The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon Quandary: 224XL, 300L, 480L. Do I keep the 300L or 480L?
Old 31st March 2014
Nrt
Lives for gear

Don't forget to buy PCM70 if you don't have one yet.
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Maniac

So I got the 480L & it's good. It definitely surpasses the 300L in many areas & better from a mix / blend perspective however I think the 300L still have an edge on the big hall sounds. Might be the convertor & bit rate. Has anyone found the same thing?

Interesting to A/B with the 224xl too. Just different beasts. It's funny tho, when soloed I prefer the 224xl almost always but in the context of the mix the 480l just worked. Definitely less dense & maybe more subtle.

One thing I did notice with the 480l was the fan noise. Really loud. Is this normal?

Tempted to post a photo of the 480l/300l/244xl & lr4 all stacked in a rack. Super slutty but I'm running out of rack space tho.

I had no intention of keeping all 3 units & I guess now I'm having doubts about parting with the 300L. I can't keep all of them can I? Or can I?
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

I'd keep all 3 Units no problem, 224xl at 14-16 bit, 480L 4.1 at 18 Bit, and M/L300 at 20 bit, I'd split the 480L and send a PCM-81 through the Aux, then Sample with the 480L and make more Algo's. As you have the LR4 Framelink, you really only need the 20/20 for the Lexicon 480L to give you 20 Bit AES/SPDIF or 4 x SPDIF and WC. Then your pumping on all Cylinders for a long period of time, if your in the UK you have Benden Tech....So no problems should a unit go down! Now.....You need the API 2500, SSL FX 348G, Neve 33609 (Flavour dependant) and start another obsession!

Enjoy!
Old 16th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
As you have the LR4 Framelink, you really only need the 20/20 for the Lexicon 480L to give you 20 Bit AES/SPDIF or 4 x SPDIF and WC.
Enjoy!
Thx 4 that LastByte. Can u elaborate how to get the 480L to 20 bit? Further to this how do I get this integrated practically when I'm running at 24bit for example? I'd need to dither with another device wouldn't I?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikumotoallstars View Post
Thx 4 that LastByte. Can u elaborate how to get the 480L to 20 bit? Further to this how do I get this integrated practically when I'm running at 24bit for example? I'd need to dither with another device wouldn't I?
Sure, send me a PM and I'll give you the info you need, no way I'm ever making certain companies gear go into a price rise again, vintage or Modern/New.

Cheers,
TLB
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I got the 480L & it's good. It definitely surpasses the 300L in many areas & better from a mix / blend perspective however I think the 300L still have an edge on the big hall sounds. Might be the convertor & bit rate. Has anyone found the same thing?

Interesting to A/B with the 224xl too. Just different beasts. It's funny tho, when soloed I prefer the 224xl almost always but in the context of the mix the 480l just worked. Definitely less dense & maybe more subtle.

One thing I did notice with the 480l was the fan noise. Really loud. Is this normal?

Tempted to post a photo of the 480l/300l/244xl & lr4 all stacked in a rack. Super slutty but I'm running out of rack space tho.

I had no intention of keeping all 3 units & I guess now I'm having doubts about parting with the 300L. I can't keep all of them can I? Or can I?

OP, I would say definitely (and despite the monetary aspect of it, and your wallet/wife possibly hating me) do NOT lose the 300L.

From my experience, I agree with your findings & description.
In Lexiconland, speaking of colour & flavour, the 224 is like a barrell of thick sweet molasses, the 480 is like maple syrup, and the 300 like liquid refined brown sugar (no, NOT the smack!).
Some things the 480 does, like some long halls, some rooms, some special stuff (was it the gated hall or something like that?) just are the 480's own, as is the way it has of sitting in a pop or rock mix, nobody comes close - even the famed ambience programs sound different done by the 480 or the 300.
However, the 300 is leaner & subjectively more modern, neutral - conversion & a newer generation. Therefore as a high class studio reverb in some areas it outdates (but I will not stay outdoes!) the 480 - on some lighter handed, gentler material U might in fact prefer it. Still Lexicon signature, yet modern & clean, without getting into Bricasti superclean space emulation land.
Also, the fan noise & cards airborne crud/dust always was a bit of an issue with the 480 in whichever studio I found one - but still always invariably loved the sound of it.

