The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSI 21 vs A215
Old 5th April 2014
Gear Maniac

PSI 21 vs A215

Primarily for mixing (and sometimes for some quick and dirty diy mastering).

Which model would you prefer?

Could I place the PSI 215 behind my mixing console or do they have to stand "free so I can see them from top to bottom" ?

Room dimensions are 5x 6 metres, other monitors are Genelec 1030/ 1032 and Ns10m.

Big thanks
Tom
Old 5th April 2014
Lives for gear

I have the 215s, and they need a lot of free space around them before they really show what they can do.

I'd say that the biggest difference between the 21s and 215s is the size of the sweet spot: On the 215s, the sweet spot degrades so gently that you still hear a phantom center even when you're far off to the side. Very handy if you have clients who like to sit next to you and participate actively in the mixing process. Or in educational settings, when you have many students who sit next to each other. But they are a little more sensitive to first reflections than the 21s. The sweet spot on the 21s seems quite small in comparison to the 215s, but you still get the same sound stage when you're in the sweet spot. So with the 21s, both their smaller size and their sharper directivity should make them more practical in a studio full of equipment. But I've only heard the 21s alongside the 215s in a store, so I can't say for sure.

Another difference is in the bass: The 215s sound larger and with a thicker bass compared to the 21s, but they also sound a little slow below 80Hz. The 21s seem to suffer a little less from slow bass than the 215s.
Old 5th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks Hjelmevold.
Old 5th April 2014
Lives for gear

I had them all here and found the A21 to be the perfect nearfield mix-speaker and in combination with a sub I liked them better than the A215. When playing loud the A215 sounded not as open as the A21 to me. For the rest I can double on what Hjelmevold said before, bass and spot is bigger with the A215. All PSI are ruler flat and very accurate in phase and stereoimage.
Old 6th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your impressions.
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Addict

other opinions?
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear
Same opinion as Miles Flint.
I would say also that the A21 with A225 sub are really linear in the lows while the A215 seems to have a kind of boost.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search