The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon Quandary: 224XL, 300L, 480L. Do I keep the 300L or 480L?
Old 26th March 2014
Lexicon Quandary: 224XL, 300L, 480L. Do I keep the 300L or 480L?

OK I'm in Lexicon Heaven right now. I have a 224XL & 300L with an LR4 Framelink but have found a cheap 480L. Sorry I'm not bragging, just been lucky with reverb units lately (I'll tell u about the AMS RMX-16 another day). Anyway so I've got more verb than I need and the 224XL definitely stays. So do I keep the 300L or the 480L?

The obvious answer is the 224XL / 480L combo but I'm not too sure. I love the 300L and it doesn't feel so fragile (like the 224XL & 480L tend to be).

Is the sound of the 480L so much better than the 300L? Is it worth risking the potential reliability issues of the 480L for the superior sound, dual engine and algos?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

K
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Guru

Isn't a 300 just a single engine 480?
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

I prefer the 300 on some stuff. I would have a hard time selling a 480L though if I had one!
Tough choice.
The 300 has different converters I believe and is as far as I recall not simply a single engine version btw.
The 300L is probably a fair bit younger than the 480L so reliability might play it's hand in any choice too, no?
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

480L !
Old 26th March 2014
Deleted 8456dd3
Hi kikumotoallstars, if you do go with the 480 and hook the 224 off the back of it id be interested in buying the Framelink unit if your selling as i have a 300 and XL and would be nice and convenient to have both on one LARC
I found the 480 to be nice and colourful, great on single sources that need "lifting" when used on a mix as the main reverb i often thought it sounded a bit too much and found other units seem to blend better, for my purposes i think i like the 300 better as a main reverb, it has a similar signature but seems not to stick out as much
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

another 480, what about the AMS????
Old 26th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I prefer the 300 on some stuff. I would have a hard time selling a 480L though if I had one!
Tough choice.
The 300 has different converters I believe and is as far as I recall not simply a single engine version btw.
The 300L is probably a fair bit younger than the 480L so reliability might play it's hand in any choice too, no?
Yeah, there are hardware differences, converters, the 300 is not as old but I thought the basic reverb algorithms are the same?
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

I think so but not sure. I love my 300 either way. Certainly a high end unit.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

The 480 can sound good for long verbs, but it often sounds a bit too "early 90s" for my taste. Haven't heard the 300, though. I'm guessing the difference is subtle. Very nice that you have a 224!
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'd keep the 224X and add a Bricasti...wouldn't bother with 480l or 300.
Old 26th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
I'd keep the 224X and add a Bricasti...wouldn't bother with 480l or 300.
Seems he has 224XL & 300L sharing same LARC. But I agree...the M7 will give you what you ain't got...480 only more of what you got.

Happy Tails to you...until we meet again
Old 26th March 2014
Thx 4 the feedback Guys,

Yep, system is 224XL / 300L, LR4 Framelink with a single LARC. Works amazingly. I love it. The AMS is probably my favorite reverb but doesn't do everything. Nice for short ambience. Blends really well as opposed to the lexicon 'large, dreamy and creamy sound'.

Bricasti would be great but not essential for what I'm doing. Electronic music.

I've always wanted a 480L but never used one personally. Now the opportunity is here I don't know if 'need it'. Is it that much better than a 300L?
Old 27th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikumotoallstars View Post
The AMS is probably my favorite reverb
ditto.

Hall (3) at 3.5 seconds with a lil' pre-delay and a low-cut
Ambience (1) at 4 seconds...noice!
Old 27th March 2014
Thx, will try those settings. My AMS normally sits on drum and vox. Where do u use yours?

Anyone with any more 480L opinions?
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

Bricasti not essential for dance music? I know many respected dance producers with Bricasti reverbs in their racks. Im not sure about certain reverbs models fitting certain music styles anyway...does not compute

Bricasti does the Lexicon thing very, very well...better imho and much more besides, probably why 480L prices are at an all time low and so many are for sale... But then I was never a fan of the 480L reverbs anyway(I used to use the other effects it did much more)...I think the 224X is the last great Lexicon reverb.

Why not try an Eventide H8000?
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

I think the 300 is the last great lexicon. I think prices are due to age as well. Worrying having to look after a LARC and 480.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the 300 is the last great lexicon. I think prices are due to age as well. Worrying having to look after a LARC and 480.
Maybe...but the same hasn't happened to say AMS or EMT and they are far worse in the reliability stakes.

I believe it is much more to do with the Bricasti, as I say it does that later lexicon thing very well as well as a lot more...

The 224X continues to hold it's price..maybe even rise a little.. Same with the AMS..EMT250/1.. maybe because there is nothing yet that can really replace them.
Old 27th March 2014
Hey Space,

Appreciate your thoughts. So u don't like the 480 at all?