Btw the new 960 I've never managed to love, even the interface & remote seem finnicky to me with that little joystick, the tendency to offer too much in too little display space, and the really laughable metering - in this realm of modern day machines and of $$$, I much prefer the TC Electronic 6000 - plus, to get back to the edulcorated analogy I used earlier, the 960 always does sounds sweet, but somewhat like Nutrasweet or Aspartame to me.

Btw again, I could quote U from here to infinity r.e. the AMS RMX16 - absolutely my favourite hardware reverb, EVER.
99% of the times it's what the lead vocal gets in my mixes, on some instrumental rock stuff the lead guitar got that royal treatment, on some poppy/electronic stuff the snare reigned thru it - as Prince teaches, btw.

I find the Lexicon 480 is the reverb that makes fellow producers or engineers say "What did U put on the vocal, it's nice?" but the AMS RMX16 is what makes the ARTIST say "What did U do to my voice now?? It's lovely!".

All of the above in my opinion & experience, of course.

Happy reverberating,

A
F
Quote:

Bricasti would be great but not essential for what I'm doing. Electronic music.
I also do only electronic music and I love my Bricasti. I'd never spent the almost the same amount of money for a 480L that might break down soon without the possibility for repair. Since you already have a lot of Lexicon flavor, you should really check the Bricasti out. Or something else.
Lives for gear
For non-Lex stuff the T.C 4000 is my favourite for halls and plates.
Old 17th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage.One View Post
For non-Lex stuff the T.C 4000 is my favourite for halls and plates.
Never been a Fan of the TC 4000 with Music even though it has some 6000 algo's. I'm sure if I was doing Film and Foley that might be different, though considering they brought out the TC 6000 MKII they must be doing something right! The 4000 ICON remote being a Monitor Display and then wasn't there some problem with saving Presets created via System Ex Midi on the 4000 to certain DAW programs etc, or am I thinking of another unit?

Still the M5000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 are seriously understated units, maybe they are just too clean for certain music styles. Quantec QRS often sounds a touch to neutral on Music. Certainly a taste thing, though absolutely nothing wrong with the TC reverb line! 2000's and 3000's that are dual engine have been going for silly money!
Old 18th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Never been a Fan of the TC 4000 with Music even though it has some 6000 algo's. I'm sure if I was doing Film and Foley that might be different, though considering they brought out the TC 6000 MKII they must be doing something right! The 4000 ICON remote being a Monitor Display and then wasn't there some problem with saving Presets created via System Ex Midi on the 4000 to certain DAW programs etc, or am I thinking of another unit?

Still the M5000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 are seriously understated units, maybe they are just too clean for certain music styles. Quantec QRS often sounds a touch to neutral on Music. Certainly a taste thing, though absolutely nothing wrong with the TC reverb line! 2000's and 3000's that are dual engine have been going for silly money!
Don't forget the ICON software.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Personally, I really like my 4000.

And I say this using the bigger brother, the System 6000 with remote controller etc, almost on a daily basis in a place that isn't my own.
I don't miss the remote that much, although it has some ergonomic and a lot of "bling" value.
Sound wise, the TC4000 is top notch, and in a different class than the 2000 & 3000 (the latter I also have & use). The EMT Plates programs are lovely, and the Dark Red Velvet program is just beautiful, to my ears & in my experience.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaeffe View Post

Personally, I really like my 4000.

And I say this using the bigger brother, the System 6000 with remote controller etc, almost on a daily basis in a place that isn't my own.
I don't miss the remote that much, although it has some ergonomic and a lot of "bling" value.
Sound wise, the TC4000 is top notch, and in a different class than the 2000 & 3000 (the latter I also have & use). The EMT Plates programs are lovely, and the Dark Red Velvet program is just beautiful, to my ears & in my experience.
Actually I should try the 4000 again, as it's been around 8 years since I touched a unit. I've seen a few 2000's and 3000's going for silly money, though I always think, man, I have enough verbage already!
Old 21st April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually I should try the 4000 again, as it's been around 8 years since I touched a unit. I've seen a few 2000's and 3000's going for silly money, though I always think, man, I have enough verbage already!

Good, do give your TC 4000 a spin again...

Btw I just remembered that apart from the already mentioned programs, one I have recently been using a lot as a main drum "room" is the Ambient Hall preset, shortened to some 1 sec cca - oomph aplenty.
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear

I sold off my 300, [which I loved], as my fear of parts and support drying up got to be too much for my old heart.

all the best,
Sean
📝 Reply