring those(not that difficult) or maybe a Sta-Level and an Altec 436C.
You read my mind, thrill. I've been tossing around the idea of a BA-6A or two as well.
Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have the SA-39 and it is very nice on lots of stuff. Even vocals sometimes.
Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher View Post
Go get it. Offer to buy him a 6-pack. Yes; it's worth the drive!
Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echorec View Post
I have the SA-39 and it is very nice on lots of stuff. Even vocals sometimes.
I just found out it's the 39a.

I love how HUGE it is. Like 8 rack spaces.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search