Bricasti hmmm yeah I know its good. I think deep down I'm suspicious of new gear. Like I know that the 224 is good cos vangelis used it or AMS is good cos Martin Hannett used it or whatever. When 'new gear' is released everyone goes crazy but the smoke clears & then we realise it kinda sounded ****.

My studio is pretty much full of old 'classic' gear. None of it is under warranty and I do still hold my breath when I power some of it up. But I know if it does power up its gonna sound amazing.

Maybe the Bricasti is a future classic and if so I'll probably buy one in 20 years!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Maybe...but the same hasn't happened to say AMS or EMT and they are far worse in the reliability stakes.

I believe it is much more to do with the Bricasti, as I say it does that later lexicon thing very well as well as a lot more...

The 224X continues to hold it's price..maybe even rise a little.. Same with the AMS..EMT250/1.. maybe because there is nothing yet that can really replace them.
Valid point but the EMT and AMS are much rarer too.
I had a 251 and the 246 beats it. In fact the 246 is my favorite reverb and the 250 alg sounds amazing on it. Probably better than the 250 BUT I still rank the 300 very high indeed ESPECIALLY at the price point now.
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Nut

All good dialog... so, about what is the going
rare for a 300 now..??
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

I guess $1200? In Europe about that. If it is the Larc version, probably $2000
Lives for gear

Quote:
Valid point but the EMT and AMS are much rarer too.
I had a 251 and the 246 beats it. In fact the 246 is my favorite reverb and the 250 alg sounds amazing on it. Probably better than the 250 BUT I still rank the 300 very high indeed ESPECIALLY at the price point now.
We share similar taste in reverbs (amongst little known producers like CLA who call the 246 his favourite reverb

Emt 246, 252, bricasti m7, 5x sony dre 2000, eventide sp2016 original etc etc.

The 480 4.1 and the original 224 are the ones to keep imho. If you have the m300 and mostly do dance music you wont prolly miss it much since imho it mostly shines on looong reverbs for orchestra and piano halls.

Ditch the 224xl and get an original
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post

The 480 4.1 and the original 224 are the ones to keep imho. If you have the m300 and mostly do dance music you wont prolly miss it much since imho it mostly shines on looong reverbs for orchestra and piano halls.

Ditch the 224xl and get an original
Yes of course its the V4.1 which is important. I know wot u r saying re: the original 224 being the best but I can't be bothered with having 2 larcs.

I agree the M300 (or 300L which I have) is great for those looong reverbs, but is the 480L not good at those too? Or is the 480L better at wood rooms for example?

Don't tell me I need to keep all 3 Lexicon reverbs?
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't tell me I need to keep all 3 Lexicon reverbs?
Yes, as a true gear slut you would need to keep all three Lexicon units.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikumotoallstars View Post
Thx, will try those settings. My AMS normally sits on drum and vox. Where do u use yours?

Anyone with any more 480L opinions?
Lead vox, almost exclusively.
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

No lead vox without the 480. Id say loose the 300 If You got a emt 252 but ...

Listen and remotes are the coolest thing ever. Just get a laptop stand you can angle and put em all up there. Major bling bling if youre gen y itll remind you of those old game controllers

id say keep em all and get duplicates for the most important ones but thats me
Old 28th March 2014
Nah, I'm a little older than gen y. Pre Atari era actually. More pinball era when I think about it.

Like the idea of the laptop stand tho. Lots of controllers here.

Still need some feedback on the 480L 4 med-long verbs and other comparisons or experiences compared to the 300L.

Anyone?
Old 28th March 2014
Deleted 8456dd3
I had a 4.1 480L for many years and now a 224XL and a version 3 300 as well.
The difference between the 480L and the 300 is the 480L has more color due to the D/A conversion, actually the PCM70 has a similar color to the sound (which uses the same converters as the 480L)... the 300 is less colorful, different converters but many same algorithms as 480L but it has a different vibe.....
As i said before i think the 300 is better as a main reverb for halls as its not so noticable, more transparent than the 480, the 480 can sound a bit too much...., i think the 480 shines on lifting certain individual elements in the mix due to the color of the conversion, so vocals, drums but less so as a master room hall reverb that you throw on everything.....
I think something like a 300 as a main verb and say a pcm70/224xl for drum room, vocals suits me better. So keep your 300 and save some money
Hey also...... remember PM me if you sell your framelink haha
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

I got the 300 because a friend told me that it's basically the same as a 480 only half the power.
When I got the 480 I realized that the 300 is a nice unit but not even close to the 480. There's no other way if you want a 480 you have to get one โ€ฆ Do you need one - only you can know. Btw I kept the 300 and I'm happy I did. I don't use it as much as the 480 but when it crosses my mind I know exactly what I get out of it - something different than a 480.

Btw nothing beats a PCM60 :D
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah I sold my 300 and bought a second 224.
๐Ÿ“ Reply