The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overstayer Ampeq-02
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear
Overstayer Ampeq-02

Anyone have one of these? I can't find any feedback on this pre. Any advice appreciated, especially how this compares to similarly priced pre's (Slate Fox, Juggernaut). I'm looking for something for the mix buss post-Pullet. I really dig the 2-band eq on this.. would love to know what users think. Or similar options for under $2k.

AMPEQ-02 — OVERSTAYER Recording Equipment, Inc.
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

yes and no.

I have one of the custom nt-01 units that has the same pre coupled with a stereo fet compressor. Pre is killer for sure and the unit is a swiss army knife in my room. I think you be hard pressed to find a better stereo pre with it's features for under $2k.

ej
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear
Thanks for your feedback! It seems that great quality is an Overstayer thing. Love the features on this, I'll take it for a test run from VK. Still, there are so many amazing quality options these days that I'm floored. This is where a $2k cap helps
Old 24th March 2015
Overstayer test run

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
Thanks for your feedback! It seems that great quality is an Overstayer thing. Love the features on this, I'll take it for a test run from VK. Still, there are so many amazing quality options these days that I'm floored. This is where a $2k cap helps
Really curious as to whether or not you bought the unit because it interests me now.
What were your impressions and your final decision?
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear
Hi! I ended up finding a great deal on a Phoenix DRS4Q and grabbed it. I had the OS unit for a few days on loan from Jeff (who is totally great) when my phoenix went down, but i fixed it fast and was too happy with that sound to do an A/B. I did try it briefly, sounded great. But i was already smitten with the phoenix and needed more EQ points (has 4). And detented pots on them. Plus it was only a loan, if Jeff lived farther away than 3000 miles, I would've kept it!

I have the OS SVCA right now and man o man, can that do a lot. I keep reaching for it to do all kinds of stuff. It's a slamming compressor, but the saturation + other features are great too. I'm sure these saturation circuit in the Ampeq is similar? Maybe. I know he put a lot of thought into his latest pieces though, and they rock. I want all of them..
Old 5th April 2015
Hey golds, thanks for sharing so much information about your experience, cause it tells a lot.
Gonna take another look at the Overstayer stuff, especially the SVCA, which really looks unique.
Old 6th April 2015
dzb
Gear Nut

+1 for the Overstayer Stereo Voltage Control (SVC) unit.

Listened to it at NAMM on stems I brought with, now I own one for the studio- really impressive at providing versatile strokes to a 2 buss anything... it can do some really cool things to a mix, too, if you seek that- color or subtle, smooth or punch - I really like this unit.

Had I not seen it at the show, I'm not sure this would have hit my radar... a short review only scratches the surface but a short time with it made it a very easy decision to get. It was one of the really impactful pieces I saw that week.

The Ampeq-02 was also pretty cool- I am flush with pres and was leaning toward compressor + coloring. I can see the Ampeq-02 providing multiple duties. Really nice blend of features.

Last edited by dzb; 6th April 2015 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Added note related to OP
Old 8th April 2015
Stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzb View Post
+1 for the Overstayer Stereo Voltage Control (SVC) unit.

Listened to it at NAMM on stems I brought with, now I own one for the studio- really impressive at providing versatile strokes to a 2 buss anything... it can do some really cool things to a mix, too, if you seek that- color or subtle, smooth or punch - I really like this unit.

Had I not seen it at the show, I'm not sure this would have hit my radar... a short review only scratches the surface but a short time with it made it a very easy decision to get. It was one of the really impactful pieces I saw that week.

The Ampeq-02 was also pretty cool- I am flush with pres and was leaning toward compressor + coloring. I can see the Ampeq-02 providing multiple duties. Really nice blend of features.
Another great post!

You brought stems along and has them processed? That was a smart idea.

Just curious. What format did you bring them in?
Old 10th April 2015
dzb
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordpriest View Post
You brought stems along and has them processed? That was a smart idea.

Just curious. What format did you bring them in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzb View Post
Listened to it {SVC} at NAMM on stems I brought with, now I own one...
It was via an Olympus LS-10 hi-res recorder (does up to 192Khz) but I used the actual recorded 24/48 stereo wav files from sessions - also dumbed them down to "hi-res {320 kbs) Mp3's" (if there is such a thing) as a back-up on another device just in case. I had few different cables and adapters so I could plug in to different units that I would come by. A selection of some straight up drum tracks, drum stem, vocal solo'd, guitar bus, rough and completed mixes - material I knew. It made it great to just plug in to many units there - and most booths were super accommodating (and many were glad I thought to bring cables to quickly connect to my unit)... I even brought the tracks on USB which was the only way to get it rolling on one high end vendor's booth that was running their demo solely through their computer & interfaces.

I had never been to NAMM before so I wanted to be prepared. The main purpose of attending was to thoroughly see, hear, and touch one new specific analog console and figure out if it would fit my need/workflow--- or, alternatively try to figure out if I was going to continue my hybrid modular/summing approach... I landed on expanding my modular desk in my new studio build - based in part because of a few products I saw, vendor connections, a couple units already acquired, and a couple others that are slated to be available by the time I complete my new studio build. I'll probably start a thread on those related topics at some point.

Last edited by dzb; 13th April 2015 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: typo, phrasing fix.
Old 12th April 2015
Very good way to roll. Looking forward to hearing how it works out and thanks for sharing that information.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search